vinoevelo posted:
futronic posted:

Last night at an epic celebratory dinner with some fine gentlemen here in Toronto:

2013 Recaredo Cava Brut Nature Terrers – Disgorged September 2018, 53 months on lees

2012 Recaredo Cava Brut Nature Intens Rosat – Disgorged May 2016, 36 months on lees

2006 Recaredo Cava Brut Nature Brut de Brut Finca Serral del Vell – Disgorged March 2016, 105 months on lees
2008 Recaredo Cava Brut Nature Brut de Brut Finca Serral del Vell – Disgorged July 2018, 111 months on lees

2007 Recaredo Cava Brut Nature Brut de Brut Finca Serral del Vell – Disgorged May 2016, 96 months on lees
2007 Recaredo Cava Brut Nature Brut de Brut Finca Serral del Vell – Disgorged October 2016, 101 months on lees
2007 Recaredo Cava Brut Nature Brut de Brut Finca Serral del Vell – Disgorged June 2017, 109 months on lees

2004 Recaredo Cava Brut Nature Reserva Particular de Recaredo – Disgorged September 2015, 127 months on lees
2005 Recaredo Cava Brut Nature Reserva Particular de Recaredo – Disgorged October 2017, 137 months on lees
2000 Recaredo Cava Brut Nature Turo d’En Mota – Disgorged July 2011, 121 months on lees

1996 Ceretto Barolo Bricco Rocche Bricco Rocche
1995 Lopez de Heredia Rioja Gran Reserva Tondonia

1989 Chateau de Beaucastel Chateauneuf-du-Pape
1989 Domaine R. Girard Châteauneuf-du-Pape Cuvée du Belvédère Le Boucou
2006 Joan Simo Les Eres VV

Emilio Hidalgo Amontillado Especial Viejo "El Tresillo 1874"

I had been planning a dinner on many labels, vintages, and disgorgements of Recaredo's wines for some time, and I'm glad it finally came together. Wonderful wines all around, even if the 2008 Finca Serral dell Vell was a bit closed. I think it really demonstrated how fantastic Cava (now Corpinnat for Recaredo) can be at its best.

The different disgorgements of the 2007 Finca Serral dell Vell side-by-side were really interesting. The longer aging on lees retained significant freshness in the wine and contrasted against the evolution in bottle for the earlier disgorgement. The generally comment around the table was that the wines were similar but different.

The 2004 Reserva Particular edged the 2005, and the 2000 Turo d'En Mota was a standout on its own. Oh, and the Intens Rosat wasn't bad with gamay poached foie gras, either! 

Anyone that finds the 2013 Terrers at a decent price should pick some up, as it's the best bottling I've had of it in a few years.

All the reds were delicious too, save for a corked 2001 CVNE Rioja Gran Reserva Imperial , and The Emilio Hidalgo El Tresillo 1874 was lights out stunning. I could smell it from across the restaurant when the bottle was opened.

An awesome night and I appreciate everyone's camaraderie and contributions!

Awesome night Fut!  Still trying to process it all.  The cava's were amazing and that '89 beaucastel was lights out without a hint of brett. I can't get over the cured cod roe bag slider with caviar.....  telling anyone who will listen to me about it!

An awesome night all round.  One of those magical times when the food lived up to an incredible lineup of wines. 

All the wines were great, but the ones that caught my attention for very different reasons were:

2013 Recaredo Brut Nature Terrers - an incredibly good Cava for under $40 (Cdn) 

2004 Recaredo Brut Nature Reserva Particular - beautiful flavours highlighted by freshness

2000 Recaredo Brut Nature Turo d'En Mota - lots of delicacy and subtlety

javachip posted:

Last Sunday, with Mr. & Mrs. Jabe11 and some other friends:

(Vintage?)  Tempier Bandol Rose

2001 R. Lopez de Heredia Rioja Reserva Vina Tondonia

1997 Grange

1964 Barolo (something with "Mirandola" in the name).  Maderized but we drank it anyway.

Wines and people all showed well.

Nice evening, all bottles were fun to drink.  The rose was an ‘18

Last couple of nights...

2015 Monsanto CCR.  The ‘15 CCRs I’ve had are winners across the board.

2017 Miraval rose....I thought this was an ‘18 when I bought it at Costco (for $18) , but this was very vibrant and fresh. 

Second night at the campsite: a magnum of 1995 Burgess Cabernet Sauvignon Napa Valley Vintage Selection. Wow, this was just singing. Velvety texture, fully resolved tannins, vibrant and tart black fruit and black liquorice, excellent acidity, not a hint of this getting tired, and none of the sweetness to the fruit that I find on older vintages of lesser Cali Cabs. Thanks to OTW and the Muddler for turning me on to Burgess a few years ago.

Steve8 and I celebrated our bdays this past weekend with our better halves and KSC02 and P and C new comers in a chalet filled with great fun, food and wine. 

