1986 Silver Oak Cabernet Sauvignon Alexander Valley in Magnum.  Magnificent wine!  Great way to start the year.

Original Post

Finishing up a bottle of 2016 The Withers Claire’s Vineyard Mendocino County Pinot Noir.  Very good balance but won’t be mistaken for Burgundy or Oregon.  At $40, not something I would buy in large quantities.

longboarder posted:

1996 La Grande Dame

2007 LdH Gran Reserva Tondonia

2015 Antolini Recioto d’Valpolicella

How's that LGD holding up?  I always found that a very good wine.  The 1990 was stunning, they don't seem to be firing on all cylinders these days like they once were, however.

2016 Patz and Hall Hudson Vineyard Chardonnay—I’ve yet to have a bad Hudson vineyard chard, and this was no exception 

2011 Favia Cabernet—really nice for a less than stellar vintage. 

2015 Saxum James Berry—wonderful. Wine of the night for everyone.

2009 UPR Le Mesnil, Champagne, BdB, Sublime

2009 Leclerc-Briant, Champagne, Les Chevres Pierreuses

2016 Felton Road, Chardonnay, Block 6

2006 Mas Igneus, Priorat, FA206

2008 Mas Igneus, Priorat, FA206

2010 Mas Igneus, Priorat, FA206

2010 Mas Igneus, Priorat, FA112

2004 Siro Pacenti, BdM

2011 Castello di Ama, Chianti Classico, San Lorenzo, Gran Selezione

2015 Tolaini, IGT, Al Passo

NV Ramos-Pinto, Port, Quinta da Ervamoira 10 Year Old Tawny

2009 Bod. Pascual Buro' de Penalosa RdD crianza

2005 R. Usseglio CdP Cuvee Girard....this was fantastic

longboarder posted:

1996 La Grande Dame

Nice! Just a small question. Are you sure the Tondonia is the Gran Reserva or the reserva ? I believe the current release vintage of the gran reserva is the 1996

Last edited by mimik

2017 Thorne & Daughters, Semillon (gris), Tin Soldier

2010 M. Chapoutier, Saint-Joseph, Les Granilites

2005 Domaine / Maison Vincent Girardin Bonnes Mares

Tasted at an offline. Tasting note posted on CellarTracker and blogged.

mimik posted:
longboarder posted:

1996 La Grande Dame

Nice! Just a small question. Are you sure the Tondonia is the Gran Reserva or the reserva ? I believe the current release vintage of the gran reserva is the 1996

Yeah, if it's the 2007 it's definitely the Reserva.

2004 Charlier & Fils Special Club Champagne 

A fantastic champagne. Unfortunately not available in the USA but if you find this in other countries you should try it. I feel you will not be disappointed with any vintage. I rate the 2004 94-95 points

IW

Various Laherte Freres Champagnes. I’m a huge fan of this under-the-RADAR, mostly Meunier, producer. The Rosés are particularly nice.

Last edited by winetarelli
sunnylea57 posted:
mimik posted:
longboarder posted:

1996 La Grande Dame

Yeah, if it's the 2007 it's definitely the Reserva.

My mistake. You are correct it was the Reserva. 

2003 Louis Jadot Chambertin-Clos de Bèze Domaine Louis Jadot

Over a civilized lunch... 2007 Louis Jadot Gevrey-Chambertin 1er Clos St. Jacques (dont @ me VinT)

Over a less civilized pasta dinner w. kids... 2016 Col D'Orcia RdM

By civilised, I assume you mean that you didn't have to go back to work!  I did same at Tabule where we had a 2015 Grosset Polish Hill Riesling (love that whiff of petroleum you get when you open the bottle) and 2010 Laurel Glen Sonoma Mountain Cabernet Sauvignon.

Last night with the BMan's, Mimik and my better half at Lannes et Pacifique.

2008 H. Blin, Champagne, Millisime

2016 CVNE, Rioja, Monopole Blanco

2005 Domaine de la Janasse, CdP, Chaupin

2011 Peter Michael, Les Pavots

2008 Sadie Family, Columella

2005 Chateau Pavie Macquin, St. Emilion

Everything showed well. Hard to pick a WOTN, but it might have been the Pavie Macquin which surprised me after a really poor showing of this wine in August with some of the Chicago group. This bottle was excellent, which gives me hope for my last bottle. The Pavots was outstanding also. My least favourite red was the Chaupin.

