Last weekend I had a bottle of Graham Beck Brut Rose from South Africa.  For an entry level sparkling Rose it was fresh, a little fruity, and simple, but quite quaffable.  This is not a complex wine.  But, I'd score it in the mid 80's.  Not a special occasion wine, but on a lazy hot summer afternoon on the back porch, you could do worse.

irwin posted:

Last weekend I had a bottle of Graham Beck Brut Rose from South Africa.  For an entry level sparkling Rose it was fresh, a little fruity, and simple, but quite quaffable.  This is not a complex wine.  But, I'd score it in the mid 80's.  Not a special occasion wine, but on a lazy hot summer afternoon on the back porch, you could do worse.

We frequently have this by the glass as an aperitif at restaurants 

jcocktosten posted:
irwin posted:

It was at the City Fish Market in Boca Raton. 

irwin posted:
jcocktosten posted:
irwin posted:

It was at the City Fish Market in Boca Raton. 

Makes sense.  On the list at on of our usual haunts in Key West that is about a 15 minute walk from the house, 20 if we are slow or stop to say hello to anyone - so in the summer we often want a glass of something chilled before whatever wine we bring so often turn to this

Over the last week or so:

2014 Once & Future Zin Old Vine Bedrock Vineyard (corked)
2013 Twomey Pinot RRV
NV Laurent-Perrier Champagne Rose
2008 Guigal Cote-Rotie Chaeatu d'Ampuis
NV Godme Sabine Champagne Rose
2016 Robert Biale Zin Black Chicken
NV Henri Goutorbe Champagne Cuvee Presige
2014 Wayfarer Chardonnay Wayfarer Vineyard
2014 Silver Oak Napa

The Guigal and Biale were the two that still linger in my mind as I type this.

thelostverse posted:

2013 Twomey Pinot RRV
2014 Silver Oak Napa

Allred brought the same Guigal to Tusk recently. It may be my red of the year so far. I own two of the 2013 FWIW.

billhike posted:
thelostverse posted:

2013 Twomey Pinot RRV
2014 Silver Oak Napa

Allred brought the same Guigal to Tusk recently. It may be my red of the year so far. I own two of the 2013 FWIW.

It was after that offline (that we couldn't attend) that he told me about it - so Mrs. TLV went out and bought six of them.

2018 Geil, Gewurztraminer, Mettenheimer Michelsberg Kabinett

Not bad but a little too sweet for me and considering it's a Kabinett I'd hate to think what a Spatlese or Auslese would be like. That said, I'd never seen a Gewurz labelled like that before. I thought it was only Rieslings which were classified as such.

I guess I have been lucky for my recent drinking experience

Chateau Lafite Rothschild 1996

Chateau La Mission Haut Brion 1975 - a legend bottle 

Chateau Pavie Decesse 1999 - To me the better pavie

Vogue Musigny Grand Cru 1981

Clair Dau Bonnes Mares 1980

La Mouline 1999

Jadot Chevallier Montrachet Les Demoiselles 2001

Joseph Drouhin Musigny Grand Cru 2009

Poggio di Sotto BDM 2011

Verite Le Desir 2014

Dom Perignon 2003

Dom Perignon 2005

Cederic bouchard Cote de Bechalin

Lafon Meursault genevrieres 1er cru 1998

Roberto Voerzio Brunate 2009

Giacomo Conterno Cascina Francia 2009

Viberti Bricco Delle Viole 2009

Auguste Clape Cornas 2007

2013 Elvio Congo Pre-Phylloxera Barbera d'Alba DOC

Apparently the only Barbera d'Alba produced from ungrafted vines. The vineyard was planted 120+ years ago and survived Phylloxera because of the vineyard's sandy soil, which deterred the Phylloxera aphid. The current vines come from pre-grafted plants and were propagated by cuttings.

sunnylea57 posted:

Apparently the only Barbera d'Alba produced from ungrafted vines. The vineyard was planted 120+ years ago and survived Phylloxera because of the vineyard's sandy soil, which deterred the Phylloxera aphid. The current vines come from pre-grafted plants and were propagated by cuttings.

but was it any good?  better than a top barbera from vietti or giacosa et. al.?

I saw you had it on IG and have been wondering.....

over the weekend with family:

2017 Charles & Philippe brand Fleurs Maceration - one of the best orange wines i've had in a long time.

2015 Frederic Brouca Samso Seulle - this producer continues to impress me.  old vine cinsault.  Fut - i've got a bottle with your name on it.

2016 Commando G La Bruja de Rozas 

2014 Dirty & Rowdy Familiar Blanc

2014 tenuta della terre nere etna rosso - tannins are mellowing and starting to hit its stride 5 years in.

2016 Damien Coquelet Morgon Cote du Puy

2013 Domaine de L'Ecu Muscadet Orthogneiss - spurred to open one based on Mangiare's positive note from the recent past - sadly only got one glass that was too cold, started cooking, turned around and the bottle was gone. 

2012 Dominio de Bibei Lalama.

vinoevelo posted:
sunnylea57 posted:

but was it any good?  better than a top barbera from vietti or giacosa et. al.?

I saw you had it on IG and have been wondering.....

E, I honestly don’t have enough Barbera experience to compare it to Vietti or Giacosa or any others. But I can tell you that it’s a very good wine. Powerful, concentrated, juicy sweet raspberry, wood spice, sous bois, excellent acidity... but a nice velvety feel on the back end with a long finish. I think AG’s TN is accurate. I have another bottle with your name on it. 

EDIT: I just revisited it tonight and it’s interesting how it has lightened and softened. It now comes across almost like a good Etna Rosso. Burgundian, but with that flinty, ashy Etna note.

Add Reply

Likes (0)