Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

quote:
Originally posted by mangiare:
1974 Stag's Leap Vineyard - still going strong 2+ hours after opening. Thanks VinT sunshades
2001 Tua Rita Giusto di Notri - deep and dark. After the chicken stew blew off; concentrated, dark fruits, balanced but present oak. Nice but not on my future buy list.

Happy Canada Day to all the Canucks out there.
Love the 1974 California Cabs I've had. Great vintage and have only had a couple 74's out of many that have disappointed me.
2004 Black Mountain Vineyard Cabernet Sauvignon "Fat Cat." I haven't bought wine from this producer in several years but I used to buy a few bottles of each vintage and stash them away. This bottle showed faded dark fruit, forest floor, with hints of spice and aromatic wood. A mellow, balanced, easy drinking wine. For $5 at Trader Joe's I am very pleased. I've certainly had much worse at twenty times the price.
NV Bollinger Special Cuvée
1995 CVNE Imperial Notre de Espana

The finest restaurants here in San Miguel have nice wine selections from Mexico, Chile and Spain. The only French wines seem to be Champagne and a couple of white Burdundies. The rare red wine from France are from Bordeaux, trophy wines and all silly expensive. ( $2000-$4000+)
2000 WesMar Pinot Noir Russian River Valley - this was a treat for me as I have been buying since the '01 vintage, but had never had the chance to try the inaugural vintage from my favorite producer. This bottle was like riding a roller coaster, but was still beautiful with grilled chicken.
2012 Michel Gassier Costières-de-Nîmes Nostre Païs Blanc - corked.
At the wineries today:

2005 Clos des Papes Blanc-a lot of honey and spice
2014 Clos des Papes Blanc-bright,fresh,flowers and apricot-yummy!
1999 Clos des Papes-fully mature, would be good with food
2009 Clos des Papes-powerful but round and velvety-delicious!
2012 Clos des Papes-powerhouse and nice spice box-needs a decade rest
2013 Clos des Papes-decent but least favorite of the bunch
2014 Pink Pegau
2014 Domaine de Pegau CDP Blanc-not as fresh and vibrant as Clos but good
2012 Domaine de Pegau CDP Cuvée Reserve-very nice power,structure and spice
2011 Domaine de Pegau CDP Cuvée Lawrence-brooding deeper fruit with less spice
quote:
Originally posted by steve8:
quote:
2001 Tua Rita Giusto di Notri - deep and dark. After the chicken stew blew off; concentrated, dark fruits, balanced but present oak. Nice but not on my future buy list.

Chicken stew?? Now there's a new descriptor. Red Face Not exactly what I look for in a wine. Big Grin

actually meant to write chicken stock. regardless, not something I look for in wine.
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by steve8:
quote:

Chicken stew?? Now there's a new descriptor. Red Face Not exactly what I look for in a wine. Big Grin

actually meant to write chicken stock. regardless, not something I look for in wine.

Yeah, gotta say I'm with you on that one Mangiare. Good thing the chicken stock blew off! catvom
quote:
Originally posted by VinCentric:
quote:
Originally posted by VinT:
1996 Aldo e Riccardo Seghesio Barolo Vigneto la Villa

How did this show? I've had some other vintages of the Seghesio la Villa, but not the 96.

Upon opening this was flat out undrinkable - imagine quaffing a nice big glass of balsamic vinegar. At the 60 minute mark, the fruit started to peek through and at the 2 hour mark it really shone. Brownish red in color, the soy & balsamic notes were still there, but now background for cherry, earth, tar and a healthy dose of menthol. Better when paired with grilled salmon and asparagus, the latter tossed in EVOO and balsamic (to catch the notes in the wine). I refrigerated about 5 oz in an airtight container to revisit tonight.

Vinoevelo, sorry to hear your bottle was cooked. Did you give a good long airing to make sure it didn't blow off?
quote:

Vinoevelo, sorry to hear your bottle was cooked. Did you give a good long airing to make sure it didn't blow off?

It was decanted for an hour before and drank over the next hour - it had gone full port & raisins, a bit sherried etc. it wasn't undrinkable (at least to those who i opened it with) but it wasn't right by me.
So much Brunello 2010 talk made me look to the little brother;

2010 Querce Bettina Rosso Di Montalcino
Ever changing / evolving, this was popped and let it breathe for 30 mins. Initial nose was dusty, mold and mildewy but the palate was not as much, showing plum and red fruits with nice balance and acidity. This was best at 90 mins after opening, color changed to a bright ruby red (from kind of brick upon popping) and the wine had roasted coffee notes with red fruits. At 2hrs it developed some tannins which was interesting.

