At the Union des Grands Cru tasting for the 2010s, I got to taste various wines for which I wrote down only very brief notes upon. These are very simple impressions of the wines. If you like Bordeaux, the UGC tastings are a must.

2010 Chateau Charbonnieux white(92-good)
2010 Domaine du Chevalier white(crisp and elegant 93)
2010 Domaine du Chevalier red(87-did not like)
2010 Chateau Haut-Bailly(very closed for business-NR)
2010 Chateau Haut-Bergey(excellent Qpr-91)
2010 Larrivet Haut-Brion white(Modern, buttery but nice for the price-92)
2010 Chateau Pape Clement white(pricey but good-very well made. 93)
2010 Chateau Smith Haut Lafite white(90 not as impressed as previous vintages)
2010 Chateau Canon(rather closed-NR)
2010 Chateau Canon-La-Gaffeliere(91+ very modern style, good nose but lacked balance for my tastes)
2010 Chateau Dassault(90+ excellent Qpr-very approachable)
2010 Chateau Figeac(93+ wow very elegance in the style of the 1982 I had a couple of years ago-the wine-maker agreed.)
2010 Chateau La Gaffeliere(92+ Very nice-modern and traditional wine style-long finish and lots of fruit.)
2010 Chateau Larcis Ducasse(not unlike the 2005-very modern but elegant 92+)
2010 Chateau Pavie-Macquin-(closed for business)
2010 Chateau Troplong Mondot(closed for business)
2010 Chateau La Conseillante Pomerol(95+ wow the wine of the event-elegant, structured and surprisingly accessible-stunning!)
2010 Le Bon Pasteur(unremarkable 90)
2010 Chateau Cantemerle (feminine bordeaux-decent style but well made-88-90)
2010 Chateau Brane-Cantenac(rather fruit forward with too much oak presence-87-not my cup of tea)
2010 Chateau Cantenac-Brown(89+-nicer than the Brane-with more elegance and structure)
2010 Chateau Dauzac(ok 87)
2010 Chateau Desmirail (90+ interesting discovery-bell pepper nose, very tannic with good structure-good QPR)
2010 Chateau Dufort-Vivens(90+ a discovery for me, cooked bell pepper and sweet tobacco on the nose with replays on the palate-the most unique Margaux I've tasted in comparison with the others.Very modern style)
2010 Chateau Lascombes (93+ Surprisingly accessible-floral margaux nose, beautifully elegant palate, very promising)
2010 Chateau Malescot St-Exupery(closed)
2010 Chateau Rauzan-Segla(lot of bottle variation-the one my friend had a the beginning of the day was excellent, my bottle was lacklustre-NR)
2010 Chateau Haut-Bages Liberal(88- Soft, feminine wine-lacking substance on the palate, though.)
2010 Chateau Ferriere(90+ feminine wine but offered more on the nose and palate than did the BHL-nice wine.)
2010 Chateau Branaire-Ducru(92+Nose is very expressive, cassis and oak but the palate is closed-good elegance though.promising.)
2010 Chateau Lagrange(88+ Typical Lagrange-decent but not inspiring)
2010 Chateau Langoa Barton(closed)
2010 Chateau Leoville Barton-(93-94+ wow. Impressive Leoville Barton-rather accessible with incredible elegance and structure. This is well built and a must for Leoville Barton fans in this vintage!)
2010 Chateau Leoville Poyferré(92-93 Modern, fruit forward nose, smooth velvety tannins-maybe a bit sweet for me but seductive.)
2010 Chateau Clerc Milon(89+ more closed than its brother D'armailhac but a typical Paullac-lots of cedar and pencil shavings and cassis)
2010 Chateau d'Armailhac(90+ same as the Clerc but the palate was slightly more open-more robust wine)
2010 Chateau Grand-Puy Ducasse-(kinda closed for business but its a dark brooding wine for the long term-NR)
2010 Chateau Pichon Longueville Baron(92+ nice nice very elegant and smooth but a beautiful finish-if it weren't only that pricey....)
2010 Chateau Lynch-Bages(91+ Minty, bell peppery with good acidity-too young but not my style of bordeaux)
2010 Chateau Ormes de Pez(90+ good QPR well made and surprisingly accessible for a St-Estephe)
2010 Chateau Lafon-Rochet(rather closed)
2010 Chateau Climens Sauternes(excellent-92+)
2010 Chateau Guiraud Sauternes(93+ good acidity and very rich but not cloying-my favourite sauterne)
2010 Chateau La Tour Blanche(89+ not as rich as the 2003 or the 2007, light more vanilla and coco notes and a little too light on the palate)
quote:
Originally posted by Robo Porker:
At the Union des Grands Cru tasting for the 2010s, I got to taste various wines for which I wrote down only very brief notes upon. These are very simple impressions of the wines. If you like Bordeaux, the UGC tastings are a must.