In no particular order we have with seafood Paella 

2017 Thorne and Daughters cape of good hope Rocking horse white blend 

2017 Danse encore côtes de Roussillon white 

2008 Bouchard père et fils meursault 

2006 Lopez de Heredia Tondonia  reserva red

2004 CVNE Imperial rioja Gran reserva 

2004 Clos Martinet Priorat

2006 Guigal la Turque Côté Rotie 

2017 Calabretta GAO gao vino Rosso

El Grofi semi sweet Malvasia volcanic soils

Saturday With artisanal cheeses and charcuterie

2011 Tardieu-Laurent Hermitage white

Nv Villemart and Cie grand cellier Champagne

2018 Hatzidakis nyhterini white

2011 Christian Moreau Chablis Valmur Grand cru

Saturday supper with bbqed endives and wild boar ragu and pasta 

2009 Nicolas Joly le vieux Clos

2001 Casanova di neri Cerreltalto bdm

1999 La poderina bdm

1999 Banfi Poggio all’oro bdm

2004 Pio cesare Ornato barolo

2004 calabretta Nero Mascarelli  

2007 Flaccianello igt 

2003 La tour blanche (750ml) Sauternes

my standouts: poderina, la turque, cvne rioja, ornato and la tour Blanche with notable mentions to the Nicolas Joly white 

mimik posted:

Steve8 and I celebrated our bdays this past weekend with our better halves and KSC02 and P and C new comers in a chalet filled with great fun, food and wine. 

Nv Villemart and Cie grand cellier Champagne

1999 La poderina bdm
2007 Flaccianello igt 

my standouts: poderina, la turque, cvne rioja, ornato and la tour Blanche with notable mentions to the Nicolas Joly white 

That's damned impressive.

mimik posted:

Nv Vilmart and Cie grand cellier Champagne

1999 La poderina bdm

2007 Flaccianello igt 

Somewhat humbling when a Banfi wine turns out to be the group's wine of the weekend, but the Poggio All'Oro was outstanding. The Cerretalto was flawed imho. Stewed prunes on the nose is not a desirable characteristic, but at least it was only on the nose.

The Calabretta Nerello Macalese was a discovery for me. Excellent juice from Sicily. Will look out for this wine in the future.

1933 Chateau Mosse Rivesaltes

I've been working through the bottle via coravin the last couple weeks. Last night I pulled the cork at Midnight and drank the final glass in honor of my mother reaching her 89th birthday. This bottle was the only thing I had older than her. Sadly she passed one hour later and today I have neither. RIP Mom

You mother died an hour after you drank the last glass you toasted her with for her birthday? Wow. That, I think, is an amazing spine-shiverer. Hopefully it was peacefully. My mother died two and a half years ago at 88. Thankfully she had a full, active, life until shortly before her death. Hope that was true for yours too.

bomba503 posted:

I've been working through the bottle via coravin the last couple weeks. Last night I pulled the cork at Midnight and drank the final glass in honor of my mother reaching her 89th birthday. This bottle was the only thing I had older than her. Sadly she passed one hour later and today I have neither. RIP Mom

Sorry to hear.  My condolences Bomba.

bomba503 posted:

My condolences Bomba. Sorry to hear.

bomba503 posted:

Deepest sympathies goes out to you and your family Bomba

Last night with VinT and his nephew prior to the Jays game:

1984 Burgess Cabernet Sauvignon Vintage Selection: can't stop loving this wine.
1992 Beringer Cabernet Sauvignon Private Reserve: acetone, balsamic and brown sugar. DUMPED.
2004 San Filippo Le Lucere Brunello di Montalcino Riserva: corked. DUMPED.
2009 Albert Morot Beaune Toussaints 1er Cru: delicious.

Batting .500 ... which is considerably better than the Jays' collective average. Although they DID pull off an impressive win last night, with Smoak tying the game with a homer in the bottom of the ninth and then winning it in the bottom of the 10th - a walk-off single with two on and two out.

azwiese posted:
bomba503 posted:

Deepest sympathies goes out to you and your family Bomba

+1

sounds like you kinda had an ethereal experience at the end.

Finally made it up to Pritchard Hill and did a tasting at Continuum. Holy cow is that place amazing. And the 2016 Continuum was really, really good. Their 2nd wine was pretty tasty as well, but not in the same league (nor is it trying to be). But I highly recommend getting up there if you get the chance.

I forgot one from last week which is definitely worth a mention

2007 La Massa, IGT, Giorgio Primo

This was outstanding. Huge nose, loads of fruit and well balanced. JS was not OTT with his 97 on this wine. I'm going to try and hold my other bottle for a few more years, but it might be tough.

Bomba, my condolences.

