Sigh. Another bot spammer in "Julietbaney", reposting someone else's old posts (in the case above, a post from purplehaze from 2011 -- do an "exact phrase" search and you'll find it) and then adding spam links to the post.

No wonder this board is going down the toilet.

sunnylea57 posted:

Sigh. Another bot spammer in "Julietbaney", reposting someone else's old posts (in the case above, a post from purplehaze from 2011 -- do an "exact phrase" search and you'll find it) and then adding spam links to the post.

No wonder this board is going down the toilet.

Good eye!

2014 Melville Terraces pinot (amazing)

2010 Mount Eden Estates cabernet

2000 Canon la Gaffeliere Bordeaux (amazing, but hold)

2003 Chateau Destieux Bordeaux (delightful)

2004 Uccelliera Reserve brunello (dud)

2015 Pahlmeyer Napa chardonnay (very, very nice)

2007 Morlet Passionnement cabernet (good)

2007 Chappellet Pritchard Hill cabernet (amazing)

2008 Hall Segassia cabernet (absolutely fabulous)

2010 Leonetti cabernet (good)

2006 Domaine Charvin Chateauneuf-du-Pape (fabulous)

2001 Mondavi Reserve cabernet (very, very nice)

2000 Cepparello - This wine was silky smooth with nicely rounded red/dark fruit flavours.  I wouldn't age it any longer but it certainly isn't over the hill.

Several recent posters on CT said that this wine was raisiny/pruney, DOA, etc.  Perhaps they should store their wines in a passive cellar like I do.

The San Diego folks are back.  Thanks to Bomba503 for hosting a great evening of wine, food, and friendship.

2013 Szepsy Szent Tamas, Tokaji Furmint

1999 Nicholas Joly, Becherelle, Savennieres

2000 Chateau Leoville Poyferre.  Group's SECOND PLACE, thanks Mr. & Mrs. ShaneT!

1987 Jordan Cabernet Sauvignon

1991 Stags Leap Wine Cellars, Cask 23, 1500 ml.  Group's THIRD PLACE, thanks Mr. & Mrs. SD-Wineaux!

1992 Flora Springs Cabernet Sauvignon, Rutherford Reserve

1994 Bodegas y Vinedos, Alion, Ribera del Duero.  Group's FIRST PLACE, thanks Mr. & Mrs. GregT and welcome back to So. Cal.!

1996 Dalla Valle Napa Valley Cabernet Sauvignon, Honorable Mention.

1990 Mastrojanni Brunello di Montalcino

1975 Stags Leap Wine Cellars Cabernet Sauvignon, Stags Leap Vineyard.  Honorable Mention.

2006 Hall Cabernet Sauvignon, Napa Valley, 3000 ml

2013 Carter Cellars, Hossfeld Coliseum

2001 Kamen Cabernet Sauvignon, Napa Valley, 1500 ml

2007 Perrin Gigondas VV

2008 Clio Jumilla

1994 Maculan Fratta Cabernet

NV Setteanime Raboso Geloso Rose

2016 Lewis Cabernet Sauvignon, Napa Valley

2008 Tensley Syrah BMT, 1500 ml

2000 Olivers Tarango Shiraz, McLaren Vale

2001 Chateau Clos Haut-Peyraguey, Sauternes

2012 Champagne Salmon, Special Club

With short ribs and smoked chicken

2016 Aonair Cabernet reserve

2012 The Napa Valley Reserve cab/meritage

2010 Spottswoode cabernet

2012 Carter Hossfeld Coliseum

2015 Garzon Single Vineyard Tannat

2014 Vincent Arroyo petite sirah port

the Garzon was a new one for me- first time trying Tannat from Uruguay- very full bodied and complex- quite tasty.

otw posted:

2000 Cepparello - This wine was silky smooth with nicely rounded red/dark fruit flavours.  I wouldn't age it any longer but it certainly isn't over the hill.

Several recent posters on CT said that this wine was raisiny/pruney, DOA, etc.  Perhaps they should store their wines in a passive cellar like I do.

Same type of comments about the 1999. I have a mag of the '99 that I should open in your presence. Let's talk.