First time for us at this BYOW resto. Food was very good. The place would be noisy on a busy night which it wasn't luckily for us. Will go back.

steve8 posted:

Everything showed well. Hard to pick a WOTN, but it might have been the Pavie Macquin which surprised me after a really poor showing of this wine in August with some of the Chicago group. This bottle was excellent, which gives me hope for my last bottle. The Pavots was outstanding also. My least favourite red was the Chaupin.

First time for us at this BYOW resto. Food was very good. The place would be noisy on a busy night which it wasn't luckily for us. Will go back.

Thanks for posting the wines, Steve.  My favourites were the Les Pavots and the Chaupin, least favourite the Columella.  mrs bman liked the Les Pavots best too, the Chaupin not so much.  To each their own!

2012 Ridge Estate Cab - young, but very nice already.  Still the best value for Cali Cab out there IMO

2005 Louis Jadot Gevrey-Chambertin 1er Cru Clos St. Jacques

bman posted:
steve8 posted:

Thanks for posting the wines, Steve.  My favourites were the Les Pavots and the Chaupin, least favourite the Columella.  mrs bman liked the Les Pavots best too, the Chaupin not so much.  To each their own!

Great night with great wines. It was great to see Bman and Mrs Bman and Steve8 and J. Loved the  food and like the resto if not a little loud. 

All wines showed well but the Chaupin cdp Janasse and the Pavie Macquin were my favourites. The pavots showed structure but I felt a bit disjointed since it was too young but I’m very honoured and grateful bman brought the bottle.

see you next time very soon 

Australian shiraz is out of style, so I've been ignoring it in my cellar for the last few years.  Last night I opened my last bottle of 2001 Craneford Barossa Shiraz.  Despite Cellartracker's advice that the drinking window had expired in 2007, it was really quite good.  Deep ruby colour with no bricking.  Deep dark fruit flavours with a bit of leather and no perceived tannin but still well-structured.

So tonight I opened up a 1998 Clarendon Hills Piggott Range Shiraz.  Again, there is no visible sign of aging other than substantial sediment.  But the wine has a lovely spiciness with a Rhone-style flavour profile.  According to CT, it's drinking window expired in 2016.

wineismylife posted:

So seems you are professional offline-attendee now?  

otw posted:

Australian shiraz is out of style, so I've been ignoring it in my cellar for the last few years.  Last night I opened my last bottle of 2001 Craneford Barossa Shiraz.  Despite Cellartracker's advice that the drinking window had expired in 2007, it was really quite good.  Deep ruby colour with no bricking.  Deep dark fruit flavours with a bit of leather and no perceived tannin but still well-structured.

So tonight I opened up a 1998 Clarendon Hills Piggott Range Shiraz.  Again, there is no visible sign of aging other than substantial sediment.  But the wine has a lovely spiciness with a Rhone-style flavour profile.  According to CT, it's drinking window expired in 2016.

Agree 100%.  Those big fruit-forward shirazs that so many diss soften and become quite nice in their old age!  

bman posted:
otw posted:

Agree 100%.  Those big fruit-forward shirazs that so many diss soften and become quite nice in their old age!  

Agree Bman re: nice in their old age.  

2016 Orin Swift pinot noir Slander

2016 Orin Swift Palermo

Muscular wines for NFL playoff games

We had Washington bordeaux varietal night last night with a smoked brisket

2015 Waters Interlude

2013 Fall Line Red Willow

2013 Den Hoed Andreas Wallula Cab

bman posted:
wineismylife posted:

So seems you are professional offline-attendee now?  

Pretty close although I do still hold a day job.  About 6 more years before I go full time offliner.

NV Pierre Gerbais, Champagne, Grains de Celles

2013 Domaine Huet, Vouvray, Le Haut-Lieu, Sec

2017 Isola Augusta, Friuli, Chardonnay

2004 Casanova di Neri, BdM, Tenuta Nuova

2014 Frescobaldi, BdM

2015 Bodegas Salentein Cabernet Sauvignon Reserva

Served Saturday night with a nice, big, juicy, medium rare, bone-in Ribeye. Tasting note posted in CellarTracker and blogged.

steve8 posted:

2014 Frescobaldi, BdM

How was the ‘04 TN?

2005 Louis Jadot Latricières-Chambertin

Tasted at an offline. Last bottle in a Louis Jadot blind tasting. Tasting note posted on CellarTracker and blogged.

wineismylife posted:

2005 Louis Jadot Latricières-Chambertin

Tasted at an offline. Last bottle in a Louis Jadot blind tasting. Tasting note posted on CellarTracker and blogged.