Sounds like it was a very worthwhile event. I appreciate the notes!
quote:
Originally posted by VinCentric:
quote:
Originally posted by Board-O:
Going out for a French dinner with the 1990 Jacques Prieur Clos Vougeot in the decanter. Smells great.

How did this one turn out at dinner?

Jacques Prieur is not one of my favorite producers, but his wines usually are solid and a good value. I don't remember what I paid for it, but I'm sure I bought it at release. The wine had a magnificent nose. Lots of fruit and acidity to age for years longer. Smooth in the manner of the greatest Burgundies, but lacking the showstopping pizzazz of the best. I'd give it a 94 with the possibility of another point or two in the future. I think it's in its drinking window but might improve a bit more.
quote:
quote:
quote:
Going out for a French dinner with the 1990 Jacques Prieur Clos Vougeot in the decanter. Smells great.

How did this one turn out at dinner?

Jacques Prieur is not one of my favorite producers, but his wines usually are solid and a good value. I don't remember what I paid for it, but I'm sure I bought it at release. The wine had a magnificent nose. Lots of fruit and acidity to age for years longer. Smooth in the manner of the greatest Burgundies, but lacking the showstopping pizzazz of the best. I'd give it a 94 with the possibility of another point or two in the future. I think it's in its drinking window but might improve a bit more.

Thanks for the note Board-O. That sounds pretty tasty, and good to hear. It's challenging finding older Burgs that are still good, not having bought them back at release.
Last evening at The Winery in Irvine:

N.V. Rare Wine Company Champagne Blanc de Blancs Grand Cru Le Mesnil
2004 Calera Pinot Noir Ryan Vineyard
2010 Calera Pinot Noir 30th Anniversary
2007 Louis Latour Corton Domaine Latour
2001 Williams Selyem Zinfandel North Flats Forchini Vineyard
2002 Williams Selyem Zinfandel Forchini Vineyard
2002 Williams Selyem Port Mistral Vineyard
1997 Château d'Yquem
Last night with rack of lamb, 2004 Jean-Louis Chave Hermitage, still very dark and very young, big berry and sandalwood nose, loaded with berry and plum fruit, licorice, and mineral in the mouth, great acidity, fabulous long finish. No hurry to open these, and I'm pretty sure it will go another couple of decades or so. Does this guy ever make a less than excellent wine?

Tonight with sauce of bell pepper, onion, tomato and bison salami on penne, 2007 Leone de Castris Salice Salentino Riserva, really delicious, lovely floral nose, cherry and berry flavors, soft and velvety in the mouth, a true bargain. Also to have with chocolate cake dessert and to honor my daughter's request for Port, 1994 Dow Port 375 ml, opened just now and releasing a pretty intense nose, not as sweet as some other Ports I've had lately but big and powerful, a serious mouthful with a very tannic finish that I'm hoping will settle down just a bit over the next couple hours in a decanter.
quote:
Originally posted by DoktaP:
quote:
How did they show, bro?

The '99 Masseto was extremely disappointing. Brettanomyces +++. Overwhelming and made the wine totally unenjoyable.