Over the holidays:

2016 Jimenez-Landi Bajondillo

NV Tarlant brut reserve

1997 Dehlinger Cab Sauv

1994 Ch. Mouton-Rothschild

2002 Opus one

2006 Ch. Musar

NV Gosset Brut Excellence

2016 Raul Perez Ultreia Saint-Jacques (really enjoyed this)

2000 Ch. Pipeau (from mag, starting to come around)

2016 Stefan Vetter Sylvaner

1994 Ch. La Croix du Casse

2001  Rene-Noel Legrand Saumur-Champigny La Chaintree

2015 Colombera & Garella Bramaterra Cascina Cottignano

2014 Fuligni Ginestreto

Got together with my work wine group.  Theme was Italian and mostly cheapies that were OK, but nothing I'd seek out.  The two that didn't fit that bill were a 2008 Il Molino di Grace Gratius and a 2012 Tenuta di Biserno Il Pino di Biserno.  The Gratius was very interesting as the fruit had a raisin aspect to it that I've never experienced with Sangiovese.  I have one bottle left and will drink sooner rather than later.  Also was throwing off a lot of sediment, so glad I splash decanted.  The Il Pino was very nice -- easily the WOTN.  A Bordeaux blend with the Cabernet Franc taking a prominent role.  I'm not sure I see this getting better, but sure it would hold for awhile.  Unfortunately it was my only bottle.

The past week:

2003 Jaboulet La Chapelle
Ripe black fruit, charred meat, olive, chocolate ganache. Dusty tannins on the back end. The fruit is roasted and the nose has some alcohol heat, but it’s still surprisingly lithe for the vintage. 

2015 Poggio Scalette Chianti Classico
Always reliable. Great pizza/pasta wine, but also totally quaffable on its own. The 2015 is a fantastic vintage.

2013 The Hilt Chardonnay The Vanguard
Lemon curd, tropical fruit, a small dollop of toasty oak, good acidity and nice viscosity. More old world than new.

2010 Edi Kante Vitovska Selezione
Digging this wine. Fresh Chablis-like minerality and salinity, with equal parts orchard fruit.

Thursday night:

2014 Loring Wine Company Pinot Noir Garys' Vineyard

Last night with some friends in Richmond Hill:

2009 Shafer Relentless

2015 Antinori Tignanello Toscana IGT

2016 Patrick Piuze Chablis 1er Cru Butteaux

2009 Caves Duplessis Chablis Grand Cru Les Clos

2015 Schäfer-Fröhlich Bockenauer Felseneck Riesling Großes Gewäch

2015 Hubert Lamy Saint-Aubin 1er Cru Derrière Chez Edouard

2001 M. Chapoutier Hermitage La Sizeranne

1983 Paul Jaboulet Aîné Hermitage La Chapelle

max posted:

How did the 98 Guigal show? My daughter is turning 21 next month and I have been considering opening this bottle for her birth year wine.

I'll butt in here... I've gone through 10 bottle of the '98 in the last 4 years and most have been very solid... and they've been getting progressively better with time. None have blown me away, but they've been really enjoyable with all the classic Northern Rhone notes of fresh blood, bacon fat, campfire smoke. I don't think it's going to improve much more from here, so next month's birthday sounds like an ideal time to pop it.

Bit of a boozy weekend:

1971 Marchesi Barolo
1978 Ch. Gilette Sauternes
1979 Louis Jadot Chambertin Clos de Bèze (magnum)
1985 Georges Lignier et Fils Clos de la Roche
1991 Bouchard Père et Fils Vosne-Romanée Aux Reignots
1994 Armand Rousseau Pére et Fils Clos de la Roche
1995 Ch. Haut Brion
1996 Henriot Cuveé des Enchanteleurs
1996 Jacques Prieur Musigny
1996 Louis Jadot Romanée-St.-Vivant
1997 Dujac Bonnes Mares
1997 Leroy Nuits St. Georges Aux Boudots
1997 Roumier Bonnes Mares
1999 Ch. De La Tour Clos-Vougeot 
2002 Philipponnat Clos des Goisses
2005 Trimbach Clos Ste. Hune
2014 Monsieur Étain

mangiare posted:

2007 Querce Bettina BDM - last one.  Really good juice, shady cork. 

Can you say a bit more about the cork?  I recently opened an 06 Riserva which was shipped directly from QB to the US.   I noticed the cork from my bottle had wine stains about halfway up and there were vertical lines from the bottom of the cork.  I thought it was interesting.

