July 2018 - What Are You Buying?

wineocd posted:
bytownrick posted:

2016 Hamilton Russell Chardonnay

Any Good?    I think my favorite was the '15...

My mistake.  It was the 2017s that I bought.  This is a yearly purchase for me, but I haven't yet opened either the 2016s or 2017s.  I like them with a bit of age.  For my taste, the 2012s are drinking well, and have been for a while .

A quick tour of Niagara yesterday. No detailed list of what we tasted, but suffice to say that the wines I bought were my favourites at each location.

Leaning Post
Some decent Chards and Rieslings, especially the Wismer wines, but little that was worth buying. Wasn't a fan of their Pinots. Too much beetroot. Ended up buying a few of the Geek Riesling. Interesting process and profile.

3 x 2015 Leaning Post Riesling The Geek

Hidden Bench
A big step up from Leaning Post IMHO. Didn't try the Pinots, but very much enjoyed their Chards and Rieslings. Also enjoyed their 2013 Natur Zero Dosage sparkler. Bought 3 each of the following:

3 x 2014 Hidden Bench Riesling Roman's Block 
3 x 2014 Hidden Bench Chardonnay Felseck

Malivoire
Some very good wines - both red and white. Liked the Gamays and Chards. Bought the following:

2 x 2014 Malivoire Chardonnary Moira Vineyard
2 x 2015 Malivoire Cabernet Franc

Pearl Morissette
Always save the best for last. Was able to get a tasting appointment for the last slot of the last day they were offering tastings until probably later this year. Had an unexpected bonus: winemaker Brent Rowland conducted the tasting for us. Great guy. Ran through 6 bottles, plus a pour of the current Cab Franc from stainless. It'll hopefully be bottled in a month or two. My favourite of the day was the 2013 Black Ball Riesling, but I already have a bunch of that so instead I bought my other two favourites:

3 x 2016 Pearl Morissette Chardonnay Cuvée Métis Blanc
3 x 2014 Pearl Morissette Cabernet Franc Cuvée Madeline

futronic posted:
merengue posted:

4x 2010 Roda I Reserva Rioja

Delicious wine. I tasted it at the winery in November and drank it at Smyth in Chicago last night, and it was great. I need to try to source more here, as I only grabbed a couple at the winery.

There are still a few bottles of the 2009 floating around the LCBO system.

pd2k posted:

Probably my Rivers Marie allocation...still deciding since I'm kinda funny stocked.

It has been a few years since I bought some of the Cab allocation, but thought I might do so this time around.  I had a bit of sticker shock looking at the prices, so I think I'll probably pass. 

2016 Tardieu-Laurent, Tavel, Vieilles Vignes

2016 Hamilton-Russell, Chardonnay

2015 Trimbach, Pinot Gris, Reserve

2015 Elgin Vintners, Pinot Noir

2014 Leeuwin Estate, Shiraz, Art Series

NV  Gonet-Medeville, Champagne, Tradition

NV  Nominé-Renard, Champagne, Blanc de Blancs

Add Reply

Likes (0)