Over the weekend Smile
2010 Duemani CiFRA
2009 Guigal Gigondas
2007 Chappellet Mountain Cuvee
2006 Tenuta Poggioverrano Dromos
2005 Mas Du Soleilla La Clape Les Bartelles
2005 Quails Gate Estate Winery Pinot Noir Stewart Family Reserve
2005 Caymus Cabernet Sauvignon
2004 Quinault l'Enclos
2010 William Febre Chablis, basic bottling. Quite nice and I'm sure will be better in a year or so.
2008 Telegramme CdP. Decanted a couple of hours and open for business by the time we had it with pot roast. I've had better 08's but I'm pretty sure I got this on a close-out very cheap.
2009 Dunham Trutina Bdx blend - huge gorgeous black fruits and smooth tannins, but a bit oaky at this point. It may settle down in a couple of years. Wheen tasting at Dunham a few months ago, I gave it a rating a couple points less than what WS gave and last night confirmed my impression.
2002 Phillipe Prie Brut Millesime - awesome. Firm, minerals, green apples, deep gold color.
quote:
Originally posted by wine+art:
quote:
Originally posted by Wine doc:
For our wedding anniversary at Houston's Uchi.

2002 Cristal


Have you enjoyed their Austin location, and if so, does Houston measure up?


W+A,
I have not yet tried the Austin location. Our waiter, who was excellent, transferred from the Austin Uchi to help get things going. He seems to think that they are equivalent. I can not validate, though! Love the BYOB aspect!
quote:
Originally posted by Wine doc:
quote:
Originally posted by wine+art:
quote:
Originally posted by Wine doc:
For our wedding anniversary at Houston's Uchi.

2002 Cristal


Have you enjoyed their Austin location, and if so, does Houston measure up?


W+A,
I have not yet tried the Austin location. Our waiter, who was excellent, transferred from the Austin Uchi to help get things going. He seems to think that they are equivalent. I can not validate, though! Love the bring your own Champagne aspect!


The one in Austin is as good as it gets.
Last night: 1994 Graham Vintage Port. I'm trying to start a tradition of opening one or another of Graham's for my son Graham's birthday. He's only three. The first b-day I opened an '83 and didn't get it done for his 2nd. For his 3rd, I only had the '94 in the cellar. While young, I thought it was fantastic. I haven't scored or written a note yet as I am going to have more tonight.
quote:
Originally posted by wine+art:
quote:
Originally posted by Wine doc:
quote:
Originally posted by wine+art:
quote:
Originally posted by Wine doc:
For our wedding anniversary at Houston's Uchi.

2002 Cristal


Have you enjoyed their Austin location, and if so, does Houston measure up?


W+A,
I have not yet tried the Austin location. Our waiter, who was excellent, transferred from the Austin Uchi to help get things going. He seems to think that they are equivalent. I can not validate, though! Love the bring your own Champagne aspect!


The one in Austin is as good as it gets.


Will keep it in mind the next time I am there! If you have not tried it, the Houston location is terrific with a nice vibe and good wine service. An easy way to get a table (when no reservations are available online) is to just go early (5-ish). They purposefully limit the online reservations to encourage walk-in business.
quote:
Originally posted by VinCentric:
quote:
Originally posted by Shane T.:
- 1987 Dunn Howell Mountain Cab Sauv.


How was this one Shane? Have you had other older vintages? I'm interested in which are the better years for older Howell Mtn cabs.
I tried the 1982 Dunn Howell Mountain late last year and it was fantastic. The bottle came from perfect storage since release and was inserted in a 1982 Bordeaux themed lineup tasted blind. The bottles opened were Haut Brion, La Tour Haut Brion, Leoville Las Cases, and another from the right bank, but can't recall the name. It came in 3rd that night behind the Haut Brion and La Tour Haut Brion. Great wine.
At a wild game meal at Bibou in Philadelphia last night:

1970 Montrose - Excellent bottle
1975 Montrose
1989 Montrose - Another excellent bottle
1989 Ducru-Beaucaillou - Tight
1986 Gruaud-Larose - Best '86 I have tasted with tannins finally integrated
2001 Chapoutier CdP - Way too young
1997 Rouget Echezeaux - Excellent Burgundy
2005 Raveneau Valmur Grand Cru - Beautiful and would be even better with a little more acidity.
Took a bottle of 2007 Stefania Cabernet Sauvignon Chaine d' Or Vineyard to a friend’s house last night to pair with some grilled steaks. Started off a little green, but the fruit came out nicely when paired with the meat. I think this showed better when younger.
quote:
Originally posted by VinCentric:
quote:
Originally posted by Shane T.:
- 1987 Dunn Howell Mountain Cab Sauv.