With some friends and a few bulgogi-marinated flank steaks with peppers & scallions (stolen from Sarbuze's IG).

NV Diebolt-Vallois Prestige Brut BdB - Nice autolytic style.  Mrs. VeV really enjoyed it.

2014 Domaine Rolet Arbois Chardonnay - good jura example of chardonnay. deep gold, viscous, green apples and nuts.  

2015 Bedrock Old Vine Zin - Good example of a big but balanced zin.  Bedrock makes such great zins. Fruit is in check, lots of brambles & pepper and enought tannin & acid to hold it all together.

2010 Clos St. Jean CDP - Good example of a big hot flabby disjointed mess.  Smells like CdP at first whiff then the alcohol hits.  No acid, real 'smoooooth' tannins, jam, then this alcohol heat burn creeps in at the end like after doing a shot of warm vodka.  Bought from PC for $19.95 and actually took delivery of it... so its got that going for it.    5 more to go....

2016 Raul Perez Ultreia Saint Jacques - After those two bruisers moving to this mid-weight gem of mencia was a delight.  Probably my WOTN in retrospect.

sunnylea57 posted:
max posted:

How did the 98 Guigal show? My daughter is turning 21 next month and I have been considering opening this bottle for her birth year wine.

I'll butt in here... I've gone through 10 bottle of the '98 in the last 4 years and most have been very solid... and they've been getting progressively better with time. None have blown me away, but they've been really enjoyable with all the classic Northern Rhone notes of fresh blood, bacon fat, campfire smoke. I don't think it's going to improve much more from here, so next month's birthday sounds like an ideal time to pop it.

Thank you very much! Gonna try to make this a special occasion. Have many good bottles lined up for this.

sunnylea57 posted:
otw posted:

Same type of comments about the 1999. I have a mag of the '99 that I should open in your presence. Let's talk.

Sorry for the bit of sarcasm but I have found this syndrome several times now where CT posters declare a wine to be dead and I rush to check mine only to find that it is perfectly fine.

I also have 99 Cepparello in 750ml and I'll wager it's fine too!  As it happens, we'll know that by the end of the week.

sunnylea57 posted:
max posted:

Agree with Sunnylea57 here. None have 'blown me away' but they exemplify what I expect from a Northern Rhone Syrah in a feminine style. I'll take that all day long. 

doubled posted:
mangiare posted:

Can you say a bit more about the cork?  I recently opened an 06 Riserva which was shipped directly from QB to the US.   I noticed the cork from my bottle had wine stains about halfway up and there were vertical lines from the bottom of the cork.  I thought it was interesting.

DD, I've gone through 12 bottles and the juice has been fantastic with the last 2-3 bordering some of the best young BDM i have tasted. I enjoy the refreshing high notes of red fruit balanced with tame sangio acidity that QB achieves. 
However, every cork has been saturated 2/3 to fully up the neck hence me finishing the case. This seems to be a trend among forumites and I wasn't willing to wait and see if the corks stood the test of time.   

otw posted:
sunnylea57 posted:
otw posted:

Sorry for the bit of sarcasm but I have found this syndrome several times now where CT posters declare a wine to be dead and I rush to check mine only to find that it is perfectly fine.

I also have 99 Cepparello in 750ml and I'll wager it's fine too!  As it happens, we'll know that by the end of the week.

anyone try an '04 recently? 

mangiare posted:
otw posted:
sunnylea57 posted:
otw posted:

anyone try an '04 recently? 

Nope, but I just bought 6 of them, so if anyone HAS tried one recently, I too would appreciate an update.

With sarbuze and mrs. sarbuze:

2013 Arnaud Ente Bourgogne Aligote - fantastic!  Unlike any young white wine I've had

1999 Biondi Santi Brunello Riserva - pnp, closed at first but started to pick up weight, aromatics, and complexity after about an hour or two. Needs more time.

