Skip to main content

Well, I just bought a few bottles of the Lapostolle 2018 Cuvee Alexandre Cabernet Sauvignon. I don't know if this is a record on this forum, but it is the 25th vintage in a row that I've purchased a red Cuvee Alexandre bottling from Lapostolle (formerly Casa Lapostolle); every year they have produced wine. 

The early years were primarily Merlot, I'm not sure when they started with the Cabernet Sauvignon, but they have dominated in recent years.There were multiple purchases many years....Chardonnay, Carmenere, etc. And of course, the Clos Apalta; which debuted in 1997. My memory says I've purchased 5 vintages of the Clos Apalta...even fortunate to grab 4 bottles of the WOTY 2005 before any reviews and currently have 4 of the 2015 vintage waiting patiently for their time.

Anyway, I don't post much, but I thought some of you folks would enjoy this little "25th Anniversary" announcement. Curious if there are similar longevity stories out there?.....I'm sure a few can probably blow away my 25 years!!

Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Racer,

Good question....for some reason I seem to remember the 1997 Cuvee Alexandre Merlot as being very good; I cannot recall the details. Also, of course the 2005 Clos Apalta.

Otherwise 2 comments re: trends, etc. First, the consistency of the Cuvee Alexandre reds. You know what you're getting, and that is a consistent (IMO) 91 point bottle for under $20.  

Second, I would comment on the vision and recognition of the Apalta Vineyard potential by the family back in 1994. Again IMO, the proof is in the bottle of Clos Apalta. There are critics, but the wine has reached World Class status for what it is....a Chilean red. And that's what it is, not a Bordeaux or a Napa Cabernet, etc.  

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.