Ouch! Dok, I'm feeling the pain on the other side of the continent. That's a wine that usually lives up to high expectations.
Saturday night dinner with friends at Le Smoking vallee restaurant in Montreal,

NV Veuve Cliquot Brut Champagne
2010 Kim Crawford SB
2001 Guido Al Tasso Bolgheri
2000 Arnaldo-Caprai Sagrantino di Montefalco Collepiano
2007 Chateau de Myrat Sauternes

Tonight over herbed rack of pork,

2006 Joao Simo Les Eres Priorat Vinyes Velles
2011 Moscatel de Setubal Bacalhoa
quote:
Originally posted by marcb7:
Pretty classic. Drank very well and has lots of life left. When looking for Merlot, this would be one of my top choices.

Best 55$ I have spent in a long time.

That's a great price. I paid $98 (CDN.) and thought I was getting a good price. Did you buy these recently or on release and cellar them?
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by mangiare:
1996 Conterno Fantino Sori Ginestra Barolo

and, ... how was it? I've been looking at some older Conterno Fantino and wonder if they are a good buy.

Dark colour. Great nose of dark fruit, licorice, and slight smokey hints. Great fruit on the palate and then it was totally flat. No acidity or structure to back-up the fruit. This bottle was open for 6+ hours without decanting.
Based on this bottle, not my style as I found it out of balance.
Thursday with Darcy, otw, CSM, and mangiare:

2007 Pieropan Soave Classico La Rocca
1998 Cortese Barbaresco Rabaja
2003 Bruno Rocca Barbaresco Rabaja
1990 Clos du Mont-Olivet Chateauneuf-du-Pape
2001 Usseglio Chateauneuf-du-Pape Cuvee Mon Aieul
2005 Mt Veeder Cabernet Sauvignon

Yesterday:

2010 Torre Rosazza Friulano
2010 Sottimano Barbara d'Alba Pairolero
2010 Ksana Malbec Reserva

Delicious wines all around. The Sottimano Barbera is awesome, and one of the best Barberas I've ever had.
quote:
Originally posted by nevada slim:
quote:
Originally posted by Jcocktosten:
2006 Carlisle Sonoma Syrah
2006 Kosta Browne Sonoma Coast Pinot

Too many others to name at Key West Food and Wine Festival

How were these two wines showing?

Both in a very good place right now
quote:
Originally posted by futronic:

How did this wine show? I believe I have one left. I've very much enjoyed this wine each and every time I drank it.
quote:
Originally posted by snipes:
quote:

How did this wine show? I believe I have one left. I've very much enjoyed this wine each and every time I drank it.

This was my 3rd bottle and the past 2 were far more enjoyable. This one wasn't bad, but it really paled in comparison to the 90 Mont-Olivet.

I agree with futronic's recommendation to wait 5 years on this one and will do so before I open my next bottle (I have 2 left).
A somewhat unsuccessful wine weekend at home. My dad is a new world guy so they were coming over this weekend with an 08 Esprit so I matched with 2 CA wines:

2011 Arnot-Roberts Chardonnay Santa Cruz Mountains – Meh. Ok enough, but nothing to really get me excited.

2010 Arnot-Roberts Syrah Griffin's Lair – This did not show well. It was ripe and a little out of balance which is surprising because I liked the 09. I have been having bad luck with CA Syrah over the last year or two and have pretty much stopped buying it. For the money, you just cannot beat France for the type of Syrah I enjoy.

2008 Tablas Creek Esprit de Beaucastel – My dad brought this over and as expected it was way too young. I’m a fan of the esprit, but I think it needs a good 7-10 years to show best.
quote:
Originally posted by jorgerunfrombulls:
quote:
Originally posted by Noiregonian:
quote:
Originally posted by g-man:
2008 EIEIO E cuvee

How did you like the E cuvee ?

I... how do you even pronounce this???