On Thursday night J and I had dinner at Prince with CSM whose work brought him to town.

2010 Mount Eden, Chardonnay, Estate

2000 Chateau Pontet Canet, Pauillac

2003 Chateau Leoville Barton, St. Julien

2007 Andrew Will, Sorella's, Horse Heaven Hills

2005 Chateau Rieussec, Sauternes

Terrific evening, great company and excellent wines. Both Bordeaux had stunning noses, although both were a little light imo. No rush for either. The Sorella's may be a Bordeaux blend but it wouldn't fool anyone. It just doesn't have the nose. The Mount Eden was outstanding as always. Truth be told, we had too much wine for 3 people. I'm sure the staff enjoyed our leftovers.

doubled posted:
mangiare posted:

I can't answer for Mangiare but the only bottles I've seen with suspect corks have been the 07 normale. I haven't seen any on any bottles from 2004-2006. I do have a couple of 07 Riservas, but haven't opened any yet. Hopefully they weren't stoppered with the same batch of corks as the normale.

doubled posted:

With sarbuze and mrs. sarbuze:

2013 Arnaud Ente Bourgogne Aligote - fantastic!  Unlike any young white wine I've had

1999 Biondi Santi Brunello Riserva - pnp, closed at first but started to pick up weight, aromatics, and complexity after about an hour or two. Needs more time.

Arnaud Ente is greatnesses in my experience!

steve8 posted:
doubled posted:
mangiare posted:

I can't answer for Mangiare but the only bottles I've seen with suspect corks have been the 07 normale. I haven't seen any on any bottles from 2004-2006. I do have a couple of 07 Riservas, but haven't opened any yet. Hopefully they weren't stoppered with the same batch of corks as the normale.

I've heard numerous reports of cork issues with QB.  Vincentric had multiple bottles of 2010 Rosso with corks stained all the way to the top and/or signs of leakage.  On the Wine has had many issues with '04 normales (though I don't know if it was TCA or leaky corks) and most of the bottles I've opened '04 through '10 have corks stained farther up than expected for their age.  Like mangiare said, when the wines are on, they're beautiful but I think it's safe to say they need a new cork supplier if they haven't switched yet.  I have not tried anything more recent than a 2010, so this may be a long-resolved issue. 

2004 Querce Bettina, BdM

Following the posts yesterday regarding the corks for these wines I decided to open one. To be clear this was the normale. The wine was outstanding and the cork was solid as you can see by the photo. Seepage of about 2 cm on one side of the cork.

I'm not sure what else to say on the matter. I'm pretty sure that most of the Canadians here acquired their QB's through the same source. IIRC the Quebec group got our 2004-2006 normale bottles at about the same time through the SAQ, whereas the Ontario group got theirs later. Maybe a different shipment and the bottles had a harsher trip? Of course that wouldn't explain later vintages or TCA. 

I also checked with a couple of the other Montreal cru last night and they confirmed not having seen any suspect corks on theirs. Vinaigre also reminded me that as a group we went through a couple of cases of the 2009 and 2010 Rosso's. 2004 QB Cork

Attachments

Photos (1)

Last night at Amali with g-man, winedrmike, their better halves, and other wine friends:

1999 Delamotte Collection Blanc de Blanc

NV Vilmart Cuvée Rubis

1969 Mathieu Cesaire Chateaneuf du Pape

1987 Dominus

1987 ZD Cellars Cabernet Sauvignon

1989 Lynch Bages

1989 Leoville Poyferre

1996 Diamond Creek Horizontal (Volcanic Hill, Red Rock Terrace, Gravelly Meadow, Lake)

What a terrific night to celebrate a birthday with great company.  The '69 CdP was a treat and was surprisingly alive.

