Skip to main content

2008 E. Pira e Figli (Chiara Boschis) Barolo Cannubi

Heavy bricking to the point that it looked more like sherry than Barolo. A fair bit of balsamic and burnt sugar on the nose. But the palate was surprisingly good: fully resolved tannins, lots of black fruit, menthol, spice, carmelized sugar, smoke. Good level of acidity. There’s some classic Barolo tar and roses, but those notes are in the background. Bought at the LCBO seven years ago and stored at 57 degrees.

The recent TNs on CT are mostly in the same vein. If you’ve got this, drink it soon.

Last edited by sunnylea57
@riddler posted:

I had a bunch of that a while back, but to my knowledge, no "Gran Selezione" version back then.  That was a new "made up" BS designation in the past decade or so, no?

The Gran Selezione designation came out in 2014.  It is intended to designate wines above the Chianti Classico and Chianti Riserva designations.  It involves 3 additional requirements over Riserva:  (1) 30 months total aging (vs 24 for Riserva); (2) all the fruit must come from the producer's own estate; and minimum alcohol was raised to 13% (vs 12.5 for Riserva).  But I'm not so sure any of these are particularly significant and many high-end producers were already doing these things with their top wines.  So yes, it's basically a way of more effectively merchandising the top tier of Chianti in order to achieve stronger pricing.

@riddler posted:

I had a bunch of that a while back, but to my knowledge, no "Gran Selezione" version back then.  That was a new "made up" BS designation in the past decade or so, no?

Part of a late 2019 LCBO release of older vintages, all of which were listed as being "Gran Selezione" on their website and on the invoice.  Incorrectly.  I should have looked more closely at the label before entering the purchase information into my database.

1996 Hardy's Eileen Hardy Shiraz.  Cellartracker reviews are all over the map on this one.

• From 2008 "Fortunately, this was my last bottle. If you still have this in your cellar, it's one to give as a gift to people you don't like. Make sure you're not there when they serve it."  79 points.
  • To 2019 "A great wine from a great vintage. No rush to drink if you are lucky enough to have any."  96 points.

We enjoyed it. 

@futronic posted:

Was that the wine I grabbed for you in Montreal? I enjoyed a lesser label from them I picked up on the same trip. I'll keep an eye for other wines from this producer.

Yup. from what I've read as a producer, they are very very vintage dependent, and not really up to snuff in harder years but this was superb.  Kath had a sip and broke her dry January a day early to drink half the bottle.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.