quote:
Originally posted by Board-O:
quote:
Originally posted by marcb7:
Last night: 2004 Pierre Peters BdB


How was it? I tend to like my Champagne young, but I thought the 2002 Les Chetillons needed more time.



Painfully vibrant with laser like acidity. Needs a few years, no doubt, but I actually think it will give previous vintages a run for the money. This is built for the long haul too IMO.

May I ask how much you paid for the 02'? I think the 04' is well worth the 120$.
quote:
Originally posted by Board-O:
It's a while back. $75 or $85, I think. By the way, during the summers of 2010 and 2011, we tasted a lot of Champagne. The 2004 vintage wines were impressive.



80$ is a steal for this Champagne...I dont think I can think of any Champagne that could compete at that price. Well done.
Restaurant Week in Charleston, SC:

1971 Jacques Prieur Clos de Vougeot - The best CdV I have ever tasted.
2000 Chateau Belair - Tannins still very prevelant
2009 G.D. Vajra Langhe Rosso - very nice wine
2006 Felsina Chianti Classico Riserva Rancia - the best '06 CCR I have tasted. Really an excellent wine.
NV Barnaut Blanc de Noir - Enjoyed by all.
NV Duval Leroy - OK

Dinners at The Charleston Grill, Cypress, Sermet's Courtyard, and Husk. I need to eat broth for the next month. Wonderful food.
Enjoying the following for dinner last night with the Keeler's and the Mrs:

2008 Puligny Montrachet (don't recall the name but it was excellent)
1990 clos du mont olivet chateauneuf du pape (just a great bottle)
1998 vieux donjon chateauneuf-du-pape (excellent now but a legend in 5 years)
quote:
Originally posted by on the wine:
quote:
Originally posted by vinoevelo:
2008 Stolpman l'avion roussane

What did you think of it?

Good example of roussane, but I found it a little alcohol-hot for my tastes and a too simple at that price point. My last glass started to come around as it warmed. Going to revisit tomorrow.
quote:
Originally posted by Jcocktosten:
quote:
Originally posted by g-man:
2003 chateau st pierre


How is it?


poisted a notes under the retro in the TN section.

but it was kinda like I was expecting, muted, not ready and still noticeable tannins.

to be fair, I like my wines a little more on the aged side as I rather enjoy cedar/cigar box/wet tobacco notes.

This certainly got a little fruitier at the 2 hour mark but still felt muted.
quote:
Originally posted by g-man:
quote:
Originally posted by Jcocktosten:
quote:
Originally posted by g-man:
2003 chateau st pierre


How is it?


poisted a notes under the retro in the TN section.


but it was kinda like I was expecting, muted, not ready and still noticeable tannins.

to be fair, I like my wines a little more on the aged side as I rather enjoy cedar/cigar box/wet tobacco notes.

This certainly got a little fruitier at the 2 hour mark but still felt muted.


Thanks saw the note after I asked. Will hold for a while longer
quote:
Originally posted by Gkapoor:
2008 Puligny Montrachet (don't recall the name but it was excellent)
1990 clos du mont olivet chateauneuf du pape (just a great bottle)
1998 vieux donjon chateauneuf-du-pape (excellent now but a legend in 5 years)
White burg was the 2008 Domaine Matrot Puligny-Montrachet 1er Cru Les Combettes. All the wines showed really well. Good times as always.
quote:
Originally posted by Board-O:
2010 Varner Home Block Chardonnay- yet another winner from this excellent winery


Great to hear! I just picked up a few of these! People seem to be buying up the Bee Blocks, but the Home Blocks don't seem to get as much attention.
quote:
Originally posted by Danyull:
quote:
Originally posted by Board-O:
2010 Varner Home Block Chardonnay- yet another winner from this excellent winery


Great to hear! I just picked up a few of these! People seem to be buying up the Bee Blocks, but the Home Blocks don't seem to get as much attention.


I bought a mixed case, 3 bottles each of the Varner bottlings and 3 of the Neely. This was the first one I opened.
quote:
Originally posted by Longboarder:
quote:
Originally posted by Gkapoor:
1978 La Mission Haut Brion
1982 Poyferre
2005 Masseto
2005 SQN The Naked Truth


I had the '82 Leoville Poyferre in London with Birdungy in November. It was a wonderful bottle of mature Bdx. Hope yours was equally as enjoyable.


