Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

A group tasting last night with eight of the Toronto crew. We each ordered a set of 4 oz glass taster bottles on Amazon, divided a bottle of wine into eight equal portions (roughly 3 oz each) and met in a parking lot at noon to exchange taster bottles, using an appropriately socially distanced method. 

Have to say we got some strange looks and queries from passers-by. No, we weren't distributing vials of hydroxychloroquine.

The tasting started at 8 pm on Zoom. Eight participants, eight bottles of wine. All the wines were tasted blind, except we knew who contributed each wine.

If you can't meet in person to share wine, this is the next best option. It was the best Zoom I've had so far.

The lineup:

2004 Zind-Humbrecht Riesling Rangen de Thann Clos St. Urbain 
2010 Domaine Fontaine-Gagnard Chassagne-Montrachet 1er Cru Les Caillerets
1997 Domaine J. Chamonard Morgon Le Clos De Lys
1998 Fontodi Syrah Case Via Colli della Toscana Centrale IGT
2001 Casa Lapostolle Clos Apalta
2001 Bruno Giacosa Barolo
2005 Paitin di Pasquero-Elia Barbaresco Sorì Paitin
2013 Jean-Michel Stephan Côte-Rôtie

@jcocktosten posted:

Not sure about the Special Reserve part - but we had terrible luck with the 2012s.  I think every bottle of it we had was bad.  Pity.

This was really good. Threw lots of sediment. The tannins were noticeable but not overpowering. Dark fruits all around. It would be interesting to see how this drank in a couple years, however, this was my only bottle.

J3

Last edited by jcubed

1955 Martinez 

1970 taylor/warres/dow

1982 inglenook

1984 dominus ( connection between those bottles same vineyard father died daughters consult with Cristian M of BDx/ pettus and in 84 dominus first vintage released 

1991 and 1994 dominus

A few vintage champagnes

Has been an excellent first week of June in terms of wine.

Being from and in NY last few months  made me reassess my drinking patterns and realize what am I holding it on for

@winetarelli posted:

Hmmm... three LdH posts in a row.

Ironically, I’m not feeling the wines as much these days.  The rosado was very good and interesting, but certainly not a “wow” wine. Not even up to the 2018 Pradeaux, imo. 

Great tasters think alike.

I loved the 2009 rosado. I found it better than the 2008 but I haven't yet tried the 2010 I purchased recently. I find with Tondonia they are more interesting when consumed irregularly because they are so different than the kind of wines we consume regularly.

Last edited by mimik
@mimik posted:

Great tasters think alike.

I loved the 2009 rosado. I found it better than the 2008 but I haven't yet tried the 2010 I purchased recently. I find with Tondonia they are more interesting when consumed irregularly because they are so different than the kind of wines we consume regularly.

That is a good point. The most striking thing about the rosado is how immediately identifiable it is as a (LdH) Rioja.  Most rosés don’t actually taste fully like the pink version of their red counterparts, but the LdH really does.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.