mangiare posted:
otw posted:
sunnylea57 posted:
otw posted:

2000 Cepparello - This wine was silky smooth with nicely rounded red/dark fruit flavours.  I wouldn't age it any longer but it certainly isn't over the hill.

Several recent posters on CT said that this wine was raisiny/pruney, DOA, etc.  Perhaps they should store their wines in a passive cellar like I do.

Same type of comments about the 1999. I have a mag of the '99 that I should open in your presence. Let's talk.

Sorry for the bit of sarcasm but I have found this syndrome several times now where CT posters declare a wine to be dead and I rush to check mine only to find that it is perfectly fine.

I also have 99 Cepparello in 750ml and I'll wager it's fine too!  As it happens, we'll know that by the end of the week.

anyone try an '04 recently? 

Nope, but I just bought 6 of them, so if anyone HAS tried one recently, I too would appreciate an update.

With sarbuze and mrs. sarbuze:

2013 Arnaud Ente Bourgogne Aligote - fantastic!  Unlike any young white wine I've had

1999 Biondi Santi Brunello Riserva - pnp, closed at first but started to pick up weight, aromatics, and complexity after about an hour or two. Needs more time.

On Thursday night J and I had dinner at Prince with CSM whose work brought him to town.

2010 Mount Eden, Chardonnay, Estate

2000 Chateau Pontet Canet, Pauillac

2003 Chateau Leoville Barton, St. Julien

2007 Andrew Will, Sorella's, Horse Heaven Hills

2005 Chateau Rieussec, Sauternes

Terrific evening, great company and excellent wines. Both Bordeaux had stunning noses, although both were a little light imo. No rush for either. The Sorella's may be a Bordeaux blend but it wouldn't fool anyone. It just doesn't have the nose. The Mount Eden was outstanding as always. Truth be told, we had too much wine for 3 people. I'm sure the staff enjoyed our leftovers.

doubled posted:
mangiare posted:

2007 Querce Bettina BDM - last one.  Really good juice, shady cork. 

Can you say a bit more about the cork?  I recently opened an 06 Riserva which was shipped directly from QB to the US.   I noticed the cork from my bottle had wine stains about halfway up and there were vertical lines from the bottom of the cork.  I thought it was interesting.

I can't answer for Mangiare but the only bottles I've seen with suspect corks have been the 07 normale. I haven't seen any on any bottles from 2004-2006. I do have a couple of 07 Riservas, but haven't opened any yet. Hopefully they weren't stoppered with the same batch of corks as the normale.

doubled posted:

With sarbuze and mrs. sarbuze:

2013 Arnaud Ente Bourgogne Aligote - fantastic!  Unlike any young white wine I've had

1999 Biondi Santi Brunello Riserva - pnp, closed at first but started to pick up weight, aromatics, and complexity after about an hour or two. Needs more time.

Arnaud Ente is greatnesses in my experience!

steve8 posted:
doubled posted:
mangiare posted:

Can you say a bit more about the cork?  I recently opened an 06 Riserva which was shipped directly from QB to the US.   I noticed the cork from my bottle had wine stains about halfway up and there were vertical lines from the bottom of the cork.  I thought it was interesting.

I can't answer for Mangiare but the only bottles I've seen with suspect corks have been the 07 normale. I haven't seen any on any bottles from 2004-2006. I do have a couple of 07 Riservas, but haven't opened any yet. Hopefully they weren't stoppered with the same batch of corks as the normale.

I've heard numerous reports of cork issues with QB.  Vincentric had multiple bottles of 2010 Rosso with corks stained all the way to the top and/or signs of leakage.  On the Wine has had many issues with '04 normales (though I don't know if it was TCA or leaky corks) and most of the bottles I've opened '04 through '10 have corks stained farther up than expected for their age.  Like mangiare said, when the wines are on, they're beautiful but I think it's safe to say they need a new cork supplier if they haven't switched yet.  I have not tried anything more recent than a 2010, so this may be a long-resolved issue. 

2004 Querce Bettina, BdM

Following the posts yesterday regarding the corks for these wines I decided to open one. To be clear this was the normale. The wine was outstanding and the cork was solid as you can see by the photo. Seepage of about 2 cm on one side of the cork.

