June 2018: What's for Dinner?

My GF and I had dinner at the Met's Dining Room on Saturday night.   It was the first time for us.  Previously, it was open to patrons of the Met but recently opened to any guests.  However, their hours are limited to Friday and Saturday nights for dinner and lunch on the other days.   I opted for their Mexican tasting menu with the spirits tasting, and all the dishes were delicious as were the tequila and tequila-based cocktails.  Highly recommend it.  

Original Post

Chicken Marsala meatballs.  It was a recipe from Giada D. and, while the idea was great, her recipe fell a little flat.  Next time, I'll add a bit more to the meatball mix, and possibly some herbs to the sauce.  Fun twist on a classic, though.

Sous vide porkchops in olive oil and smoked paprika then seared super hot. 

Blistered cherry tomatoes, wilted spinach and pine nuts 

Eton mess 

God I love Eton mess. And when you whip the cream by hand you can say that you did enough exercise to be allowed to enjoy it ... 

I did baby back ribs using the Alton Brown recipe.  I've done it before and like it, if one is doing ribs without a smoker (I know, I know...).  However, this time, I cooked them near-done the day before and finished them on the grill the next evening.  They were good, but I don't think the rest helped.  It was more a matter of efficiency with a bunch of guests coming over.  I guess I'll have to do them again sometime soon!  Served with sides of coleslaw and corn bread.

BRR posted:

I did baby back ribs using the Alton Brown recipe.  I've done it before and like it, if one is doing ribs without a smoker (I know, I know...).  However, this time, I cooked them near-done the day before and finished them on the grill the next evening.  They were good, but I don't think the rest helped.  It was more a matter of efficiency with a bunch of guests coming over.  I guess I'll have to do them again sometime soon!  Served with sides of coleslaw and corn bread.

Is that the oven recipe from Good Eats where he wraps it in foil (Texas Crutch) and then makes a funnel at one end to pour liquid into? I tried that one early on and wasn't too impressed. The amount of liquid he recommends using makes it too mushy, almost par-boiled. I expected a good 'ol Southern boy like him to do better on BBQ.

I did like his cardboard box smoker design. Never got around to trying it out, but it seems ingeniously cheap. So long as the hotplate doesn't get too near the cardboard walls...

vinoevelo posted:
winoca posted:

Tonight - gnocchi with fresh morels, porcinis and fava beans.

drool...

Whole Foods had fresh morels and porcinis for $25/lb and I bought 1/2lb of each (how could I pass that up?) and the potato, eggs and fava beans came from the farmer's market. Besides the gnocchi prep it was pretty quick and simple but what a treat, and there's a couple dozen gnocchi in the freezer to boot. We had a 2007 60/40 grenache/syrah to go with it. Everything was so fresh we decided to go fancy on a Tuesday night.

Indian style dahl with red lentils, tiny potatoes, chopped tomatoes, carrots, green beans, and  mushrooms, serrano chilis, garlic, ginger, cumin, crushed coriander seeds (a few spices and misc I'm likely missing). Vegetarian except for the defrosted chicken stock make (can't rave enough about the Instant Pot stock results) it a little more rich and flavorful.

Add Reply

Likes (0)