As in ... 'Old MacDonald Had A Farm...' Smile

Tonight;
2008 Beringer Private Reserve Chardonnay

2005 Chateau Puygueraud
quote:
Originally posted by CSM:
quote:
quote:

This was my 3rd bottle and the past 2 were far more enjoyable. This one wasn't bad, but it really paled in comparison to the 90 Mont-Olivet.

I agree with futronic's recommendation to wait 5 years on this one and will do so before I open my next bottle (I have 2 left).

CSM, was the 90 the Cuvee du Papet?
quote:
Originally posted by Robo Porker:
quote:
Originally posted by CSM:
quote:
quote:

CSM, was the 90 the Cuvee du Papet?

No, it was the regular CdP.
Over the past couple weeks:
2011 Left Foot Charley Dry Rosé
2008 Le Cadeau Pinot Noir Diversite
2008 Argyle Pinot Noir Spirithouse Reserve Series
2004 Château Lascombes
2011 Elk Cove Vineyards Pinot Noir Clay Court Vineyard
2011 Bedrock Wine Co. Syrah Kick Ranch
2007 Quilceda Creek Palengat Red Wine
2003 Château Gruaud Larose
2010 Nikolaihof Grüner Veltliner "Hefeabzug"
2010 Rudius Cabernet Sauvignon Oakville
2009 Argyle Pinot Noir Silver Series Stoller Vineyard
2009 Larkmead Vineyards Cabernet Sauvignon Solari
2009 Domaine Vrignaud Chablis 1er Cru Fourchaume "Les Vaupulans"
quote:
Originally posted by GlennK:
2010 Ceritas Chardonnay Porter-Bass Vineyard – Very, Very nice CA Chard. Reminded me of an 08 Les Combettes that I opened recently.

Just received an email from Ceritas offering a very limited amount of this wine from their library as a special release.

I've already done some damage with the Binny's sale and the Rivers-Marie and Kutch mailers, but I thought I'd let others know this may be available.
quote:
Originally posted by Wine Sparty:
quote:
Originally posted by Jonanator:
2005 Chateau Montelena Cab Sauv Estate

How was this? I think I am opening this up tonight.

Drank from a half bottle and I didn't find it that memorable or interesting. Would like to pop a 750 and see if there is any difference. This bottle just didn't show that well. I would love to hear your thoughts on how your bottle shows.
quote:
Originally posted by vinoevelo:
quote:
1985 Mondavi Reserve

How was it? Was thinking of opening one next weekend....

V - it actually got better over 3-4 hours. Very Bordeaux like nose. Not a stunner but classic nose, full body and med-long finish. Extremely enjoyable and definitely not tired.
quote:
quote:
1986 Beaucastel CDP Rouge

How did you like it? I've had a number of them and found the first few dull, but this wine has opened up nicely of late.

Board-O, it was my most interesting showing of a Beaucastel in my limited experience (89,90). Although the fruit seemed to be slightly fading and it was a touch hot (not hindering), I found that there were many layers of flavours and overall notes on the nose and palate. Kirsch, mineral, wet earth, mild barnyard, and spices. The last sip was the best one.
quote:
quote:
quote:

How did you like it? I've had a number of them and found the first few dull, but this wine has opened up nicely of late.

Board-O, it was my most interesting showing of a Beaucastel in my limited experience (89,90). Although the fruit seemed to be slightly fading and it was a touch hot (not hindering), I found that there were many layers of flavours and overall notes on the nose and palate. Kirsch, mineral, wet earth, mild barnyard, and spices. The last sip was the best one.

Thanks. I thought it was a mediocre wine until recently. I haven't found it to be fading, but that could be bottle variation. Mine have been in my cellar since release.
Tonight with crispy skin rotisserie chicken, sautéed zucchini and peppers, roast sweet potato, 2005 Delas Freres Cote-Rotie La Landonne, fabulous fruit and soy nose, rich mouthfeel with lots of plum, tar, dark chocolate, very long finish with fine tannins taking over at the end.