How was this one Shane? Have you had other older vintages? I'm interested in which are the better years for older Howell Mtn cabs.


As expected, this bottle was incredible. I'll get some notes up soon.

I've had every vintage of Dunn's HM except for the '79 (tough to find in 750ml) & the '83. They're all fantastic in their own right, but I'm always partial to the '87. IMO, this is one of the best wines to ever come out of California.

As for "older HM Cabs" from the 80's, I really like '82 & '85 too. I've even had a lot of luck with '88, despite the not-so-good vintage.

As for vintages in the 90's, it's hard to go wrong with any of them. Even Dunn's '98 HM is great. If I had to choose an order, it would probably go:

- '94
- '97
- '92
- '95
- '96
- .......
quote:
Originally posted by gmbdds:
g-man, was hoping to hear your experiences with the '94 Graham's I opened recently.


i'll certainly have to put it on the list to try as I haven't opened any of the 94s yet.

It was a really good year in porto that I would hazard to geuss the 94 grahams would still be young, youthful, sweet, fruity and showing some tannins, but still the plummy fruit dominating most of the flavors.
quote:
Originally posted by max:
quote:
Originally posted by VinCentric:
quote:
Originally posted by Shane T.:
- 1987 Dunn Howell Mountain Cab Sauv.


How was this one Shane? Have you had other older vintages? I'm interested in which are the better years for older Howell Mtn cabs.
I tried the 1982 Dunn Howell Mountain late last year and it was fantastic. The bottle came from perfect storage since release and was inserted in a 1982 Bordeaux themed lineup tasted blind. The bottles opened were Haut Brion, La Tour Haut Brion, Leoville Las Cases, and another from the right bank, but can't recall the name. It came in 3rd that night behind the Haut Brion and La Tour Haut Brion. Great wine.


Thanks Max! Some older Cali Cabs really do seem to show well vis Bordeaux. The 75 Mondavi Reserve we had last year at the Cos/Pl offline was the hands down favorite over the 75 PL.
quote:
Originally posted by CSM:
quote:
Originally posted by mareff:
Beaucastel Vertical

1995-2001
2003-2005


How did the 95 show? I have one standing to go with the cassoulet I'm making this weekend.


I like the food pairing. The wine is at its peak, IMO. Although there were thoughts that this wine had some heat damage, since it seemed that the fruit had faded.
quote:
Originally posted by wine+art:
quote:
Originally posted by GlennK:

Reminded me of an 08 Les Combettes that I opened recently.


Which producer from the vineyard of Les Combettes?
Domaine Matrot. I've enjoyed both the 07 and 08 recently. Really good stuff.
A few good QPR wines over the past 2 nights:

2009 Joseph Chromy Tasmania Chardonnay - quite intense stone fruit flavours

2008 Domaine Charles Audoin Marsannay Clos du Roy - nice bright acidity and ripe cherry fruit makes this a good food wine

2008 Domaine Gille Cotes de Nuits Village - great nose with dark cherries and dark plum flavours make this a rich and flavourful wine. Again, acidity goes well with food.

All of these wines were $25 or less and bought at the LCBO.
quote:
Originally posted by GlennK:
2010 Ceritas Chardonnay Porter-Bass Vineyard – Very, Very nice CA Chard. Reminded me of an 08 Les Combettes that I opened recently.


I liked this as well, although, I found it to be a touch disappointing, in that I felt it was a step down for the 2009.
quote:
Originally posted by VinCentric:
quote:
Originally posted by max:
quote:
Originally posted by VinCentric:
quote:
Originally posted by Shane T.:
- 1987 Dunn Howell Mountain Cab Sauv.


How was this one Shane? Have you had other older vintages? I'm interested in which are the better years for older Howell Mtn cabs.
I tried the 1982 Dunn Howell Mountain late last year and it was fantastic. The bottle came from perfect storage since release and was inserted in a 1982 Bordeaux themed lineup tasted blind. The bottles opened were Haut Brion, La Tour Haut Brion, Leoville Las Cases, and another from the right bank, but can't recall the name. It came in 3rd that night behind the Haut Brion and La Tour Haut Brion. Great wine.