Are you responding to a January "What are you drinking" thread with a wine you had... in October? 

I liked the note, though.  Thanks!

Last edited by winetarelli

2002 Cloudy Bay Sauvignon Blanc

Light, ephemeral, a charming blend of fruit flavours, minerality and a touch of herbaceousness.  This is what brought me to love NZ Sauv Blanc.  Cellartracker says the drinking window expired in 2005.

longboarder posted:
steve8 posted:

2014 Frescobaldi, BdM

How was the ‘04 TN?

LB, it's an outstanding bottle of wine. If anything the chocolate/mocha note in this wine is even more pronounced now than when it was young. I remain very skeptical about the composition of this wine.

steve8 posted:
longboarder posted:
steve8 posted:

2014 Frescobaldi, BdM

How was the ‘04 TN?

LB, it's an outstanding bottle of wine. If anything the chocolate/mocha note in this wine is even more pronounced now than when it was young. I remain very skeptical about the composition of this wine.

Funny you say that.  We opened a bottle of the ‘05 last night.  Great wine but darker, denser, and more prominent oak than any 15 year old sangiovese I can remember. 

2015 Hanzell Sebella Chardonnay--good, not great.  Not bad for the price, but can probably do better.

2007 Vieux Telegraphe la Crau CDP-- took a bit for the stank to blow off, but ended up in a pretty nice place.  

Last edited by azwiese

Tonight - MIami Atty and wife are coming over.  I am sure he will bring something - I plan on opening :

2010 Chateau Faizeau - Montagne-Saint-Émilion

2011 Chateau Yon Figeac - St. Emilion

With grilled rib-eyes - FKG and Miami Atty scored these bottles at the end of  a Right Bank (or perhaps a general Bordeaux tasting - not sure I was not there) tasting many years ago.

jcocktosten posted:

Tonight - MIami Atty and wife are coming over.  

Please tell them we say hi! 

steve8 posted:
longboarder posted:
steve8 posted:

2014 Frescobaldi, BdM

How was the ‘04 TN?

Why are you skeptical about this wine? The mocha or chocolate notes come from the toast level of the barrel not from the fruit. 

Last edited by mimik

Nicolas Maillart "Platine" Brut Champagne

Pommery NV

2010 Chateau Faizeau - Montagne-Saint-Émilion

2011 Chateau Yon Figeac - St. Emilion

2005 Montes Folly

With Miami Atty

2009 Château Génot-Boulanger Volnay 1er Cru Les Roncerets

This was the second bottle I took to GNO Wednesday night. Tasted it to the group double blind along side the 2008 Kanonkop Pinotage. Most guys came close on the two bottles getting mostly country of origin and a few other data points correct. One nailed country of origin, region and varietal on both bottles. Wish he'd had ventured a guess on year and producer. He might've nailed it.

Tasting note posted on CellarTracker and blogged.

mimik posted:
steve8 posted:
longboarder posted:
steve8 posted:

2014 Frescobaldi, BdM

How was the ‘04 TN?

LB, it's an outstanding bottle of wine. If anything the chocolate/mocha note in this wine is even more pronounced now than when it was young. I remain very skeptical about the composition of this wi

Why are you skeptical about this wine? The mocha or chocolate notes come from the toast level of the barrel not from the fruit. 

Not speaking for Steve8 but my answer would be that it doesn’t taste like Sangiovese imo.  Well made, good wine but tough to peg it as Brunello.  

Fun night of syrah...

2009 Bedrock Griffins Lair

2015 Bedrock Griffins Lair

2006 Bernard Gripa St Joseph Cuvée le Berceau

2015 Durand Cornas Premices

2006 Jean Luc Colomebo Cornas La Louvee

The Gripa Berceau and the 09 Bedrock were the winners tonight. But all showed well, and led to a really enjoyable evening.

2010 Chateau de Saint Cosme, Gigondas

Outstanding, but still young. I'm waiting for a few years before opening another

2010 Quinta da Romaneira, Douro, Reserva

I should have bought more of this one. My second and last bottle. Excellent and at less than $30 it's a steal.

mangiare posted:
mimik posted:

Not speaking for Steve8 but my answer would be that it doesn’t taste like Sangiovese imo.  Well made, good wine but tough to peg it as Brunello.  

