max posted:

How did the 98 Guigal show? My daughter is turning 21 next month and I have been considering opening this bottle for her birth year wine.

I'll butt in here... I've gone through 10 bottle of the '98 in the last 4 years and most have been very solid... and they've been getting progressively better with time. None have blown me away, but they've been really enjoyable with all the classic Northern Rhone notes of fresh blood, bacon fat, campfire smoke. I don't think it's going to improve much more from here, so next month's birthday sounds like an ideal time to pop it.

Bit of a boozy weekend:

1971 Marchesi Barolo
1978 Ch. Gilette Sauternes
1979 Louis Jadot Chambertin Clos de Bèze (magnum)
1985 Georges Lignier et Fils Clos de la Roche
1991 Bouchard Père et Fils Vosne-Romanée Aux Reignots
1994 Armand Rousseau Pére et Fils Clos de la Roche
1995 Ch. Haut Brion
1996 Henriot Cuveé des Enchanteleurs
1996 Jacques Prieur Musigny
1996 Louis Jadot Romanée-St.-Vivant
1997 Dujac Bonnes Mares
1997 Leroy Nuits St. Georges Aux Boudots
1997 Roumier Bonnes Mares
1999 Ch. De La Tour Clos-Vougeot 
2002 Philipponnat Clos des Goisses
2005 Trimbach Clos Ste. Hune
2014 Monsieur Étain

mangiare posted:

2007 Querce Bettina BDM - last one.  Really good juice, shady cork. 

Can you say a bit more about the cork?  I recently opened an 06 Riserva which was shipped directly from QB to the US.   I noticed the cork from my bottle had wine stains about halfway up and there were vertical lines from the bottom of the cork.  I thought it was interesting.

With some friends and a few bulgogi-marinated flank steaks with peppers & scallions (stolen from Sarbuze's IG).

NV Diebolt-Vallois Prestige Brut BdB - Nice autolytic style.  Mrs. VeV really enjoyed it.

2014 Domaine Rolet Arbois Chardonnay - good jura example of chardonnay. deep gold, viscous, green apples and nuts.  

2015 Bedrock Old Vine Zin - Good example of a big but balanced zin.  Bedrock makes such great zins. Fruit is in check, lots of brambles & pepper and enought tannin & acid to hold it all together.

2010 Clos St. Jean CDP - Good example of a big hot flabby disjointed mess.  Smells like CdP at first whiff then the alcohol hits.  No acid, real 'smoooooth' tannins, jam, then this alcohol heat burn creeps in at the end like after doing a shot of warm vodka.  Bought from PC for $19.95 and actually took delivery of it... so its got that going for it.    5 more to go....

2016 Raul Perez Ultreia Saint Jacques - After those two bruisers moving to this mid-weight gem of mencia was a delight.  Probably my WOTN in retrospect.

sunnylea57 posted:
max posted:

How did the 98 Guigal show? My daughter is turning 21 next month and I have been considering opening this bottle for her birth year wine.

I'll butt in here... I've gone through 10 bottle of the '98 in the last 4 years and most have been very solid... and they've been getting progressively better with time. None have blown me away, but they've been really enjoyable with all the classic Northern Rhone notes of fresh blood, bacon fat, campfire smoke. I don't think it's going to improve much more from here, so next month's birthday sounds like an ideal time to pop it.

Thank you very much! Gonna try to make this a special occasion. Have many good bottles lined up for this.

sunnylea57 posted:
otw posted:

2000 Cepparello - This wine was silky smooth with nicely rounded red/dark fruit flavours.  I wouldn't age it any longer but it certainly isn't over the hill.

Several recent posters on CT said that this wine was raisiny/pruney, DOA, etc.  Perhaps they should store their wines in a passive cellar like I do.

Same type of comments about the 1999. I have a mag of the '99 that I should open in your presence. Let's talk.

Sorry for the bit of sarcasm but I have found this syndrome several times now where CT posters declare a wine to be dead and I rush to check mine only to find that it is perfectly fine.

I also have 99 Cepparello in 750ml and I'll wager it's fine too!  As it happens, we'll know that by the end of the week.

sunnylea57 posted:
max posted:

Agree with Sunnylea57 here. None have 'blown me away' but they exemplify what I expect from a Northern Rhone Syrah in a feminine style. I'll take that all day long. 

doubled posted:
mangiare posted:

2007 Querce Bettina BDM - last one.  Really good juice, shady cork. 

Can you say a bit more about the cork?  I recently opened an 06 Riserva which was shipped directly from QB to the US.   I noticed the cork from my bottle had wine stains about halfway up and there were vertical lines from the bottom of the cork.  I thought it was interesting.

DD, I've gone through 12 bottles and the juice has been fantastic with the last 2-3 bordering some of the best young BDM i have tasted. I enjoy the refreshing high notes of red fruit balanced with tame sangio acidity that QB achieves. 
However, every cork has been saturated 2/3 to fully up the neck hence me finishing the case. This seems to be a trend among forumites and I wasn't willing to wait and see if the corks stood the test of time.   

otw posted:
sunnylea57 posted:
otw posted:

2000 Cepparello - This wine was silky smooth with nicely rounded red/dark fruit flavours.  I wouldn't age it any longer but it certainly isn't over the hill.

Several recent posters on CT said that this wine was raisiny/pruney, DOA, etc.  Perhaps they should store their wines in a passive cellar like I do.

Same type of comments about the 1999. I have a mag of the '99 that I should open in your presence. Let's talk.

Sorry for the bit of sarcasm but I have found this syndrome several times now where CT posters declare a wine to be dead and I rush to check mine only to find that it is perfectly fine.

I also have 99 Cepparello in 750ml and I'll wager it's fine too!  As it happens, we'll know that by the end of the week.

anyone try an '04 recently? 

Add Reply

Likes (0)