It was LB, no idea if it will improve but who cares when it is drinking so well right now.
quote:
Originally posted by mareff:
1970 Heredia De Lopez Cosecha
1976 Heredia De Lopez Cosecha
1976 Heredia De Lopez Tondonia
1989 Imperial CVNE Cosecha
1995 Alta Rioja
1996 Pesquera
2004 Givot Priorat
2009 Dofi Priorat
1990 Heredia De Lopez Tondonia Blanco
Which wines stood out in this tasting?
quote:
Originally posted by PurpleHaze:
Tonight, to celebrate two days in a row wearing a shirt and tie.... a 1998 Leoville Barton paired with a grilled skirt steak and some potatoes fried up in some duck fat. It worked just fine. Still alive and kickin'.....

PH



Shirt and tie??? WTF! We need to chat.

How was the 98'? Ive found the left bank to be more accessible in this vintage.
quote:
Originally posted by xhoser:
quote:
Originally posted by marcb7:
Last night.

1990 Salon

Made a long Monday much more tolerable Smile


I thought you recently stated in another post that you drink plonk? I'm still waiting to see evidence to support this!




This was hiding within all the yellow tail....
quote:
Originally posted by marcb7:
and tie??? WTF! We need to chat.

How was the 98'? Ive found the left bank to be more accessible in this vintage.


I'd chat, but the friggin' necktie is restricting my breathing..... Mad Wink The 98 LB was lovely. Nothing breathtaking, but classic Bordeaux and ready to go. Found a straggler recently. Best $35 bottle of Bordeaux I've ever had for sure.....

PH
quote:
Originally posted by max:
quote:
Originally posted by mareff:
1970 Heredia De Lopez Cosecha
1976 Heredia De Lopez Cosecha
1976 Heredia De Lopez Tondonia
1989 Imperial CVNE Cosecha
1995 Alta Rioja
1996 Pesquera
2004 Givot Priorat
2009 Dofi Priorat
1990 Heredia De Lopez Tondonia Blanco
Which wines stood out in this tasting?


I was impressed with the 76's. The 1970 is over the hill, the younger Rioja's were good just not that impressive and the Priorats were very tight.
Met M/M TLV for dinner this evening:

N.V. G. Fluteau Champagne Blanc de Noirs Brut
2010 Varner Chardonnay Spring Ridge Vineyard Home Block
1997 St. Innocent Pinot Noir O'Connor Vineyard
2006 August West Pinot Noir Rosella's Vineyard
2005 Gaec-Gallet Henri et Philippe Côte-Rôtie

Another terrific evening with PurpleHaze m/m thelostverse. The Gallet was a perfect match with braised lamb shank. The August West is in a terrific place now- one word: elegant (not something I'd have associated with August West before tonight). The St. Innocent is still youthful. Hold the Varner for 5+.

TLV...I find it funny based on one line of conversation earlier tonight that the Blues Brothers is on HBO right now.
CdP tasting Friday night. We will start with a 2006 Vieux Telegraphe CdP Blanc, then move on to a bottle each of 2007 Telegraphe, Beaucastel and Donjon.

I know they are young, but I am cursed with a young cellar and don't have access to older vintages (beyond 2005). After some advice from others, the 2007 wines won out over the 2005 and 2006 vintages that are in the cellar.

Serving avocado stuffed with curried shrimp as an appetizer. The main will be beef tenderloin, prawns sautéed in a garlic/wine sauce, and some veggies.

I hope I don't burn anything!
quote:
Originally posted by geppetto:

I know they are young, but I am cursed with a young cellar and don't have access to older vintages (beyond 2005).


But you are blessed with neighbours who have older vintages of all those wines (and more), and who like to share.

If you open the gates, they will come. Smile
Last night at Bridges Restaurant I ordered a 2003 Caves de Tain Hermitage, which was a wonderful surprise, exceeding my expectations. Big expansive berry and herbal nose, ripe berry, anise, mineral notes, silky and sweet, long finish, very tasty.

