Continuing the birthday celebration month and sharing some bottles with the Jersey Mikes - winedrmike and greenmike, their better halves, a new member to the Jersey crew, Bill R and his lovely bride.

2007 Didier Dageneau Silex - still a brilliant wine

2016 Merry Edwards Sauvignon Blanc - a favorite but interesting contrast with the Silex

1997 Almaviva - delicious with savory notes

1998 Caymus Special Selection - fantastic cab

2006 Beaucastel CdP - ready to go but tough to follow the previous two bottles

2012 Red Cap Howell Mountain Cabernet Sauvignon - a solid wine 

2012 Acha (a Mark Herold wine using mostly Tempernillo with a splash of Petite Syrah from Napa) - great QPR

2016 Little Wings Syrah - haven't had a chance to try it; lovely nose, didn't detect any heat 

NV - Domaine Chahut et Prodiges Nid de guêpes pet nat - natural winemaking gone wrong.  boring, flawed cidery wine.  

2015 Domaine de la Pepiere VdP Cuvee Granit - My first time trinyg a red Pepiere and I liked it.  Mid weight, rustic, feral, earthy w. crunchy red fruit.  Worked well with assorted charcuterie before dinner.

thelostverse posted:
vint posted:
  • 1987 Beaulieu Vineyard Cabernet Sauvignon Georges de Latour Private Reserve

How was this VinT?  I opened one in February and it was DOA.  I've got one left, but not really hopeful.

tlv, this was very much alive albeit with resolved tannins and primarily soft, sweet fruit remaining.  It was a great addition to the 'old Cali' lineup that included the '94's and an illuminating couterpoint to the more earthy '89 Prieure Lichine.

There were several other Forumites present at the event, all of whom possess better palates than mine.  Perhaps they might weigh in.

vint posted:
thelostverse posted:
vint posted:
  • 1987 Beaulieu Vineyard Cabernet Sauvignon Georges de Latour Private Reserve

How was this VinT?  I opened one in February and it was DOA.  I've got one left, but not really hopeful.

tlv, this was very much alive albeit with resolved tannins and primarily soft, sweet fruit remaining.  It was a great addition to the 'old Cali' lineup that included the '94's and an illuminating couterpoint to the more earthy '89 Prieure Lichine.

There were several other Forumites present at the event, all of whom possess better palates than mine.  Perhaps they might weigh in.

Thanks. I’ll hope for the best. 

notables over the past few days

1997 Lisini Ugolia
1997 Il Poggione BDM
1997 Saffredi
2001 Valdicava BDM
2004 Cepparello 
2006 Telmo Rodríguez Ribera del Duero Matallana
2006 R. López de Heredia Rioja Blanco Viña Gravonia

All wines showed very well with the Saffredi and Il Poggione in their prime and the Cepparello entering its drinking window. 

Add Reply

Likes (0)