I think this bottle was a bit off/corked given the nose; unfortunately it is my only bottle but i would love to try a "clean" one.
quote:
Originally posted by Vino Bevo:
quote:
Originally posted by vinoevelo:
2000 ch. d'angludet

Impressions? I have a couple bottles I'm wondering about...

Approachable now with a long decant (4hrs or so). Certainly wouldn't hurt to hold them longer though. Nice wine, scratches that old school Bordeaux itch. I've always liked the house, and they did well in this vintage.
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by VinCentric:
quote:
1996 Aldo e Riccardo Seghesio Barolo Vigneto la Villa

How did this show? I've had some other vintages of the Seghesio la Villa, but not the 96.

Upon opening this was flat out undrinkable - imagine quaffing a nice big glass of balsamic vinegar. At the 60 minute mark, the fruit started to peek through and at the 2 hour mark it really shone. Brownish red in color, the soy & balsamic notes were still there, but now background for cherry, earth, tar and a healthy dose of menthol. Better when paired with grilled salmon and asparagus, the latter tossed in EVOO and balsamic (to catch the notes in the wine). I refrigerated about 5 oz in an airtight container to revisit tonight.

Thanks VinT; Vinoevelo. I'm wondering if there might be some bottle variation with this producer. I opened 4 bottles of the 1990 Seghesio la Villa during 2013/14 - 2 outstanding, 2 very advanced and not nowhere near as enjoyable. The second 2 bottles were from a different source, so storage may have been an issue there. It will be interesting to hear how the rest of those 96s pan out. I have 1 bottle of the 1990 left and am thinking I might have a backup on hand when that one is opened.
Recent bottles:

N.V. Arthur Marc Champagne Grande Cuvée
2014 Cave de Pomérols Coteaux du Languedoc Picpoul-de-Pinet Hugues Beaulieu - nice value; our new summer white for shellfish
2013 Michel Gassier Costières-de-Nîmes Nostre Païs Blanc - excellent
2009 Château Carbonnieux Blanc
2009 Trimbach Gewurztraminer
2011 Mud House Wines Pinot Noir
2004 Turley Zinfandel Rattlesnake Ridge - past whatever prime it may have had
2005 Ridge Zinfandel Oltranti - drinking well
2008 Sarver Pinot Noir Elhanan Vineyard - excellent
1995 E. Guigal Hermitage
2011 Northstar Cabernet Sauvignon
1985 E. Guigal Hermitage
2001 Mas de Boislauzon Châteauneuf-du-Pape - at peak
2005 Robert Sinskey Vineyards Cabernet Franc Vandal Vineyard
2000 Ridge Petite Sirah York Creek
2006 Valtostao Ribera del Duero Legón Premium
2005 Altamura Negroamaro
1997 Homewood Zinfandel Estate Grown
1972 Mayacamas Vineyards Cabernet Sauvignon Napa Mountain - absolutely killer
2008 Stratus Riesling Icewine
N.V. Yalumba Muscat Museum Reserve South Eastern
quote:
Originally posted by Wineplease:
1990 Mondavi Reserve
Showed very well this evening.

Glad to see that it is still going strong as it is a sentimental favorite- Domino and I enjoyed a half bottle of this at dinner the evening I proposed (and a few times since then). I still have a couple of 750s and a magnum tucked away.
quote:
Originally posted by AllRed:
quote:
Originally posted by Wineplease:
1990 Mondavi Reserve
Showed very well this evening.

Glad to see that it is still going strong as it is a sentimental favorite- Domino and I enjoyed a half bottle of this at dinner the evening I proposed (and a few times since then). I still have a couple of 750s and a magnum tucked away.
The magnum should be great! Opened a 3 liter 2 weeks ago and it was very, very fresh. It was showing its best on day 3. No way I could have picked it as a Napa cab in a Bordeaux tasting. Really a great wine. I will try to source more of this.
Absolut Apeach, I love to have this elegant and delightful taste of sweet peaches with the Absolut Apeach, a peach flavored vodka from the Absolut range that was introduced in the year 2005.Made from a blend of Absolute vodka and natural peach essences, it has a sparkling clear appearance and the nose is marked by juicy and intense peach aromas.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.