I'm not sure what else to say on the matter. I'm pretty sure that most of the Canadians here acquired their QB's through the same source. IIRC the Quebec group got our 2004-2006 normale bottles at about the same time through the SAQ, whereas the Ontario group got theirs later. Maybe a different shipment and the bottles had a harsher trip? Of course that wouldn't explain later vintages or TCA. 

I also checked with a couple of the other Montreal cru last night and they confirmed not having seen any suspect corks on theirs. Vinaigre also reminded me that as a group we went through a couple of cases of the 2009 and 2010 Rosso's. 2004 QB Cork

Attachments

Photos (1)

Last night at Amali with g-man, winedrmike, their better halves, and other wine friends:

1999 Delamotte Collection Blanc de Blanc

NV Vilmart Cuvée Rubis

1969 Mathieu Cesaire Chateaneuf du Pape

1987 Dominus

1987 ZD Cellars Cabernet Sauvignon

1989 Lynch Bages

1989 Leoville Poyferre

1996 Diamond Creek Horizontal (Volcanic Hill, Red Rock Terrace, Gravelly Meadow, Lake)

What a terrific night to celebrate a birthday with great company.  The '69 CdP was a treat and was surprisingly alive.

All the wines were drinking really well if not beautifully well.  Delamotte, Dominus, Lynch Bages, and Lake were outstanding.  Sadly the first bottle of Lake was corked.

vint posted:
steve8 posted:
doubled posted:
mangiare posted:

I've heard numerous reports of cork issues with QB.  Vincentric had multiple bottles of 2010 Rosso with corks stained all the way to the top and/or signs of leakage.  On the Wine has had many issues with '04 normales (though I don't know if it was TCA or leaky corks) and most of the bottles I've opened '04 through '10 have corks stained farther up than expected for their age.  Like mangiare said, when the wines are on, they're beautiful but I think it's safe to say they need a new cork supplier if they haven't switched yet.  I have not tried anything more recent than a 2010, so this may be a long-resolved issue. 

I have bought 17 bottles of the 2004 normale.  All of the 04's were purchased in Montalcino during 2010/11, most from the winery and a few from Bruno Dalmazio's enoteca.  Of these, I have opened 12 so far.  They all had corks that appeared to be quite porous with irregular air pockets.  I'm generally not bothered about seepage as long as the wines taste good.   Problem was that 5 of the bottles were severely corked, while the other 7 ranged from acceptable to very good.  (I'm generally not very sensitive to corked wine, so there may have been one or two of the 7 that were marginally flawed.)  This is not a good ratio, and I do believe the problem lies in poor quality corks. 

Since then I have bought a couple of the 2006 riserva and 2010 normale from the agent in Quebec, but I haven't opened any of these yet so can't say anything about the corks in more recent vintages.

Enjoyed a great night out with old friends at an old fave...though we missed the crazy moon 

2016 Vieux Telegraph CDP Blanc

1999 Chapoutier Ermitage Blanc L’Oree

1999 CastelGiocondo Brunello di Montalcino Riserva

2005 Chateau Pavie Macquin

2005 Bruno Giacosa Le Rocche del Falleto di Serralunga di Alba

1994 Banfi Brunello 

steve8 posted:

On Thursday night J and I had dinner at Prince with CSM whose work brought him to town.

2010 Mount Eden, Chardonnay, Estate

2000 Chateau Pontet Canet, Pauillac

2003 Chateau Leoville Barton, St. Julien

2007 Andrew Will, Sorella's, Horse Heaven Hills

2005 Chateau Rieussec, Sauternes

Terrific evening, great company and excellent wines. Both Bordeaux had stunning noses, although both were a little light imo. No rush for either. The Sorella's may be a Bordeaux blend but it wouldn't fool anyone. It just doesn't have the nose. The Mount Eden was outstanding as always. Truth be told, we had too much wine for 3 people. I'm sure the staff enjoyed our leftovers.

Agreed, great night.  8:30 meeting Friday morning was too early though....

billhike posted:

2017 Ponzi Pinot Gris

2010 Boislauzon CdP 

2010 Santa Duc Gigondas 

NV Paul Georg Brut Champagne 

Both Rhones had some decant time and were excellent.

Glad to hear about the Santa Duc.  I just added a bottle to me To Drink list.  Haven't had one I don't think for several years as it was quite tannic young.

Add Reply

Likes (0)