Thanks Max! Some older Cali Cabs really do seem to show well vis Bordeaux. The 75 Mondavi Reserve we had last year at the Cos/Pl offline was the hands down favorite over the 75 PL.
I've been impressed with how some of these older California cabs have been showing as well. A couple years ago I was fortunate enough to score a lot from auction consisting of 3 cases of older cabs ranging from the late 50's to early 70's, all from perfect provenance. I've went through near a case of these and only had 1 bottle to not show well do to a faulty cork. The best cab I've had to date, regardless of region or country, has been the 1969 Inglenook Estate Bottled cabernet sauvignon. Amazed at how that bottle showed.
quote:
Originally posted by Board-O:
quote:
Originally posted by Longboarder:

1975 Montrose How ready is it? I have 2

1986 Gruaud-Larose - Best '86 I have tasted Great to hear. Thanks for the tip. I bought a case on futures. with tannins finally integrated


The '75 was showing well but was still a little muted versus the '70. You can drink and enjoy but I don't think you need to be in a hurry.
quote:
Originally posted by Sharkey:
quote:
Originally posted by Shaferguy91:
2010 Scott Paul La Paulee Pinot


Baby Killer. Razz Have you tried the 2010 Audrey? It may be one of the wines of the vintage.

Definitely was better on night # 2. I have some 2010 Audrey but I have not had it yet.

Last night:
1996 Joseph Phelps Insignia
I have been on a Ceritas kick lately. I have more experience with the whites, so I thought I would give another pinot a try to make sure that I want to stay on the list going forward (cutting my lists way down this year). Popped the 2010 Ceritas Pinot Noir Escarpa Vineyard and it was really lovely. Clean ripe fruit on the palate that was very balanced with nice structure on the finish. Will hold my remaining bottles for a couple more years. Ceritas is a keeper.
quote:
Originally posted by GlennK:
I have been on a Ceritas kick lately. I have more experience with the whites, so I thought I would give another pinot a try to make sure that I want to stay on the list going forward (cutting my lists way down this year). Popped the 2010 Ceritas Pinot Noir Escarpa Vineyard and it was really lovely. Clean ripe fruit on the palate that was very balanced with nice structure on the finish. Will hold my remaining bottles for a couple more years. Ceritas is a keeper.


Mailing list only??
quote:
Originally posted by jorgerunfrombulls:
quote:
Originally posted by GlennK:
I have been on a Ceritas kick lately. I have more experience with the whites, so I thought I would give another pinot a try to make sure that I want to stay on the list going forward (cutting my lists way down this year). Popped the 2010 Ceritas Pinot Noir Escarpa Vineyard and it was really lovely. Clean ripe fruit on the palate that was very balanced with nice structure on the finish. Will hold my remaining bottles for a couple more years. Ceritas is a keeper.


Mailing list only??
I think Rare Wine Co. sells some of their stuff, but production is pretty small.
quote:
Originally posted by Board-O:
quote:
Originally posted by wine+art:
First wine in two weeks.

1990 Salon BdB magnum
1949 Latour Pauillac


Well, that made up for it!


+1

It's nice to see a man ease himself back into his hobby slowly and gently, taking just tiny steps until he feels he's comfortably back in the groove once more.
quote:
Originally posted by billhike:
quote:
Originally posted by EB Wine:
quote:
Originally posted by wine+art:
1990 Pol Roger Winston Churchill magnum
1949 Gruaud Larose magnum


What a life your's must be!


As the great Ice-T once stated, pimpin' ain't easy but somebody's gotta do it. Wink


99 problems, but '49s ain't one
quote:
Originally posted by wineismylife:
quote:
Originally posted by wine+art:
1982 Krug
1949 Haut Brion


Blew it with that 82.


For the first time, one of our stockholders (CFO) retired. We shared a number of his birth year wines during our three day annual meeting.

Now retired, he is going to visit the two remaining continents he has never seen. Cool
quote:
Originally posted by wine+art:
Now retired, he is going to visit the two remaining continents he has never seen. Cool


That's a cool bucket list item near and dear to my heart. I'm on the same quest. I have 3 to go and my intention is to knock 2 more out over the next 3-4 years.
2010 Filon Garnacha
2009 Aphillanthes CdR Cuvee Galets

Both enjoyed last night with pizza. Should have had the CdR first, though. The Filon was quite big, along the lines of Tres Picos. The Aphillanthes seemes almost jammy in comparison, although it smelled awesome.

Add Reply

Likes (0)
×
×
×
×