quote:
Originally posted by Priyavrat:
Vino Me,
Opened the Mousse 2008 SC this weekend and I am in the beginning of learning and enjoying champagne. This was by far the best champagne I have ever had as yet. I will save my remaining 3 bottles for later and see how they evolve.

It is a beautiful wine and epitomizes what a young, talented and energetic winemaker like Cedric Mousse can do with Pinot Meunier. Probably the best 100% Pinot Meunier Champagne I have ever had.

VM
Was recently at a wine shop and it was the opinion of the shopkeep that Special Club bottlings are not always the best of the line-up which is contrary to what Vino Me said earlier.

Any thoughts?

Wine in question would be J. Lassalle Special Club vs Cuvee Angeline.
quote:
Originally posted by Danyull:
Was recently at a wine shop and it was the opinion of the shopkeep that Special Club bottlings are not always the best of the line-up which is contrary to what Vino Me said earlier.

Any thoughts?

cuvee angeline + pizza == <3

the special club is a bit more tart imho

i would back the truck up for the angeline
quote:
Originally posted by g-man:
quote:

Any thoughts?

cuvee angeline + pizza == <3

the special club is a bit more tart imho

i would back the truck up for the angeline

Tart like it's just leaner? Or tart like there's more aggregate acid or lower pH?

Any thoughts on ageability between them? It's the 2008 Angeline vs 2002 Special Club.
quote:
Originally posted by Vino Me:
quote:
Vino Me,
Opened the Mousse 2008 SC this weekend and I am in the beginning of learning and enjoying champagne. This was by far the best champagne I have ever had as yet. I will save my remaining 3 bottles for later and see how they evolve.

It is a beautiful wine and epitomizes what a young, talented and energetic winemaker like Cedric Mousse can do with Pinot Meunier. Probably the best 100% Pinot Meunier Champagne I have ever had.

VM

+1
quote:

Any thoughts?

Thought I responded to this already but don't see it. Anyway, the shopkeeper is correct that the Special Club may not always be the best wine from a producer. However, the Special Clubs are always considered the top wine the producer makes. As a matter of taste, a consumer may prefer a wine like the Angeline to the Special Club. J Lassalle considers tha Special Club their top wine and it sells for a higher price than the Angeline. Another example where a Special Club might be outdone by a luxury cuvee from the same producer is Champagne Salmon. They make a cuvee called "AS" (which is very rich) in addition to the Special Club and I could easily see someone preferring it (Salmon is not imported into the US).

VM
quote:
Originally posted by Italian Wino:
Is the 2008 Mousse SC at $90 a good price?

It is a special wine but that is a lot for a SC. On the other hand, I have not seen a lower price for it in the last 2 years. I should have bought more at the winery at $39 (only bought 1).

VM
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Italian Wino:
Is the 2008 Mousse SC at $90 a good price?

It is a special wine but that is a lot for a SC. On the other hand, I have not seen a lower price for it in the last 2 years. I should have bought more at the winery at $39 (only bought 1).

VM

I don't see a whole lot of Special Clubs these days for under $75. I paid $88 for my Lassalle Special Club.
My SC purchases over the last year:

2006 Vazart-Coquart Champagne Blanc de Blancs Special Club Brut @ $63
2008 Roland Champion Champagne Special Club @ $59
2007 Roland Champion Champagne Special Club @ $52
2006 José Michel & Fils Champagne Special Club @ $50
2005 José Michel & Fils Champagne Special Club (magnum) @ $110
2008 Grongnet Champagne Special Club Brut @ $50
2005 Launois Pere et Fils Champagne Grand Cru Special Club @ $59

VM
quote:
My SC purchases over the last year:

2006 Vazart-Coquart Champagne Blanc de Blancs Special Club Brut @ $63
2008 Roland Champion Champagne Special Club @ $59
2007 Roland Champion Champagne Special Club @ $52
2006 José Michel & Fils Champagne Special Club @ $50
2005 José Michel & Fils Champagne Special Club (magnum) @ $110
2008 Grongnet Champagne Special Club Brut @ $50
2005 Launois Pere et Fils Champagne Grand Cru Special Club @ $59

VM

Well played, VM.
quote:
quote:
Vino Me,

VM

Our recent visit with Cedric Mousse disabused me of the notion that Pinot Meunier cannot make superior champagne. His Special Club is 100% Pinot Meunier and is a wonderful wine. We tasted his older Special Club wines going back to 2005 and 2006, and they were quite young and fresh. So I don't see any aging issues there.

Several days later while visiting with Anselme Selosse, we got to taste some of his base wines made with Pinot Noir, Pinot Meunier, and Chardonnay. That was interesting. The Pinot Noir was not bad; the chardonnay was difficult to appreciate because of the high degree of acidity; and the Pinot Meunier was just plain gawd-awful. But none of them gave me a clear indication of the wonderful sparkling wine they would eventually turn into. But I guess the wine experts on the jury know what Cinderella looks like before she turns up at the ball.
quote:
For anyone looking to pick up a Special Club, I haven't had it but have heard some very good things about the 2008 Pierre Gimonnet SC Millesime de Collection Blanc des Blancs.