All the wines were drinking really well if not beautifully well.  Delamotte, Dominus, Lynch Bages, and Lake were outstanding.  Sadly the first bottle of Lake was corked.

vint posted:
steve8 posted:
doubled posted:
mangiare posted:

I've heard numerous reports of cork issues with QB.  Vincentric had multiple bottles of 2010 Rosso with corks stained all the way to the top and/or signs of leakage.  On the Wine has had many issues with '04 normales (though I don't know if it was TCA or leaky corks) and most of the bottles I've opened '04 through '10 have corks stained farther up than expected for their age.  Like mangiare said, when the wines are on, they're beautiful but I think it's safe to say they need a new cork supplier if they haven't switched yet.  I have not tried anything more recent than a 2010, so this may be a long-resolved issue. 

I have bought 17 bottles of the 2004 normale.  All of the 04's were purchased in Montalcino during 2010/11, most from the winery and a few from Bruno Dalmazio's enoteca.  Of these, I have opened 12 so far.  They all had corks that appeared to be quite porous with irregular air pockets.  I'm generally not bothered about seepage as long as the wines taste good.   Problem was that 5 of the bottles were severely corked, while the other 7 ranged from acceptable to very good.  (I'm generally not very sensitive to corked wine, so there may have been one or two of the 7 that were marginally flawed.)  This is not a good ratio, and I do believe the problem lies in poor quality corks. 

Since then I have bought a couple of the 2006 riserva and 2010 normale from the agent in Quebec, but I haven't opened any of these yet so can't say anything about the corks in more recent vintages.

Enjoyed a great night out with old friends at an old fave...though we missed the crazy moon 

2016 Vieux Telegraph CDP Blanc

1999 Chapoutier Ermitage Blanc L’Oree

1999 CastelGiocondo Brunello di Montalcino Riserva

2005 Chateau Pavie Macquin

2005 Bruno Giacosa Le Rocche del Falleto di Serralunga di Alba

1994 Banfi Brunello 

steve8 posted:

On Thursday night J and I had dinner at Prince with CSM whose work brought him to town.

2010 Mount Eden, Chardonnay, Estate

2000 Chateau Pontet Canet, Pauillac

2003 Chateau Leoville Barton, St. Julien

2007 Andrew Will, Sorella's, Horse Heaven Hills

2005 Chateau Rieussec, Sauternes

Terrific evening, great company and excellent wines. Both Bordeaux had stunning noses, although both were a little light imo. No rush for either. The Sorella's may be a Bordeaux blend but it wouldn't fool anyone. It just doesn't have the nose. The Mount Eden was outstanding as always. Truth be told, we had too much wine for 3 people. I'm sure the staff enjoyed our leftovers.

Agreed, great night.  8:30 meeting Friday morning was too early though....

billhike posted:

2017 Ponzi Pinot Gris

2010 Boislauzon CdP 

2010 Santa Duc Gigondas 

NV Paul Georg Brut Champagne 

Both Rhones had some decant time and were excellent.

Glad to hear about the Santa Duc.  I just added a bottle to me To Drink list.  Haven't had one I don't think for several years as it was quite tannic young.

azwiese posted:

Enjoyed a great night out with old friends at an old fave...though we missed the crazy moon 

How were these Azwiese? I have a couple of the 05 Pavie Macquin's and was tempted to open one recently. I don't have the 99 De L'Orée, but do have a few more recent vintages (09-11) and am very curious to know how they age.

On a side note...no participation in the Euro football thread?

Odds and sods over the last week:

NV Laherte Frères Champagne Grand Brut Ultradition
2012 Domaine Servin Chablis 1er Cru Les Vaucoupins
2012 Pearl Morissette Estate Winery Riesling Cuvée Black Ball
2011 Domaine Vincent and Sophie Morey Santenay Les Hâtes
2010 Château Fortia Châteauneuf-du-Pape Cuvée du Baron
2007 San Filippo Brunello di Montalcino
1999 Casanova di Neri Brunello di Montalcino Tenuta Nuova

steve8 posted:
azwiese posted:

How were these Azwiese? I have a couple of the 05 Pavie Macquin's and was tempted to open one recently. I don't have the 99 De L'Orée, but do have a few more recent vintages (09-11) and am very curious to know how they age.

On a side note...no participation in the Euro football thread?

