quote:
Originally posted by Seaquam:
Last night we had a really nice Champagne from a producer new to me, Leherte Freres Blanc de Blancs Brut Nature, disgorged May 2014. The wine is pale, with an intense mineral and dough nose, and rich apple, apricot, and mineral notes on the palate, extremely fine bead, and a dry, refreshing finish. About perfect with any food that's rich and fatty, or has a rich creamy sauce, a very good food wine.


Was this off the Liverpool House wine list (chalk board)?
Parcival, g-man, mrs. g-man, Parcival's friend, and I had dinner at Batard last night, and we were able to bring some bottles if we ordered one from their list.

2004 Pierre Moncuit Grand Cru Blanc de Blancs Brut (wasn't sure if it was 2004 or NV)
1986 Conseillante
2000 Vega Sicilia Unico
1999 Rudd Jericho Canyon Vineyard

All were excellent in their own way, and I'm not just being diplomatic .

Impressions:
- The Moncuit had the classic toasted brioche

- The Right Banker was a pop and pour. The color still had a dark core with just a slight fading at the edges. It would be difficult to guess it was almost 30 years old. Pretty floral aromas, silky. Delicious.

- The Unico was decanted when we got to the restaurant and probably sat for about an hour before we had our first whiff. Fantastic nose - Parcival said cardamon which I thought was close to what I was thinking. It was some exotic spice combo mixed with red berry fruit and a hint of vanilla that made me keep smelling the glass. Tannins seemed integrated to me and mouthfeel was smooth and rich. g-man said that there was a slight bitterness (like ginseng) to the finish.

- The Rudd was also given the same decant as the Unico. Darkest and heaviest of the three but not in-your-face-kinda-way. In fact, it was well balanced. A hint of cedar closet, chewing tobacco and tar on the nose with blackberry and plums on the finish.
quote:
Originally posted by Jcocktosten:
quote:
Originally posted by futronic:
Love that wine, TLV. The 2009 was great too.


Yes it was. Unfortunately we had a couple bad bottles of the 09


I still have a couple of the Mas D'En Compte left. With time I have found the oak is becoming more pronounced than the fruit. I definitely liked it better young.
The nose of the unico was stunning. Ground cardamon, sarsaparilla, fresh cinnamon mixed with red cherry liqour. You could just sniff this. After leaving it int he glass for the entire meal, it started giving off a slight baked xmas spice smell mixed with some wet tobacco.

The mouthfeel was fantastic too. Good acidity, silky smooth well integrated tannins, crushed red berries finishing with a lingering grated ginger.

The Rudd smelled like a napa. Sweet cocoa powder on the nose. elegant and refined on the palate showing hints of tobacco to tell you it's got a little age on it.

i personally just loved the conseillante. lovely leather, wet tobacco, cedar and crushed berries all in one.
2007 Tablas Creek, Esprit de Beaucastel, Red

My last bottle was delicious with some grilled sausages and steak. There was a brown tinge to the colour, which says to me it should be drunk sooner than later.
quote:
Originally posted by steve8:
quote:
Originally posted by Seaquam:
Last night we had a really nice Champagne from a producer new to me, Laherte Freres Blanc de Blancs Brut Nature, disgorged May 2014. The wine is pale, with an intense mineral and dough nose, and rich apple, apricot, and mineral notes on the palate, extremely fine bead, and a dry, refreshing finish. About perfect with any food that's rich and fatty, or has a rich creamy sauce, a very good food wine.



Was this off the Liverpool House wine list (chalk board)?



Yes. As far as I know, all the wines are on the chalkboard; there doesn't seem to be a printed list.

Sunnylea, thanks for the correction. I wrote it down incorrectly at the restaurant.
quote:
Originally posted by Seaquam:

Yes. As far as I know, all the wines are on the chalkboard; there doesn't seem to be a printed list.


I believe that is the case and most of their wines are private imports. Now to try and find the Quebec importer for this Champagne. computer
quote:
Originally posted by steve8:
quote:
Originally posted by Jcocktosten:
quote:
Originally posted by futronic:
Love that wine, TLV. The 2009 was great too.


Yes it was. Unfortunately we had a couple bad bottles of the 09


I still have a couple of the Mas D'En Compte left. With time I have found the oak is becoming more pronounced than the fruit. I definitely liked it better young.


I agree Steve - these didn't particularly strike me as long term agers. The 2012's haven't even hit locally yet though, so the '11 was the most current release in my neck of the woods. Great value at $24 per bottle.
quote:
Originally posted by mangiare:
2008 Le Serre Nuove - Ornellaia - found this during a recent move. A wine that has disappointed in the past but was more than singing tonight. Did not think this wine could reach this height.


You just jogged my memory. I have a single bottle of this buried away that I had forgotten about. If I came across it I probably would have left it a bit longer. Do you think that makes sense or better to drink up?
quote:
Originally posted by BOMBA503:
quote:
Originally posted by Shaferguy91:
2012 Kanzler Pinot Noir Sonoma Coast


How are they drinking?


