June 2018 - What are you drinking?

Last night at a dinner, for which Wine + Art was supposed to join us, with Uncle John, Mimik, Bman and Vinaigre. 

2006 Agrapart, Champagne

2014 Mas Igneus, Priorat, FA 104 White

2009 Domaine de Grand Veneur, CdP White

1998 Chateau Beaucastel, CdP

2001 Penfolds, Shiraz, RWT

2008 Shafer, Syrah, Relentless

1977 Fonseca, Vintage Port

I think I'm forgetting a wine? Outstanding wines. The only disappointment for me was the FA 104. The white CdP blew it away. 

Last night with Mimik, Vinaigre and our SO's

2008 Lopez de Heredia, Rioja, Rosé

2010 Neely, Chardonnay, Holly's Cuvée

1999 Moulin Touchais, CdL

2001 Siro Pacenti, BdM

2001 Azelia, Barolo, San Rocco

There was also a small taste of a 2010 Chateau Sociando-Mallet. For me the Pacenti was by far the WOTN. The San Rocco didn't give much initially but after a few hours in the decanter it was starting to shine. I would hold both.

Tonight with chicken/lemon/parsley risotto, we’re trying a few rosés.

- 2016 Lafond Tavel Rosé Roc Epine — darkest of the group, earthy, meaty, some Rhone funkiness, lots of personality; I’d like to like it more.

- 2017 Chateau Berne Rosé Aix en Provence — cherry, strawberry, nice acidity, beautiful pinkish-gold colour, shortish finish, very pleasant; comes in a square bottle that’s probably easy to stack

- 2017 Gerard Bertrand Rosé Languedoc Cotes du Roses — best of the group, nice floral nose, berry, light cherry flavour, hint of spice cake, fills the palate with flavour, fairly long finish; will buy more.

Have 7 more to try before picking 2 or 3 to stock up for summer patio sipping.

sunnylea57 posted:
jcocktosten posted:

2013 Château Smith Haut Lafitte Le Petit Blanc

2014 Sandler Wine Company Chardonnay Cuvée Ma Belle Heintz Ranch

2014 Château de Saint-Cosme Côtes du Rhône Les Deux Albion

2013 Gramercy Cellars Syrah Columbia Valley

2013 Buty Beast "Wildebeest"

Does this mean the Saint-Cosme and Gramercy showed better than the SHL Blanc and Wildebeast?

Nope - cut and paste from CT and apparently this happens to the font/display now.  Wonderful

seaquam posted:

- 2017 Gerard Bertrand Rosé Languedoc Cotes du Roses — best of the group, nice floral nose, berry, light cherry flavour, hint of spice cake, fills the palate with flavour, fairly long finish; will buy more.

Thanks for the tip. I'll grab some. $18.35 here.

steve8 posted:
seaquam posted:

Good price. It’s $24.99 here and still worth it IMHO.

seaquam posted:
steve8 posted:
seaquam posted:

Good price. It’s $24.99 here and still worth it IMHO.

Should have mentioned, another one I liked a lot from a few days ago is 2017 Mellot Sancerre Rosé La Rabaut, made from Pinot Noir, not complex but very tasty.

steve8 posted:

Last night with Mimik, Vinaigre and our SO's

2008 Lopez de Heredia, Rioja, Rosé

2010 Neely, Chardonnay, Holly's Cuvée

1999 Moulin Touchais, CdL

2001 Siro Pacenti, BdM

2001 Azelia, Barolo, San Rocco

There was also a small taste of a 2010 Chateau Sociando-Mallet. For me the Pacenti was by far the WOTN. The San Rocco didn't give much initially but after a few hours in the decanter it was starting to shine. I would hold both.

Sounds like a great evening. Sorry I missed it

2009 Marcel Lapierre Morgon. Hard to believe it’s not a good village or premier Cote du Beaune, lots of cherry and plum fruit, anise, bit of black pepper, juicy acidity, silky, long finish. Really tasty, but I’m wondering whether that acidity could keep this alive for a few more years; still have a couple more, so it’s a cheap experiment.

Recent wines:

2001 Lazzeretti BdM - A little shy at first but opened up nicely with some air.  A bit rustic in a good way.  Nice pair with a classic sausage pizza.

2014 Aeris Wines Etna Bianco - Nice fruit, clean and crisp.  Enjoyed it with a light pasta with lemon, chicken, garlic, evoo. 

2012 Domaine Dujac Bourgogne Blanc
2011 Marchesi Mazzei Maremma Toscana Tenuta Belguardo

An excellent bottle of the Dujac (it has been a bit variable). The Belguardo was very good (plenty of red fruit, plum, milk chocolate) and drinking well right now but not a repeat buy at $50 CAD.

2014 Stanner's Barrel Select Pinot Noir - not that big a fan of etiher pinot or ontario wines but this one is pretty good.

2001 Abbona Barolo Vigneto Terlo Ravera.  Good barolo, not great, but still very nice with cast iron flank steak.  Even smelling last nights empty decanter this morning made me smile.

Add Reply

Likes (0)