Before you read further, please understand I am a NOVICE wine collector who is confused. (So what else is new?) Here is the dilema and question.

I was in a local discounter and found a rack of wine labelled Lafite Rothschild Pauillac 2001. The label also says, "bottled exclusively for Chalone by Les Domaines Baron de Rothschild (Lafite)". In another place on the label it says Imported by The Chalone Wine Group - Napa, CA.

It is for sale for $22.99. A search on Wine Spectator says that based on a barrel test, their rating will be 95 to 100 on a 2001 Lafite Rothschild.

This sounds too good to be true. Am I really looking at a 2001 Lafite Rothschild Pauillac for $22.99???????? Or maybe I should ask another way. Is $22.99 a fair price?

Thanks for the help.
Original Post
It's too good to be true. I think that what you are looking at is the Barons de Rothschild, Reserve Speciale, which typically retails at about $25 a bottle.

A quick search of Chalone Wine Group came up with this from their website:

"In 1989, Phil Woodward and Baron Eric de Rothschild embarked upon a partnership agreement that joined Chalone Wine Group with Domaines Barons de Rothschild (Lafite). This relationship led to the addition of Château Duhart-Milon to the Chalone Wine Group portfolio, with Chalone Wine Group owning 24 percent of this highly regarded Pauillac estate that neighbors the Lafite vineyards. "
Could this be the Duhart-Milon 2001? If so, $22.99 seems like a fair price for this wine, but hardly the quality of the first growth. Then again, its hardly the price of the first growth! On a side note, if this wine is labeled on the shelf in such a way that it indicates this wine is a first growth, then that is pretty messed up if you ask me.
Rothko nailed it.

I'm sure it's the "Reserve Speciale". The label should be a pale yellow, and have the 'R' with the multiple arrows going through it. Here's a link to their website:

Reserve Speciale Pauillac

I had picked up a couple of the '99s a year or so ago, for somewhere around $19. While it's not bad, you can certainly find better wines at less $ than this.

As a side note, I have seen this in restaurants (yep - more than one) on the wine list as "Chateau Lafite-Rothschild". I guess they figured if Rothschild is mentioned on the label somewhere they can list it as such on the wine list Roll Eyes.
Rothko and AllRedATT are right about the label. It does have the Lafite Barons De Rothschild R with 5 arrows through it. Label is pale light yellow/beige and it does have the words Riserve Spiciale. This is very misleading to the unsuspecting and ill informed. I believe the World Market's store sign over the wine rack even said Lafite Rothschild 2001. The label on the Riserve Spiciale does not resemble the label of a "real" Lafite Rothschild. If there is interest, I will try to take a pic of the label and post it.

Thanks everyone for your help. Tuition was cheap for this one.

Add Reply

Likes (0)