Lots of big bold fruit but it didn't make as good of a hit with me as I hoped. Might have helped to decant but I didn't have time.91
2012 Vasco Sassetti Ginepro - Bright cherries and strawberry flavors
2013 Gattavecchia Vernaccia di San Gimignano - Nice summer patio drink
quote:
Originally posted by steve8:
2007 Tablas Creek, Esprit de Beaucastel, Red

My last bottle was delicious with some grilled sausages and steak. There was a brown tinge to the colour, which says to me it should be drunk sooner than later.
I think/hope you had an off bottle. My experiance is these age pretty well.
Last night w UCLA dave at Santa Monica Seafood:
2001 Chapoutier Le Meal Blanc
2008 Fevre Cote Bouguerots Bougros Grand Cru Chablis

Both wines showed beautifully with the well prepared food.
I like to drink 103 Etiqueta Negra, it is a rich Spanish brandy made from the finest grapes and aged by the traditional Solera method in oak barrels, resulting in a crisply made blend of wines with unique flavors and aromas.
with fut a few nights ago

2001 Concha y Toro Cabernet Sauvignon Don Melchor
2011 Dominio do Bibei Ribeira Sacra Lalama

...and a third bottle I was not compos mentis enough to make note of by the time it was opened (and finished).
quote:
Originally posted by VinT:
with fut a few nights ago

2001 Concha y Toro Cabernet Sauvignon Don Melchor
2011 Dominio do Bibei Ribeira Sacra Lalama

...and a third bottle I was not compos mentis enough to make note of by the time it was opened (and finished).


2005 Domaine de la Vieille Julienne Châteauneuf-du-Pape

It wasn't nearly as good as the first two bottles. It was a bit bretty on the nose and that detracted from the overall enjoyment.

The other two bottles were delicious, though.
As Miami Atty's house last night

2010 Loring Clos Pepe
2007 Stefania Syrah Eaglepoint

Assortment of interesting value wines from a Staccole Rep fried of Miami Atty - including a Savienierres, a white Vacqueyras; wonderful rose from Cheverny; red from Jura; Bandol red
2012(?) Ch. Teyssier St. Emilion and some others.
Last night with b-man, Bytown Rick, and their lovely ladies (and a great meal thanks to Mrs b-man) we had

- 2011 Condrieu (forgot to note producer)
- 1976 Beaulieu Vineyard Georges de Latour Private Reserve
- 1982 Lynch Bages
- 2007 Clos Saint Jean Châteauneuf La Combe des Fous
- 2006 Sine Qua Non Raven Syrah
- 1964 Taylor Fladgate Single Harvest Port


IIRC one of those wines was really good. However, the rest were stunning. Great wine night, and the company was pretty good, too. Smile
Last couple of days:

2012 Domaine Comte Abbatucci Faustine Vieilles Vignes - Awesome red from Corsica. Light weight but powerful at the same time. Killer food matching possibilities with this one.

2010 Produttori del Barbaresco Barbaresco - I bought a six pack so I thought I would check in. Drinking well for its youth. I think PdB has really stepped up quality over the last handful of years and this is another example. I thought older bottles showed overly rustic and sometimes unclean for me (and I generally prefer rustic over polished).
quote:
Originally posted by Seaquam:
Last night with b-man, Bytown Rick, and their lovely ladies (and a great meal thanks to Mrs b-man) we had

- 2011 Condrieu (forgot to note producer)
- 1976 Beaulieu Vineyard Georges de Latour Private Reserve
- 1982 Lynch Bages
- 2007 Clos Saint Jean Châteauneuf La Combe des Fous
- 2006 Sine Qua Non Raven Syrah
- 1964 Taylor Fladgate Single Harvest Port


IIRC one of those wines was really good. However, the rest were stunning. Great wine night, and the company was pretty good, too. Smile


got a note on the 64' taylor? curious to see if it matches what i had or if the bottle was just an anomaly
quote:
Originally posted by Seaquam:
Last night with b-man, Bytown Rick, and their lovely ladies (and a great meal thanks to Mrs b-man) we had

- 2011 Condrieu (forgot to note producer)
- 1976 Beaulieu Vineyard Georges de Latour Private Reserve
- 1982 Lynch Bages
- 2007 Clos Saint Jean Châteauneuf La Combe des Fous
- 2006 Sine Qua Non Raven Syrah
- 1964 Taylor Fladgate Single Harvest Port


IIRC one of those wines was really good. However, the rest were stunning. Great wine night, and the company was pretty good, too. Smile


A very nice evening indeed.

