Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Caught a few minutes of Jacques Pepin cooking on a talk show a couple of weeks ago. He made an easy (well, easy for Jacques Pepin) Lyonnaise dish of Spanish chicken: sautéed thighs with red wine vinegar, garlic, and tomato sauce, served over pasta. I've had a jones for this ever since I saw it, so making it tonight.

And 2009 Casa Lapostolle Clos Apalta, a Carmenere/Cab Sauvignon blend which should be powerful enough to stand up to the sauce. Smells great. Smile
quote:
Originally posted by Seaquam:
Caught a few minutes of Jacques Pepin cooking on a talk show a couple of weeks ago. He made an easy (well, easy for Jacques Pepin) Lyonnaise dish of Spanish chicken: sautéed thighs with red wine vinegar, garlic, and tomato sauce, served over pasta. I've had a jones for this ever since I saw it, so making it tonight.

And 2009 Casa Lapostolle Clos Apalta, a Carmenere/Cab Sauvignon blend which should be powerful enough to stand up to the sauce. Smells great. Smile

Sounds yummy! Let me know your thoughts on the Apalta, along with Don Melchor the only chileans i buy. Still have a couple of vintages (07,02) but not the 09.
quote:
Originally posted by sarbuze:
quote:
Originally posted by Javachip:

Tonight: red wine braised lamb, tossed with sauteed crimini mushrooms and truffle butter in pappardelle pasta. Paired with 1995 Gaja Costa Russi barbaresco.

Wow, sounds awesome. How'd the Gaja show? How long did you open/decant before serving?

MM, I suggest you try and recreate this dish in Tahoe.
quote:
Originally posted by patespo1:

MM, I suggest you try and recreate this dish in Tahoe.

I do a red wine braised lamb, but I like to sear it on an open fire first, and let it slow smoke for an hour, then braise it. I could do this in Tahoe, and do the braise over the open fire....throwing in the mushrooms and truffle at the end Smile
quote:
Originally posted by sarbuze:
quote:
Originally posted by Javachip:

Tonight: red wine braised lamb, tossed with sauteed crimini mushrooms and truffle butter in pappardelle pasta. Paired with 1995 Gaja Costa Russi barbaresco.

Wow, sounds awesome. How'd the Gaja show? How long did you open/decant before serving?

I did not use a decanter; I popped and poured, and allowed the wine to breathe in the glass for an hour (while cooking dinner) before tasting. By the time I finished the glass with dinner, it had been open for five or six hours. The remainder of the bottle went into the refrigerator with a vacuum stopper, to be drunk over the next three nights. This is my usual practice when drinking solo.

The wine was excellent though understated, not leaping from the glass, but taking some time and coaxing. The complex bouquet showed roses, liqueurs of red cherry and raspberry, stony red soil, juniper berry, lavender, wintergreen, lapsang souchong, and leather. Not quite as charming on the palate, with bracing acidity and tannic grip, a bit astringent, with some quinine at the end. Great with food however. Stayed about the same over four hours and the next day. Apparently 1995 was not the best vintage for Piedmont. I slightly preferred the normale, tasted last winter, to this single vineyard bottle.
At Café l'Europe in Palm Beach

ESCARGOTS BOURGUIGNONNE Napoleon with Asparagus Tips, Garlic, Shallots and Pernod Butter

BACON-WRAPPED STUFFED DATES Goat Cheese, Piquillo Pepper Purée, Smoked Honey

With 2004 Dom Perignon

HOUSE-MADE CRAB & LOBSTER TORTELLONI Red & Yellow Tomato Concasse, Lemon, Capers, Butter Sauce

FRESH MAINE LOBSTER RISOTTO Asparagus, Parmigiano-Reggiano, White Truffle Oil

With 2007 Morey St Denis (Gerard Raphet)

Best meal we've had since No 9 Park in Boston a year and a half ago
quote:
Originally posted by Napacat:
quote:
Originally posted by Jcocktosten:
Beef curry over cauliflower rice

What is cauliflower rice? Cauliflower that is cooked but still firm and broken into pieces?

you blend cauliflower in tihe food processor until you get small couscous like pieces.

then you can stir fry it to right texture.

or lazy way, add a little water, oil and cover it for a few minutes.
quote:
Originally posted by g-man:
quote:
Originally posted by Napacat:
quote:
Originally posted by Jcocktosten:
Beef curry over cauliflower rice

What is cauliflower rice? Cauliflower that is cooked but still firm and broken into pieces?

you blend cauliflower in tihe food processor until you get small couscous like pieces.

then you can stir fry it to right texture.

or lazy way, add a little water, oil and cover it for a few minutes.

Or buy it already riced

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.