January 2019 - What Are You Drinking?

Sigh. Another bot spammer in "Julietbaney", reposting someone else's old posts (in the case above, a post from purplehaze from 2011 -- do an "exact phrase" search and you'll find it) and then adding spam links to the post.

No wonder this board is going down the toilet.

sunnylea57 posted:

Sigh. Another bot spammer in "Julietbaney", reposting someone else's old posts (in the case above, a post from purplehaze from 2011 -- do an "exact phrase" search and you'll find it) and then adding spam links to the post.

No wonder this board is going down the toilet.

Good eye!

2014 Melville Terraces pinot (amazing)

2010 Mount Eden Estates cabernet

2000 Canon la Gaffeliere Bordeaux (amazing, but hold)

2003 Chateau Destieux Bordeaux (delightful)

2004 Uccelliera Reserve brunello (dud)

2015 Pahlmeyer Napa chardonnay (very, very nice)

2007 Morlet Passionnement cabernet (good)

2007 Chappellet Pritchard Hill cabernet (amazing)

2008 Hall Segassia cabernet (absolutely fabulous)

2010 Leonetti cabernet (good)

2006 Domaine Charvin Chateauneuf-du-Pape (fabulous)

2001 Mondavi Reserve cabernet (very, very nice)

2000 Cepparello - This wine was silky smooth with nicely rounded red/dark fruit flavours.  I wouldn't age it any longer but it certainly isn't over the hill.

Several recent posters on CT said that this wine was raisiny/pruney, DOA, etc.  Perhaps they should store their wines in a passive cellar like I do.

The San Diego folks are back.  Thanks to Bomba503 for hosting a great evening of wine, food, and friendship.

2013 Szepsy Szent Tamas, Tokaji Furmint

1999 Nicholas Joly, Becherelle, Savennieres

2000 Chateau Leoville Poyferre.  Group's SECOND PLACE, thanks Mr. & Mrs. ShaneT!

1987 Jordan Cabernet Sauvignon

1991 Stags Leap Wine Cellars, Cask 23, 1500 ml.  Group's THIRD PLACE, thanks Mr. & Mrs. SD-Wineaux!

1992 Flora Springs Cabernet Sauvignon, Rutherford Reserve

1994 Bodegas y Vinedos, Alion, Ribera del Duero.  Group's FIRST PLACE, thanks Mr. & Mrs. GregT and welcome back to So. Cal.!

1996 Dalla Valle Napa Valley Cabernet Sauvignon, Honorable Mention.

1990 Mastrojanni Brunello di Montalcino

1975 Stags Leap Wine Cellars Cabernet Sauvignon, Stags Leap Vineyard.  Honorable Mention.

2006 Hall Cabernet Sauvignon, Napa Valley, 3000 ml

2013 Carter Cellars, Hossfeld Coliseum

2001 Kamen Cabernet Sauvignon, Napa Valley, 1500 ml

2007 Perrin Gigondas VV

2008 Clio Jumilla

1994 Maculan Fratta Cabernet

NV Setteanime Raboso Geloso Rose

2016 Lewis Cabernet Sauvignon, Napa Valley

2008 Tensley Syrah BMT, 1500 ml

2000 Olivers Tarango Shiraz, McLaren Vale

2001 Chateau Clos Haut-Peyraguey, Sauternes

2012 Champagne Salmon, Special Club

With short ribs and smoked chicken

2016 Aonair Cabernet reserve

2012 The Napa Valley Reserve cab/meritage

2010 Spottswoode cabernet

2012 Carter Hossfeld Coliseum

2015 Garzon Single Vineyard Tannat

2014 Vincent Arroyo petite sirah port

the Garzon was a new one for me- first time trying Tannat from Uruguay- very full bodied and complex- quite tasty.

otw posted:

2000 Cepparello - This wine was silky smooth with nicely rounded red/dark fruit flavours.  I wouldn't age it any longer but it certainly isn't over the hill.

Several recent posters on CT said that this wine was raisiny/pruney, DOA, etc.  Perhaps they should store their wines in a passive cellar like I do.

Same type of comments about the 1999. I have a mag of the '99 that I should open in your presence. Let's talk.

Over the holidays:

2016 Jimenez-Landi Bajondillo

NV Tarlant brut reserve

1997 Dehlinger Cab Sauv

1994 Ch. Mouton-Rothschild

2002 Opus one

2006 Ch. Musar

NV Gosset Brut Excellence

2016 Raul Perez Ultreia Saint-Jacques (really enjoyed this)

2000 Ch. Pipeau (from mag, starting to come around)

2016 Stefan Vetter Sylvaner

1994 Ch. La Croix du Casse

2001  Rene-Noel Legrand Saumur-Champigny La Chaintree

2015 Colombera & Garella Bramaterra Cascina Cottignano

2014 Fuligni Ginestreto

Got together with my work wine group.  Theme was Italian and mostly cheapies that were OK, but nothing I'd seek out.  The two that didn't fit that bill were a 2008 Il Molino di Grace Gratius and a 2012 Tenuta di Biserno Il Pino di Biserno.  The Gratius was very interesting as the fruit had a raisin aspect to it that I've never experienced with Sangiovese.  I have one bottle left and will drink sooner rather than later.  Also was throwing off a lot of sediment, so glad I splash decanted.  The Il Pino was very nice -- easily the WOTN.  A Bordeaux blend with the Cabernet Franc taking a prominent role.  I'm not sure I see this getting better, but sure it would hold for awhile.  Unfortunately it was my only bottle.

The past week:

2003 Jaboulet La Chapelle
Ripe black fruit, charred meat, olive, chocolate ganache. Dusty tannins on the back end. The fruit is roasted and the nose has some alcohol heat, but it’s still surprisingly lithe for the vintage. 

2015 Poggio Scalette Chianti Classico
Always reliable. Great pizza/pasta wine, but also totally quaffable on its own. The 2015 is a fantastic vintage.

2013 The Hilt Chardonnay The Vanguard
Lemon curd, tropical fruit, a small dollop of toasty oak, good acidity and nice viscosity. More old world than new.

2010 Edi Kante Vitovska Selezione
Digging this wine. Fresh Chablis-like minerality and salinity, with equal parts orchard fruit.

Thursday night:

2014 Loring Wine Company Pinot Noir Garys' Vineyard

Last night with some friends in Richmond Hill:

2009 Shafer Relentless

2015 Antinori Tignanello Toscana IGT

2016 Patrick Piuze Chablis 1er Cru Butteaux

2009 Caves Duplessis Chablis Grand Cru Les Clos

2015 Schäfer-Fröhlich Bockenauer Felseneck Riesling Großes Gewäch

2015 Hubert Lamy Saint-Aubin 1er Cru Derrière Chez Edouard

2001 M. Chapoutier Hermitage La Sizeranne

1983 Paul Jaboulet Aîné Hermitage La Chapelle

Add Reply