Well the other people at the table are all forumites, so they can chime in as well.  I thought the Chapoutier was good. I think it may have suffered in my eyes from being in comparison with the super young 2016 Telegraphe Blanc, which I really enjoyed. It was much more subtle, showing a bit of honey and peaches, with maybe a muted nose, but again, it may have been because I had just tasted the Telegraphe.  One of those days where the flavors of the younger wine were more to my liking, but this wine was certainly able to age.  I had to look it up, but you did have the 98 L'Oree when you came to SD many, many years ago (also provided by SD Wineaux) and it was our wine of the night!

The Pavie Macquin was probably my favorite red of the night (though they were all showing well minus the 1994 BDM).  I thought it was well balanced, with good fruit, but nothing you'd mistake for California.  Dark fruits with a velvety mouthfeel.  I usually rely on these guys for guidance on the readiness of older Bordeaux (if we are calling 14 years older), but I liked the place it was in.  If you look for those tertiary characteristics, I think you'll have a lot more waiting to do.  

As for the soccer thread, I'll get back into it.  I've begun to see why people get bored with the same teams always at the top. The year Leicester won was magical and I don't think I appreciated it enough.  Plus I'm bummed that my favorite players have all had bad things happen (Pulisic to Chelski, Ozil to the bench, Ramsey to Juve).  

sunnylea57 posted:

2010 Telmo Rodríguez Vino de la Tierra de Castilla y León Pegaso Barrancos de Pizarra

Hasn't changed much in the last 2 1/2 years. Still showing prominent candied cherry and menthol.

Bet you can't say it 3 times quickly.......

bman posted:
sunnylea57 posted:

2010 Telmo Rodríguez Vino de la Tierra de Castilla y León Pegaso Barrancos de Pizarra

Hasn't changed much in the last 2 1/2 years. Still showing prominent candied cherry and menthol.

I can't even say it once slowly.

Over the last week:

2012 Kutch Pinot Noir Sonoma Coast
2015 Once & Future Wine Zinfandel Frank's Block Teldeschi Vineyard
2015 Kutch Chardonnay Sonoma Coast
2014 Pahlmeyer Chardonnay Napa Valley
2011 Vilmart & Cie Champagne Premier Cru Grand Cellier d'Or
2006 Ridge Monte Bello

Hard to pick a favorite from above, but the Once & Future was the most memorable for me - though I'm sure Mrs. TLV would say the Monte Bello. 

thelostverse posted:
bman posted:
sunnylea57 posted:

I can't even say it once slowly.

Last night:

2006 Santa's Short Suit Shrunk Semillon

On Thursday night with Mimik. Maybe he can confirm the Macon as I'm not certain that was the wine?

2016 Pic & Chapoutier, Saint-Péray

2016 Domaine Guillot-Broux, Macon-Cruzille, Les Genièvrières

2016 Girolamo Russo, Etna Rosso, A Rina

Both whites were excellent. The Etna was very good.

Last night

2007 Poggio Al Tesoro, Bolgheri, Sondraia

Maybe past its prime, although the last glass was the best.

• 2006 Pierre Gimonnet & Fils Champagne Premier Cru Blanc de Blancs Brut Fleuron
  • N.V. Pierre Gimonnet & Fils Champagne Premier Cru Blanc de Blancs Brut Cuis
  • 2002 Henri Boillot Corton-Charlemagne
  • 2015 Krupp Brothers Estates Chardonnay Stagecoach Vineyard
  • 2016 Fedellos do Couto Conasbrancas
  • 2014 Domaine William Fèvre Chablis Grand Cru Les Preuses
  • 1989 Château de Chaintres Saumur-Champigny
  • 2007 Maison Roche de Bellene Côte de Nuits Villages Vieilles Vignes
  • 2001 Comte Armand Pommard 1er Cru Clos des Epeneaux
  • 1987 Beaulieu Vineyard Cabernet Sauvignon Georges de Latour Private Reserve
  • 1994 Beaulieu Vineyard Cabernet Sauvignon Georges de Latour Private Reserve
  • 1994 Spottswoode Cabernet Sauvignon
  • 1989 Château Prieuré-Lichine
  • 2004 Detert Family Vineyards Cabernet Sauvignon Oakville
  • 2007 Brancaia Maremma Toscana Ilatraia
  • 2011 Sine Qua Non Grenache Dark Blossom
  • 2004 Alban Vineyards Grenache Alban Estate Vineyard

My head hurts a little today. 