Tonight left over from my wife's novel club was 2011 Thornhaven Gewürztraminer, an Okanagan white that delivers near-Alsatian quality, fairly dry but with big fruit, delicious. Also 2009 Vincent Girardin Moulin a Vent La Tour du Bief, Clos de la Tour, seems to be softening since last tasting, berries, banana and sage flavours, long finish with fine tannins at the end, still evolving but already delicious now. I have more, but will still get yet more if I find them; very versatile and tasty food wine.
quote:
Originally posted by Seaquam:
quote:
Originally posted by geppetto:

I know they are young, but I am cursed with a young cellar and don't have access to older vintages (beyond 2005).


But you are blessed with neighbours who have older vintages of all those wines (and more), and who like to share.

If you open the gates, they will come. Smile


I know you are right, but I feel a little inadequate. I had a small tasting group of noobs like myself, but that fell apart. I think we were suffering from limited access to older wines and inexperience. Right now, the oldest wine in my cellar is 2001 and that is only one bottle.

I feel as though I would be a bit of a leech if
I was drinking everyone else's aged wine and had little to offer in return.

On Sunday, I am back on a strict diet for six weeks. After that is done, I will try for a local dinner with some of the more "experienced" winos in the community. I am anxious to learn and maybe some of my younger wines will be of interest too...
Last night at a restaurant (Suzette's), from their very fairly priced wine list:

1998 Henriot Brut Champagne
2009 Fevre Chablis Caillons (sp?)
2009 Pierre Amadieu Gigondas
2003 Baumard Quarts du Chaume

Best part was, this was on someone else's expense account. Cool

All showed wonderfully, even the youngsters. My first time with a Quarts.
quote:
Originally posted by MoselleLuxemburg:
quote:
Originally posted by Rothko:
2009 Clos Floridene


White or red? Nice stuff for the money, ain't it?


Sorry, I should have specified: the red.

Yes, I thought it was quite good. My club is listing it as the monthly special for $52 a bottle.
quote:
Originally posted by AllRed:
Met M/M TLV for dinner this evening:

N.V. G. Fluteau Champagne Blanc de Noirs Brut
2010 Varner Chardonnay Spring Ridge Vineyard Home Block
1997 St. Innocent Pinot Noir O'Connor Vineyard
2006 August West Pinot Noir Rosella's Vineyard
2005 Gaec-Gallet Henri et Philippe Côte-Rôtie

Another terrific evening with PurpleHaze m/m thelostverse. The Gallet was a perfect match with braised lamb shank. The August West is in a terrific place now- one word: elegant (not something I'd have associated with August West before tonight). The St. Innocent is still youthful. Hold the Varner for 5+.

TLV...I find it funny based on one line of conversation earlier tonight that the Blues Brothers is on HBO right now.


Did Domino watch? Big Grin

PurpleHaze is really making the rounds in Chicago this week. Cool

The Gallet was a bacon fat beauty, but the August West paired perfectly with the Pork Chop in soy, ginger and brown sugar sauce.

The Varner is just a pup, but I hadn't tried the '10 Home Block yet, so I wanted to get a gauge. It is going to be spectacular. One day I'll remember that Varners must be served above cellar temp.

The St. Innocent needs more time. It also could use some food to go with it - Allred didn't open it until after dinner while we were sitting around talking. It would have been interesting to try it with the pork or lamb.

It was another wonderful evening great wine and even better company.
quote:
Originally posted by Rothko:
quote:
Originally posted by MoselleLuxemburg:
quote:
Originally posted by Rothko:
2009 Clos Floridene


White or red? Nice stuff for the money, ain't it?


Sorry, I should have specified: the red.

Yes, I thought it was quite good. My club is listing it as the monthly special for $52 a bottle.


Wow, that sounds expensive for wine that sells like < 15€ in local shops
Tonight at Crush, with VinT, OTW, Vinojoe, Darcy, and friends:

Course 1 (with the champagne)
King Crab with grapefruit, avocado, watercress & vanilla bean

1999 Laurent Perrier Brut: Bigger of the two Champagnes. More grapefruit. Excellent with the grapefruit and King Crab.

1999 Alfred Gratien Brut: Softer and more approachable. Excellent.

Course 2
Butternut squash puree with bacon & pumpkin seeds (there are a few vegetarians-please consider garnish)


2003 Louis Jadot Chateau des Jacques Moulin a Vent Clos du Rochegres: Stunning, mature, but years to go still one of my 3 wines of the night.