VM

I picked up 6 bottles of the 08, and 6 bottles of the 02.

I'm opening one of the 08's soon to try as it was Terry Theise's champagne of the offer.
For those more in the know with regard to Champagne and, specifically, these Special Club bottlings, a local retailer has the following, and I'd love your advice:

2008 Gaston Chiquet Special Club Brut ($63)
2012 Pierre Gimonnet & Fils Special Club Oger Grand Cru ($110)
2006 J. Lassalle Brut Special Club Premier Cru ($105)
2004 Paul Bara Special Club Brut Grand Cru ($143)
2006 Paul Bara Special Club Rose Grand Cru ($171)

Considering price AND quality, in which order would you prioritize these? I'd like to buy a few.
2008 Gaston Chiquet Special Club Brut ($63)- I opened my first bottle last month. My TN is at this link. Buy, buy, buy and then buy some more.

2012 Pierre Gimonnet & Fils Special Club Oger Grand Cru ($110)- Haven't had the 2012. I had the 2005 about 3 times. Love the nose on Gimonnet Champagnes though. Consistently one of the prettiest aromatics in the Cote des Blancs. This 2012 bottling is a little surprising to me because Gimonnet is a Premier Cru grower located in Cuis. Putting out a Grand Cru SC is a departure from their house style and could be quite special.

2006 J. Lassalle Brut Special Club Premier Cru ($105)- I last had the Lassalle SC from the 1998 vintage and loved it both times I had it. 2006 is generally a very good vintage.

2004 Paul Bara Special Club Brut Grand Cru ($143)- Too pricey. I can find the 2005 here in Chicago for $58.

2006 Paul Bara Special Club Rose Grand Cru ($171)- One of only 2 Rose SC's made so it is unique and the price you listed shows that. Haven't had any of his Rose SC's so can't help on this one.

VM
quote:
For anyone looking to pick up a Special Club, I haven't had it but have heard some very good things about the 2008 Pierre Gimonnet SC Millesime de Collection Blanc des Blancs.

VM

We had it at the winery last September and I thought it was one of the best wines I had tasted from Gimonnet. We opened one bottle since and I again thought it was superb.
quote:
2008 Gaston Chiquet Special Club Brut ($63)- I opened my first bottle last month. My TN is at this link. Buy, buy, buy and then buy some more.

2012 Pierre Gimonnet & Fils Special Club Oger Grand Cru ($110)- Haven't had the 2012. I had the 2005 about 3 times. Love the nose on Gimonnet Champagnes though. Consistently one of the prettiest aromatics in the Cote des Blancs. This 2012 bottling is a little surprising to me because Gimonnet is a Premier Cru grower located in Cuis. Putting out a Grand Cru SC is a departure from their house style and could be quite special.

2006 J. Lassalle Brut Special Club Premier Cru ($105)- I last had the Lassalle SC from the 1998 vintage and loved it both times I had it. 2006 is generally a very good vintage.

2004 Paul Bara Special Club Brut Grand Cru ($143)- Too pricey. I can find the 2005 here in Chicago for $58.

2006 Paul Bara Special Club Rose Grand Cru ($171)- One of only 2 Rose SC's made so it is unique and the price you listed shows that. Haven't had any of his Rose SC's so can't help on this one.

VM

Awesome, thanks, VM! Bought the one (d'oh!) lone bottle that they had of the Gaston Chiquet, and will likely grab the Gimonnet. I appreciate the heads-up, and thanks to whoever rekindled this post!
quote:
Originally posted by BRR:
Awesome, thanks, VM! Bought the one (d'oh!) lone bottle that they had of the Gaston Chiquet, and will likely grab the Gimonnet. I appreciate the heads-up, and thanks to whoever rekindled this post!

Since you are in Seattle, I'd recommend going to Fat Cork. They have a couple Special Clubs in the $70-80 range. I've had the 2008 Grongnet SC and recommend that purchase. Haven't had the 2008 Hervieux Dumez.

VM
quote:
What is the difference between Gimonnet's standard Special Club and Millesime de Collection?

Seems like one is the latter is of higher tier?

Not 100% sure but I believe that the Collection SC is only made in the very best vintages (at least the ones Gimonnet likes best) and gets slightly longer aging (ie. the 2008 Collection SC was disgorged at the same time as the 2010 regular SC).

VM
quote:
quote:
What is the difference between Gimonnet's standard Special Club and Millesime de Collection?

Seems like one is the latter is of higher tier?

Not 100% sure but I believe that the Collection SC is only made in the very best vintages (at least the ones Gimonnet likes best) and gets slightly longer aging (ie. the 2008 Collection SC was disgorged at the same time as the 2010 regular SC).

VM

This is my understanding as well.

Add Reply

Likes (0)