June 2018 - What are you drinking?

Last Thursday, a Pinot-themed dinner with some west LA winos:

2012 Merry Edwards PN "Georgeanne"

2012 Kistler PN Russian River Valley

2013 Martinelli PN Bondi Home Water Trough

2015 Macrostie PN Thale's Vineyard (group's 3rd place)

2015 Kosta Browne PN RRV (group's 2nd place)

2008 Clos Pepe PN Vigneron Select

2008 Longoria PN Fe Ciega Vineyard (group's, and my, WOTN)

2013 Ave PN La Encantada Founder's Reserve Clone 777

2013 Sea Smoke PN Southing

2013 Handwritten PN Sta Rita Hills

2013 The HIlt PN Sta Rita Hills "Vanguard"

2013 Rhys PN Bearwallow Vineyard

vs posted:

Last Thursday, a Pinot-themed dinner with some west LA winos:

2012 Merry Edwards PN "Georgeanne"

2012 Kistler PN Russian River Valley

2013 Martinelli PN Bondi Home Water Trough

2015 Macrostie PN Thale's Vineyard (group's 3rd place)

2015 Kosta Browne PN RRV (group's 2nd place)

2008 Clos Pepe PN Vigneron Select

2008 Longoria PN Fe Ciega Vineyard (group's, and my, WOTN)

2013 Ave PN La Encantada Founder's Reserve Clone 777

2013 Sea Smoke PN Southing

2013 Handwritten PN Sta Rita Hills

2013 The HIlt PN Sta Rita Hills "Vanguard"

2013 Rhys PN Bearwallow Vineyard

Sounds like a great night 

futronic posted:
sunnylea57 posted:

Consumed at the cottage so far this weekend:

2001 La Rioja Alta Rioja Gran Reserva 904

Planked salmon for dinner to go with all that dill?

Bah ha ha. But actually yes, that’s exactly what we had!

This was my last ‘01 904 and while the dill and coconut were still apparent, they didn’t overwhelm the high toned fruit. 

Even so, this just ain’t my style. 

Tonight: 2011 Remelluri Rioja Reserva. Now THIS is my style. Excellent and ready to rock. 

sunnylea57 posted:
futronic posted:
sunnylea57 posted:

This was my last ‘01 904 and while the dill and coconut were still apparent, they didn’t overwhelm the high toned fruit. 

Tonight: 2011 Remelluri Rioja Reserva. Now THIS is my style. Excellent and ready to rock. 

Haha! May as well pair the wine accordingly! Nice on the Remelluri. I'm planning on opening one of the 1999 Gran Reservas tonight at a certain midtown Spanish place.

futronic posted:
sunnylea57 posted:
futronic posted:
sunnylea57 posted:

Haha! May as well pair the wine accordingly! Nice on the Remelluri. I'm planning on opening one of the 1999 Gran Reservas tonight at a certain midtown Spanish place.

Cava?  Great food, I need to go there more often.  

Last night with grilled rib eyes at the cottage:

1988 Cos D’Estournel

2002 Detert Cabernet Sauvignon

Mrs S had a glass of the Detert, but otherwise the 2 bottles were consumed by myself and my brother-in-law. Both bottles were awesome, but of course they were very different.

shanet posted:

Last night at The Edge, Rancho Mirage:

- Krug Grand Cuvee

- 1982 Gruaud Larose (Flawless, and WOTY for me so far.)

- 2013 Robert Foley CS (Excellent juice)

Sounds like a great night. If you still consider that WOTY in mid August that will  really be saying something

2012 Carol Shelton Wild Thing Zinfandel

Don't drink a lot of Zin, but this is the type I like when I do partake in some.  Better than average structure for Zin, not overblown, and some nice pepper on the finish.  I think these typically retail in the $15 to $18 range.  I only paid $11 for this bottle, but I would be a buyer at the regular price.

Saturday night at Richmond Station

2006 Marc Hebrart Special Club - a little appley for me, still needs time

2009 Mount Eden Chardonnay - delicious and still plenty of life ahead of it

2010 - Ridge Estate CS - still youthful but starting to enter its drinking window.  Really nice.

2013 - Ridge Estate CS - A bruiser for sure.  Don't touch for at least 5 more years.  Good potenital

2014 - Ridge Estate CS - surprisingly good for such a young wine.  Won't be a long ager, but still really good juice.

csm posted:

2010 - Ridge Estate CS - still youthful but starting to enter its drinking window.  Really nice.

2013 - Ridge Estate CS - A bruiser for sure.  Don't touch for at least 5 more years.  Good potenital

2014 - Ridge Estate CS - surprisingly good for such a young wine.  Won't be a long ager, but still really good juice.

Good morning. This strikes me as having the makings of a memorable wine event. Congratulations to those involved. I am very much a Ridge Estate aficionado and I would agree wholeheartedly that the 2013 vintage is one for the ages and will require considerable more time before it is approachable. It is my opinion that the 2009 and 2010 vintages are worthy of opening at the moment, although both will benefit from time in a decanter.

csm, have you had much experience with Ridge wines? While the Monte Bello is truly in a class of its own I would state with confidence that the Estate wine strides only a few paces behind its big brother (or sister, or perhaps even its non-binary sibling, depending upon your point of view).

I wish you well in your continued exploration of the wines of Ridge.

Derek B

emporanium posted:
csm posted:

Good morning. This strikes me as having the makings of a memorable wine event. Congratulations to those involved. I am very much a Ridge Estate aficionado and I would agree wholeheartedly that the 2013 vintage is one for the ages and will require considerable more time before it is approachable. It is my opinion that the 2009 and 2010 vintages are worthy of opening at the moment, although both will benefit from time in a decanter.

csm, have you had much experience with Ridge wines? While the Monte Bello is truly in a class of its own I would state with confidence that the Estate wine strides only a few paces behind its big brother (or sister, or perhaps even its non-binary sibling, depending upon your point of view).

I wish you well in your continued exploration of the wines of Ridge.

Derek B

Have had lots of Monte Bellos before. The Estate used to be a staggeringly good value at the local monopoly so I have a bunch of these. Ridge is a favourite of mine. 

over the last bit:

- 2015 Baudry les Grezaux

- 2001 Foradori Granato.  Wow good.

- 2005 Terre Nerre Calderara Sottanna. Wow good.

-2016 Pedro Parra Pencopolitano & Imaginador - both very young but show good promise.  I preferred that old vine cinsault Imaginador over the field blend Pencopolitano.  Drank over two nights.

-2015 Montes Outer Limits Zapallar Coast Sauv Blanc  - my last bottle - a really interesting completely electric-makes-my-hair-standup-with full-goosebumps SB.  Was introduced to it over dinner at Borago and wish i could source some more.

-1996 Rocche dei Manzoni Barolo Vigna Capella S. Stefano di Perno.  Really good barolo.  Just coming into its tertiary drinking window.  Got better over the 5 hours we sipped it.

- 2006 Copain Syrah les voisins (from mag) - competent cali syrah for a large BBQ spread.

- 2007 Far Niente Cab Sauv.  

- 2015 Altesino RdM - love this.  such pure sangio fruit.  great with a light tomato-based pasta.

Recently

NV Chartogne-Taillet, Champagne, Cuvée Sainte Anne

2015 Domaine Fouassier, Sancerre, Les Grands Groux

2016 Prà, Soave Classico, Otto

2017 Gerard Bertrand, Côtes des Roses (thanks for the tip Seaq)

2012 Creekside Estate, Syrah, Unbroken Press

Add Reply

Likes (0)