Rick
Over the weekend had the 1995 Biondi Santi Reserva Greppo. What an incredible wine and a great representation of what great BdMs can be. Take all the new age BdMs you want, this is what the variety is in eternity all about!
quote:
Originally posted by g-man:
quote:
Originally posted by Seaquam:
Last night with b-man, Bytown Rick, and their lovely ladies (and a great meal thanks to Mrs b-man) we had

- 2011 Condrieu (forgot to note producer)
- 1976 Beaulieu Vineyard Georges de Latour Private Reserve
- 1982 Lynch Bages
- 2007 Clos Saint Jean Châteauneuf La Combe des Fous
- 2006 Sine Qua Non Raven Syrah
- 1964 Taylor Fladgate Single Harvest Port


IIRC one of those wines was really good. However, the rest were stunning. Great wine night, and the company was pretty good, too. Smile


got a note on the 64' taylor? curious to see if it matches what i had or if the bottle was just an anomaly


G-man, we were all too busy talking and laughing to write anything down at the time. That said, however, I'm pretty sure all of us have a very good recall of those last 5 wines, each of which was memorable.

The Taylor Fladgate was medium-brown but clear, with a fairly typical tawny nose of raisins, honey, roasted nuts, maybe a hint of charcoal smoke, all of which continues on the palate, add some toffee, coffee, very rich silky texture, long finish that ends with a sensation of dryness more than sweetness-- not like drying tannins, but more like a table wine than a dessert wine, which added yet more complexity to it. This is a pretty special wine.

Sounds as though your experience might have been different from ours, g-man?
Over this week various opened half drunk bottles left over from 4th of July BBQ...forget the vintages:

Turkey Flat Rosé
Pine Ridge Chenin Blanc-Viognier
Kung Fu Girl Reisling
Ridge Three Valley Zin
Mondavi Napa Cab
During family vacation in banff and jasper last week:

1990 krug
2004 tattinger comtes bdb
2006 Cedric Bouchard Le haut lemble
1987 vega sicilia unico
2001 ridge monte bello
1994 dominus
2000 leoville poyferre
quote:
Originally posted by Gkapoor:
During family vacation in banff and jasper last week:

1990 krug
2004 tattinger comtes bdb
2006 Cedric Bouchard Le haut lemble
1987 vega sicilia unico
2001 ridge monte bello
1994 dominus
2000 leoville poyferre

I like your travel style! Very well done.
quote:
Originally posted by Seaquam:
quote:
Originally posted by g-man:
quote:
Originally posted by Seaquam:
Last night with b-man, Bytown Rick, and their lovely ladies (and a great meal thanks to Mrs b-man) we had

- 2011 Condrieu (forgot to note producer)
- 1976 Beaulieu Vineyard Georges de Latour Private Reserve
- 1982 Lynch Bages
- 2007 Clos Saint Jean Châteauneuf La Combe des Fous
- 2006 Sine Qua Non Raven Syrah
- 1964 Taylor Fladgate Single Harvest Port


IIRC one of those wines was really good. However, the rest were stunning. Great wine night, and the company was pretty good, too. Smile


got a note on the 64' taylor? curious to see if it matches what i had or if the bottle was just an anomaly


G-man, we were all too busy talking and laughing to write anything down at the time. That said, however, I'm pretty sure all of us have a very good recall of those last 5 wines, each of which was memorable.

The Taylor Fladgate was medium-brown but clear, with a fairly typical tawny nose of raisins, honey, roasted nuts, maybe a hint of charcoal smoke, all of which continues on the palate, add some toffee, coffee, very rich silky texture, long finish that ends with a sensation of dryness more than sweetness-- not like drying tannins, but more like a table wine than a dessert wine, which added yet more complexity to it. This is a pretty special wine.

Sounds as though your experience might have been different from ours, g-man?


i just realized you guys had the Tawny that was recently released.

I was thinking the single quinta vargellas which has notes of spear mint the two times i had it (but from same batch).

good to know their 50 yr old tawnies are fantastic!
quote:
Originally posted by steve8:
2014 Domaine de la Mordoree, Tavel, La Dame Rousse


Good stuff. We got to visit there in May and the owner gave us a tour and full line-up tasting.
Last night with VinT, shavez, vinoevelo, a surprise visit from vinchanted, and a few other late night guests.

2000 Domaine William Fevre Chablis Grand Cru Cote de Bouguerots
2010 Wittmann Westhofener Morstein Riesling Großes Gewächs
2012 Château Belá Riesling
2012 Willi Schaefer Graacher Domprobst Riesling Spatlese
1989 Schmitt Sohne Berich Bingen Riesling Auslese
1989 Couly-Dutheil Chinon La Baronnie Madeleine
1996 Turley Zinfandel Old Vines
1997 Dominus Estate
1987 Beaulieu Vineyards Georges de Latour Private Reserve
xxxx d'Arenberg Shiraz The Dead Arm

Not a single disappointment in the bunch. I don't recall the vintage of the Dead Arm. Shavez poured it blind near the end of the night and no one pegged it as Shiraz.
The Dead Arm was 2002. I can safely say it destroyed any lingering preconceived notions I held about what aussie shiraz 'is supposed to taste like'. The rest of the line-up was outstanding as well. Added bonus: a riesling masterclass from shavez!

Add Reply

×
×
×
×
Link copied to your clipboard.
×