2017 Domaine J. Boulon Brouilly. We don’t drink tons of Beaujolais but we really like this, as well as the Moulin a Vent from the same producer. Red fruit and sandalwood on the nose, with flavors of plum skin, both dark ripe and tart cherries, and pepper.

2016 Occhipinti SP68 bianco - one year on and already starting to oxidize.  Great wine young, have officially crossed the line of no faith for aging any of these.

2015 Bernard Baudry Les Granges - dont think too much. so good.  great typicity and balance for an entry level daily drinker.  Even better on 2nd night

2017 Clos del Rey Le Sabina.  Well liked by others at the table.  I thought it was a bit of hot mess.  

In the last 2 weeks:

2011 Occidental-Cuvee Catherine Pinot

2012 Littorai-The Haven Pinoy

2014 Peter Michael-Belle Cote Chard

2015 Aubert-Hyde Chard

2013 Dehlinger-Altamont Pinot

2007 Herb Lamb Cab

2016 A. P. Vin Pinot

2015 Beringer-Knights Valley Cab

2016 Dehlinger-Russian River Chard

doubled posted:

Having dinner with SD-Wineaux and his lovely bride tonight at Union Square Cafe.  ‘97 Ornellaia and ‘97 L’Ermita on tap.

Welcome to NYC SDWineaux. Hopefully you got back home safely. In additions to DD's contributions above, the lineup also included:

2008 Etienne Sauzet Puligny Montrachet

2012 Aubert Chardonnay 

2006 Belle Pente Pinot Noir

1989 Beaucastel CdP

1998 Leoville Las Cases

2002 Clarendon Hills Astralis (Needs at least another 5 years- drinking nicely the next day)

menu included tater tots cooked in duck fat with caviar- my gallbladder will never forgive me.

doubled posted:

Glad you were able to make it winedrmike!  The ‘89 Beaucastel was fantastic.  How was the Astralis on today?

Having a glass of the Astralis while I type this.  Mellowed out overnight.  Has a touch of menthol on the nose and palate but not overpowering. Really enjoyable, but I think my other bottles are going to need about 20 years of age before I open them.

vinoevelo posted:
Bytown Rick posted:

Last bottle of 2003 Domaine Jean-Louis Chave Selection Saint-Joseph Offerus

How was this Rick?

It has just gotten better with age -- this was best of the three we have had to date.  Drinking very nicely, but can't see it getting better.

Bytown Rick posted:
vinoevelo posted:
Bytown Rick posted:

How was this Rick?

It has just gotten better with age -- this was best of the three we have had to date.  Drinking very nicely, but can't see it getting better.

Did the heat of the vintage show through in these?

For Mrs. VeV's bday celevbrations over the weekend:

NV Bernard Gaucher Prestige Brut (2008 base) - these keep getting better with time.  High pinot % shines through with a good dose of autolytic notes as well.

1999 Ridge Pagani Ranch - Swoon. The whole kitchen filled with the scent of the wine when the cork came out.  So complex and balanced.

2006 Ben Glaetzer Amon-Ra - Monstrous blueberry pie in a glass.   Mrs. VeV loved it, I stuck to the Ridge.

2005 Carlisle Two Acres - in the same vein as the Ridge, but more mouvedre influence.  Seemed elegant and restrained after the Amon-Ra.  These Two Acres might be my favourite Carlisle bottling for thier uniqueness.

Fladgate 40 YO Tawny - brought by a friend.  Gorgeous stuff after dinner on the deck.

vinoevelo posted:
Bytown Rick posted:
vinoevelo posted:
Bytown Rick posted:

How was this Rick?

Did the heat of the vintage show through in these?

Seems to have handled the heat very well.   Good concentration without being jammy.  I remember reading somewhere that RP referred to the 2003 as the best Offerus to date.

This past weekend:

1984 Burgess Cab Sauv Vintage Selection
2013 The Hilt Chardonnay "The Vanguard"
2013 Tenuta delle Terre Nere Etna Rosso

Burgess: simply sublime. The Hilt: one of the better Cali Chards I’ve tried, with judicious use of oak, excellent depth and bracing acidity. And the Terre Nere was a winner with spatchcock bbq chicken. Mrs. S loved it.

sunnylea57 posted:
mangiare posted:

funny guy that Sunnylea, funny guy

2004 Tignanello - much darker in profile than most of the wines I've been drinking lately. No rush based on this bottle. 

Damn. Apparently it's only available in Tennessee:

http://www.shotgunredwine.com/WineStores2.html

I know a guy in NJ who has 2 cases of the 2004 Tig.    Let us know if you are in the neighborhood.  

1999 Alain Thienot Cuvée Alain Thiénot

1999 Beringer Cabernet Sauvignon Private Reserve

Both wines are drinking extremely well: The Thienot has a wonderful balance of mature notes and youthful vibrancy; the Beringer was decanted for sediment, and consumed over two hours.  It appeared rather young, and is an elegant and interesting wine, not unlike many other Beringer PR Cabs from the 80s and 90s.

Each of these wines should provide several more years of drinking enjoyment.

Last night at Scaramouche for a dear friend's birthday:

1996 Calon Segur - absolutely singing - 95 points easy

2006 Beaucastel Roussanne Vielles Vignes - this vintages is so atypical for this wine - never shut down and was gorgeous again last night.  One bottle left to go. 

Add Reply

Likes (0)