sunnylea57 posted:
vinoevelo posted:
sunnylea57 posted:

2013 Elvio Congo Pre-Phylloxera Barbera d'Alba DOC

but was it any good?  better than a top barbera from vietti or giacosa et. al.?

I saw you had it on IG and have been wondering.....

E, I honestly don’t have enough Barbera experience to compare it to Vietti or Giacosa or any others. But I can tell you that it’s a very good wine. Powerful, concentrated, juicy sweet raspberry, wood spice, sous bois, excellent acidity... but a nice velvety feel on the back end with a long finish. I think AG’s TN is accurate. I have another bottle with your name on it. 

EDIT: I just revisited it tonight and it’s interesting how it has lightened and softened. It now comes across almost like a good Etna Rosso. Burgundian, but with that flinty, ashy Etna note.

very interested in this.   I've got a giacosa barbera i just coincidentally pulled out of storage earmarked for the occaision.  Now i just need to find a day we can enjoy a gentlemens lunch to compare.....  

Standouts from a week with favored houseguests:

2000 Pavillon Rouge du Margaux.  More mature that earlier bottles I've tasted, but still lovely with deep fruit and velvety tannin.

2001 Solaia.  Best ever of the half dozen or so of these I've had.  Really wonderful.

2001 Fanti Brunello.  An amazing showing.

1995 Costanti Brunello Riserva.  Amazingly slow to open up.  After an hour, this wine was just singing.  My WOTY so far.  Classic and delightful.  

PH

Recently

2012 Jardin D'Edouard, Muscadet Sevre et Maine, Chateau-Thebaud

2012 Querce Bettina, RdM

2018 Badenhorst, Secateurs Rosé

The Jardin D'Edouard was unlike any Muscadet I've had before. Admittedly that was not a very high bar as the previous best was probably little more than "OK". It is also the oldest one I've ever had due to extended lees aging. Fuller bodied and more complex, I will be going back to pick up some more.

steve8 posted:

Recently

2012 Jardin D'Edouard, Muscadet Sevre et Maine, Chateau-Thebaud

2012 Querce Bettina, RdM

2018 Badenhorst, Secateurs Rosé

The Jardin D'Edouard was unlike any Muscadet I've had before. Admittedly that was not a very high bar as the previous best was probably little more than "OK". It is also the oldest one I've ever had due to extended lees aging. Fuller bodied and more complex, I will be going back to pick up some more.

btw, Mimik is a great guy.

Steve8, How was the querce Rosso? I had the 2009 and I thought it was average for the price. 

Canada Day long weekend wines (so far).

N.V. Pierre Moncuit Champagne Cuvée Hugues de Coulmet Blanc de Blancs Brut

2012 Poderi Aldo Conterno Langhe Bussiador

2011 Domaine Vincent and Sophie Morey Santenay Les Hâtes

1994 Beringer Cab Sauv Private Reserve

Big fan of the Moncuit BdB as a daily drinker Champagne. Super value. Lovely balance between the citrus and brioche, creamy texture, and just the right level of dosage for my taste.

The Conterno Chard is a little too oaky - not in a buttery way, but in a woody, licking a 2x4 way. Others said they barely noticed the oak, but my sensitivity to oak is increasing.

My CT note from last fall in the Burg still stands: Crunchy red fruit, a little sous bois, a bit of woodiness (stem inclusion?), good body and weight, and a medium-long finish. What's not to like?

Loved the Beringer. Fruit still vibrant and tangy, licorice overtones, smoky, plummy, a hint of capsicum. Texture like plush velvet.

mimik posted:

Steve8, How was the querce Rosso? I had the 2009 and I thought it was average for the price. 

It was delicious as were the other bottles I've had recently, but for the same price the 2015 is even better. That said, I would agree the price of this RdM is borderline...so I only buy it during a "sale".

thelostverse posted:

Last night 2014 Rivers Marie Chardonnay Sonoma Coast. 

I finished the bottle of 14' Rivers Marie Chard last night and it was miles better than it was upon opening.

Last night I also opened a 2015 Bedrock Sauvignon Blanc Staves of Waidhofen.  Still in a nice place.

vinoevelo posted:
sunnylea57 posted:
vinoevelo posted:
sunnylea57 posted:

2013 Elvio Congo Pre-Phylloxera Barbera d'Alba DOC

but was it any good?  better than a top barbera from vietti or giacosa et. al.?

I saw you had it on IG and have been wondering.....

E, I honestly don’t have enough Barbera experience to compare it to Vietti or Giacosa or any others. But I can tell you that it’s a very good wine. Powerful, concentrated, juicy sweet raspberry, wood spice, sous bois, excellent acidity... but a nice velvety feel on the back end with a long finish. I think AG’s TN is accurate. I have another bottle with your name on it. 

EDIT: I just revisited it tonight and it’s interesting how it has lightened and softened. It now comes across almost like a good Etna Rosso. Burgundian, but with that flinty, ashy Etna note.

very interested in this.   I've got a giacosa barbera i just coincidentally pulled out of storage earmarked for the occaision.  Now i just need to find a day we can enjoy a gentlemens lunch to compare.....  

Would be interested in how these compare.  My interest in Barbera has been on the rise for some time, driven by how tasty some older Aldo Conterno Conca Tre Pile was.  

Add Reply

Likes (0)