Continuing the birthday celebration month and sharing some bottles with the Jersey Mikes - winedrmike and greenmike, their better halves, a new member to the Jersey crew, Bill R and his lovely bride.

2007 Didier Dageneau Silex - still a brilliant wine

2016 Merry Edwards Sauvignon Blanc - a favorite but interesting contrast with the Silex

1997 Almaviva - delicious with savory notes

1998 Caymus Special Selection - fantastic cab

2006 Beaucastel CdP - ready to go but tough to follow the previous two bottles

2012 Red Cap Howell Mountain Cabernet Sauvignon - a solid wine 

2012 Acha (a Mark Herold wine using mostly Tempernillo with a splash of Petite Syrah from Napa) - great QPR

2016 Little Wings Syrah - haven't had a chance to try it; lovely nose, didn't detect any heat 

NV - Domaine Chahut et Prodiges Nid de guêpes pet nat - natural winemaking gone wrong.  boring, flawed cidery wine.  

2015 Domaine de la Pepiere VdP Cuvee Granit - My first time trinyg a red Pepiere and I liked it.  Mid weight, rustic, feral, earthy w. crunchy red fruit.  Worked well with assorted charcuterie before dinner.

thelostverse posted:
vint posted:

How was this VinT?  I opened one in February and it was DOA.  I've got one left, but not really hopeful.

tlv, this was very much alive albeit with resolved tannins and primarily soft, sweet fruit remaining.  It was a great addition to the 'old Cali' lineup that included the '94's and an illuminating couterpoint to the more earthy '89 Prieure Lichine.

There were several other Forumites present at the event, all of whom possess better palates than mine.  Perhaps they might weigh in.

vint posted:
thelostverse posted:
vint posted:

How was this VinT?  I opened one in February and it was DOA.  I've got one left, but not really hopeful.

tlv, this was very much alive albeit with resolved tannins and primarily soft, sweet fruit remaining.  It was a great addition to the 'old Cali' lineup that included the '94's and an illuminating couterpoint to the more earthy '89 Prieure Lichine.

There were several other Forumites present at the event, all of whom possess better palates than mine.  Perhaps they might weigh in.

Thanks. I’ll hope for the best. 

notables over the past few days

1997 Lisini Ugolia
1997 Il Poggione BDM
1997 Saffredi
2001 Valdicava BDM
2004 Cepparello 
2006 Telmo Rodríguez Ribera del Duero Matallana
2006 R. López de Heredia Rioja Blanco Viña Gravonia

All wines showed very well with the Saffredi and Il Poggione in their prime and the Cepparello entering its drinking window. 

2016 Jean Foillard Morgon Cote Du Py;  what a terrific wine.  Saw this tasting note on Cellar tracker (posted by user JVIZ)  and its absolutely spot on/could not agree more.  "Hazy red cherry color, showing its naked, unfiltered self. The wine has strong aromatics of red fruits: strawberry, cranberry, and red cherry. A faint hint of pepper washes through on the finish. This is a vibrant wine on delivery. A very sound bottle. Delightful"  

merengue posted:

2016 Jean Foillard Morgon Cote Du Py;  what a terrific wine.  Saw this tasting note on Cellar tracker (posted by user JVIZ)  and its absolutely spot on/could not agree more.  "Hazy red cherry color, showing its naked, unfiltered self. The wine has strong aromatics of red fruits: strawberry, cranberry, and red cherry. A faint hint of pepper washes through on the finish. This is a vibrant wine on delivery. A very sound bottle. Delightful"  

All of Foillard's 2016 released are outstanding!  I drank a 2016 "Eponym" a few weeks ago that was outrageously good! 

2013 Château Mont-Redon - quite minerally, raspberry and cherry flavours accented by southern Rhone spices.  

1992 Château Mont-Redon - It was a bit fragile with lots of sediment - I wouldn't leave this one to age much longer, but I actually thought it was a more interesting wine than the 2013.

Add Reply

Likes (0)