In this case you can speak for me Mangiare because that's what I would answered.

2018 Lafage Rose Miraflors - nice with a charcuterie board.

2012 Groth Cabernet Sauvignon Oakville - lively acid, balanced and a pleasant slightly Bordeaux like nose.

2012 Caduceus Cellars Anubis - a wine from Maynard James Keenan of Tool. Pretty darn nice, but I’d never have guessed the blend of Cabernet Sauvignon, Cabernet Franc and Petite Sirah. It smelled and tasted like a southern Rhône.

billhike posted:

2012 Groth Cabernet Sauvignon Oakville - lively acid, balanced and a pleasant slightly Bordeaux like nose.

2012 Caduceus Cellars Anubis - a wine from Maynard James Keenan of Tool. Pretty darn nice, but I’d never have guessed the blend of Cabernet Sauvignon, Cabernet Franc and Petite Sirah. It smelled and tasted like a southern Rhône.

Is the Anubis from California? 

bman posted:
billhike posted:

Is the Anubis from California? 

New Mexico grapes actually.

What are we drinking you ask?

2014 Bevan Ritchie Vineyard RRV chardonnay

2013 Rombauer chardonnay

Matching wild garlic chicken wings and shrimp bathed in butter and garlic with bacon/cheese/garlic bread (veggies are for losers....)

Because big Americans playing playoff football calls for big flavours matched with big American whites! 

bman posted:

2013 Rombauer chardonnay

Matching wild garlic chicken wings and shrimp bathed in butter and garlic with bacon/cheese/garlic bread (veggies are for losers....)

Because big Americans playing playoff football calls for big flavours matched with big American whites! 

The Mrs. wanted some cougar juice, eh? 

billhike posted:
bman posted:

2013 Rombauer chardonnay

The Mrs. wanted some cougar juice, eh? 

Not sure what that means but all food and wine choices made by me!

over the weekend....

2008 Bernard Gaucher Brut - these keep getting better imo.  Great QPR.

2008 Fuligni BdM.   pretty good wine for a 'bad' vintage.  producers trumps vintage every time.  Wouldnt hold on to them forever, but it hit all the right fuligni notes.

2013 Garage Wine Co. Cab Franc lot #52.  Leans more to old world right bank than i would have guessed.  A little backwards on opening, but really shone on day 2.  lots of dark blue fruits, no green pepper, not over extracted or sweet.   glad I have another.

2013 Ch. Musar Hochar Pere & Fils - Reminds me so much of Ridge.  Red/black fruit, lots of brambly/herbal notes underneath, bit of a citrus note on the nose.  Mrs. VeV's fave of the bunch.

Friday with friends, 

2008 Mailly Blanc de Blanc Grand Cru

2008 Charles Heidsieck Brut Rose

2002 Pol Roger Brut

2012 Domain Pinson Freres Chablis Les Clos

2012 Louis Moreau Chablis Les Clos

1966 Confreres des Chevaliers du Tastevin Gevrey Chambertin Petit Chapelle, Bouchard Aine et Fils. WOTN

1990 Louis Latour Corton Grancey Grand Cru

2002 Lucien LeMoines Chambolle Musigny Les Charmes 1er

1996 Luciano Sandrone Cannubi Boschis

2001 Cappellano Rupestris, CORKED

2001 Aldo Conterno Barolo Granbussia Riserva, stunning

1982 Cos d'Estournel

1982 Calon Segur

1982 Lynch Bages

Cordero di Montezemolo Barolo Chinato, 750 ml. 

Everything showed well except the corked Cappellano.  

Celebrated our daughter’s wedding. Served these birth year wines for the head table:

1990 VC La Grande Dame

1990 Etienne Sauzet Batard Montrachet

1990 Lynch Bages

All were stunningly beautiful as was my daughter. 

longboarder posted:

Celebrated our daughter’s wedding. Served these birth year wines for the head table:

1990 VC La Grande Dame

1990 Lynch Bages

Congrats!

2015 Grosset Polish Hill Riesling

2010 Laurel Glen Sonoma Mountain Cabernet Sauvignon

The Polish Hill Riesling was a great complement to the middle-eastern food at Tabule restaurant.

bman posted:
longboarder posted:

1990 VC La Grande Dame

1990 Lynch Bages

Congrats!

Congrats Longboarder!

longboarder posted:

1990 VC La Grande Dame

1990 Lynch Bages

congrats, Longboarder. 

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.