Needs at least an hour or two in decanter. Too young, but I've got a few and wanted to try this. A special wine with a long future.
quote:
Originally posted by nevada slim:
quote:
Over the past couple weeks:
2007 Quilceda Creek Palengat Red Wine
2010 Rudius Cabernet Sauvignon Oakville

Please comment on these two wines. Thanks

Palengat: I have drank a few QC wines early, and found this similar with strong oak (and I had it in the decanter over 4 hours). It had some dark fruit like blackberry as well as some coffee hints, but it was hard to get a feel through that oak. The taste came out a bit more on the second night and I might see this being something I enjoy a few years down the road. 91 points.

Rudius: Decanted for about 2 hours before having one glass, then drinking the rest the next night. Aroma of smoked meats and plum. Taste is quite a bit lighter than expected, but that is on the second night after having it re-opened for about 3 hours. Taste definitely still has the plum, but it is light across the palate. Also shows a hint of tobacco. Finish only has moderate tannins. 91 points.
quote:
quote:
quote:
2005 Chateau Montelena Cab Sauv Estate

How was this? I think I am opening this up tonight.

Drank from a half bottle and I didn't find it that memorable or interesting. Would like to pop a 750 and see if there is any difference. This bottle just didn't show that well. I would love to hear your thoughts on how your bottle shows.

I actually found it fantastic (as did my wife) and will probably try to source more. I will try to find the wine in the TN section and post.
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

Thanks. I thought it was a mediocre wine until recently. I haven't found it to be fading, but that could be bottle variation. Mine have been in my cellar since release.

I should clarify that I didn't think the wine was fading just that the fruit was thin. However, it may have started out like this.
quote:
I actually found it fantastic (as did my wife) and will probably try to source more. I will try to find the wine in the TN section and post.

Did you give it a long decant? I'm wondering if I just had an off bottle. My gf didn't like it either. I need to try this again... I was pretty disappointed but I'm glad to hear yours showed well. Gives me a reason to try another bottle!
quote:
quote:

Did you give it a long decant? I'm wondering if I just had an off bottle. My gf didn't like it either. I need to try this again... I was pretty disappointed but I'm glad to hear yours showed well. Gives me a reason to try another bottle!

I decanted for 3 hours, then drank over the next 4+ hours. It was doing pretty well from the first sip after that 3 hour decant, and stayed pretty consistent over that 4 hour drinking period. Hopefully your next one shows better!
Offline with xhoser and JAR

2004 Pierre Gimonnet Champagne Extra-Brut Oenophile 1er cru
2006 Château Carbonnieux Blanc
2007 Jean-Marc Brocard Chablis 1er Cru Vaulorent
xhoser can give us the Riesling details
2009 Rhys Pinot Noir (can't remember vineyard)
2005 Château Guiraud

The wines were good but the food was definitely the star.
quote:
Originally posted by eyesintime:
quote:
Originally posted by Bigfoot003:
2003 Vieux Telegraphe La Crau CdP

How was this doing? Drinking window based on your bottle?

It came out dry and tight, but opened up pretty quickly. Not what I expected from an 03, with all the top of ripe, over-the-top wines. This wine is not. More tobacco, mineral, and earth with a little fruit (plum). It paired really well with a brined pork chop (brown sugar, maple syrup, molasses, etc.) as the acidity and earthiness cut through the sweetness of the brined chop. Excellent pairing. This is a wine that will definitely show better with food than solo.

No need to hold this wine. As far as longevity? I'm no expert, but I don't see any reason to think it'll get significantly better with additional cellar time. I'll be drinking mine over the next 5 years.
quote:
Originally posted by GlennK:
quote:
Originally posted by Shaferguy91:
2007 Littorai Pinot Noir Hirsch Vineyard
how did this show?

I did not decant but it was still drinking wonderfully. I'm sorry it was my last one. SG92.

Last night:
2009 Martinelli Zinfandel Vellutini Ranch

Add Reply

Likes (0)