Last night, Hart Davis Hart had their annual Champagne tasting.  A lot of Champagne, and I tasted the following:

Vintage
2002 Piper-Heidsieck, Brut Cuvée Rare
2004 Charles Heidsieck, Blanc des Millénaires
2004 Laurent-Perrier, Cuvee Alendra Rose
2005 Charles Heidsieck, Brut
2006 Dom Pérignon Rosé Vintage
2006 Taittinger, Comtes de Champagne Rosé
2006 Gosset, Grand Millesime Brut
2007 Dom Ruinart, Blanc de Blancs
2007 Maurice Vesselle, Grand Cru, Brut
2007 Thienot, Cuvee Garance
2008 Henriot, Brut Millesime
2008 Delamotte, Blanc de Blancs
2008 Dom Pérignon Brut
2008 Veuve Clicquot, Brut La Grande Dame
2008 Veuve Clicquot, Brut Rosé
2009 Gaston Chiquet, Special Club Brut
2011 Launois Père & Fils, Grand Cru, Blanc de Blancs Brut
2013 Vouette et Sorbée, Extra Brut, Blanc d'Argile

Non-Vintage
MV Krug, Grande Cuvée, 167th Edition
NV André Clouet, Brut Rosé, Grand Cru (magnum)
NV Charles Heidsieck, Blanc de Blancs Brut
NV Charles Heidsieck, Brut Rosé Réserve
NV Delamotte, Brut
NV Fluteau, Blanc de Noirs
NV Etienne Calsac, Extra Brut, L'eshappee Belle
NV Ruppert-Leroy, Cuve 11,12,13...Brut Nature
NV Gosset, Grande Reserve Brut
NV Gosset, Grande Rose
NV Henriot, Brut Rose
NV Henriot, Blanc de Blancs Brut
NV Laurent-Perrier, Ultra Brut
NV Laurent-Perrier, Cuvee Rose Brut (magnum)
NV Laurent-Perrier, Grand Siecle (magnum)
NV Michel Arnould, Extra Brut, Grand Cru
NV Moussé Fils, L'Or d'Eugène, Blanc de Noir
NV Pierre Péters, Cuvée de Reservé, Blanc de Blancs
NV Piper-Heidsieck, Brut
NV Piper-Heidsieck, Brut Rosé Sauvage
NV Ruinart, Brut Blanc de Blancs (magnum)
NV Taittinger, Brut Cuvée Prestige Rosé
NV Taittinger, Prélude Grands Crus
NV Thienot, Blanc de Blancs
NV Thienot, Brut (magnum)
NV Thienot, Brut Rose (magnum)
NV Vilmart & Cie, Grand Cellier Brut

Did not get to these:
NV Billecart-Salmon, Brut (magnum)
NV Billecart-Salmon, Brut Rosé (magnum)
NV Billecart-Salmon, Brut Sous Bois
NV Billecart-Salmon, Extra Brut
NV Bollinger, Rosé
NV Bollinger, Special Cuvée
2010 Drappier, Grande Sendrée Brut Rosé
NV Drappier, Brut, Blanc de Quatre Blancs Quattuor 
NV Drappier, Brut Nature
NV Drappier, Carte d'Or Brut (magnum)
NV Drappier, Rosé Brut Nature

Really enjoyed almost every bottle I tried, with the exception of a few of the NV extra bruts and no dosage.  Overall favorite was the 2007 Dom Ruinart by a slight margin.  Honorable mention to the 2002 Piper-Heidsieck Rare, the 2008 Dom Perignon and 2008 Grande Dame, 2009 Gaston Chiquet Special Club, 2011 Launois and Krug 167th. 

2011 Tenuta Ca' Bolani Friuli Aquileia Sauvignon

2009 Domaine de Gournier Chardonnay Cevennes

2011 E. Guigal Côtes du Rhône

2013 Les Garrigues Côtes du Rhône

2013 Château Pesquié Ventoux Terrasses

2013 Real Companhia Velha Douro Quinta das Carvalhas

2017 Val do Salnes Albariño Rías Baixas

2006 Penfolds Koonunga Hill Shiraz Cabernet

2000 Château Labarthe

2001 Marqués de Griñón Dominio de Valdepusa

2009 Luce della Vite Lucente

Two shitty/flawed wines opened and dumped.

2010 Charles Joguet Chinon Cuvée Terroir. More barnyard than we like on the nose, and thin watery flavors.

2010 Romain Duverney Crozes-Hermitage. Aromas and entry flavor ok, but there is something nasty, rotten and ash-like on the back end. Blech.

Cutting my losses and moving to whisky...

billhike posted:

Two shitty/flawed wines opened and dumped.

2010 Charles Joguet Chinon Cuvée Terroir. More barnyard than we like on the nose, and thin watery flavors.

2010 Romain Duverney Crozes-Hermitage. Aromas and entry flavor ok, but there is something nasty, rotten and ash-like on the back end. Blech.

Cutting my losses and moving to whisky...

I feel ya....opened a 03 Lirac, Ch de Segries earlier this evening.  I wasn’t sure what to expect but  I was hoping it’d be drinkable....holy cow was I wrong, I wouldn’t even cook with this stuff.

2010 Altesino BDM - nice after two hours open

2011 Seasmoke Southing - very good at opening

2012 A Rafanelli Cab- horrendous green, weedy, bitter, undrinkable at opening. Almost poured it out.  After a couple hours actually enjoyable. Gonna hold mine another 5 to 10 years before revisiting

Add Reply

Likes (0)