2006 Louis Jadot Chateau des Jacques Moulin a Vent Clos du Rochegres: Just entering into its prime drinking window. Not as big a year as the 03 but starting to show some age.

2009 Louis Jadot Chateau des Jacques Moulin a Vent Clos du Rochegres: Has mellowed and integrated since last bottle (2011) but still young and primary. Will try a bottle in 2020.

Course 3
Caramelized onion tart with olives & oven-dried cherry tomatoes
Portobello frites with truffle aioli

1999 Hudelot-Noellat Chambolle-Musigny: In a great spot now. Good time to drink.

2002 Lucien Le Moine Chambolle Musigny Les Charmes 1er Cru: Just beginning into its drinking window. Deep colour, aroma and flavour. Beautiful. One of my 3 wines of the night.

2002 Maison Roche de Bellene Auxey-Duresses 1er Cru Les Duresses: From a mystery producer under Nicolas Potels new label> excellent.

Course 3
Roasted Magret Duck breast with mushroom hash & cherry jus

1999 Domaine Marquis D’Angerville Volnay 1er Cru Les Fremiets: At its peak now. Beautiful. Smooth, still some fresh fruit, well integrated.

1998 Dominique Laurent Vosne-Romanée 1er Cru Les Beaux Monts: Too many good wines tonight to keep track of the details. This was outstanding. Thank you Anthony!

2001 Pierre DamoyChambertin Clos de Beze Grand Cru : WOTN. Stunning. Many years to go for this one. Thanks Vinojoe!

Cheese Course.

Dessert:

Chocolate devil’s food cake
Toasted marshmallow + Oreo cookie crumble

1985 Dow Vintage Port. Beautiful mature Port. Good with the dessert. Better with the stinky blue cheese.

Crush was exemplary with their caliber of service, replenishment of stems, and a great menu, well matched to our wines.

Thanks to all for the great wines, and company! A great way to wrap up a good wine week.

Earlier:

Wednesday:

2008 Sequin, then FWR for:

2010 LaStella Fortissimo: Great, comparible or better than the Sequin at dinner. bought a 6 pack

2009 LaStella Maestoso "Solo" Merlot: Big and ripe, like a Cali.

2010 Le Vieux Pin Retouche : Cab & Syrah. Big but smooth tannins. The Syrah adds some nice spice. Excellent.

Tuesday (Blind tasting) 2006 Burgs:

2006 Dubreuil-Fontaine, Corton Clos du Roi Grand Cru

2006 Antonin Guyon, Corton Clos du Roi, Grand Cru

2006 Domaine de la Vougeraie, Gevrey Chambertin, 'Les Evocelles’

2006 Louis Boillot Gevrey, Gevrey Chambertin, 'Les Evocelles

2006 Pierre & Jean-Louis Amiot, Morey-St-Denis 1er Cru, 'Les Ruchots’

2006 Domaine Jacques-Fréderic Mugnier Nuits-St.-Georges, Clos de la Maréchale, 1er Cru

2006 Joseph Voillot, Volnay 1er Cru, 'Les Champans’,

2006 Alain Hudelot-Noellat, Vosne-Romanée 1er Cru, Les Beaumonts,

My take away from the blind 06 Burg tasting was that the lighter ones are open for business but will go longer. The bigger ones definitely need more time.

A good week Smile
quote:
Originally posted by VinCentric:
Tonight at Crush, with VinT, OTW, Vinojoe, Darcy, and friends:

Course 1 (with the champagne)
King Crab with grapefruit, avocado, watercress & vanilla bean

1999 Laurent Perrier Brut: Bigger of the two Champagnes. More grapefruit. Excellent with the grapefruit and King Crab.

1999 Alfred Gratien Brut: Softer and more approachable. Excellent.

Course 2
Butternut squash puree with bacon & pumpkin seeds (there are a few vegetarians-please consider garnish)


2003 Louis Jadot Chateau des Jacques Moulin a Vent Clos du Rochegres: Stunning, mature, but years to go still one of my 3 wines of the night.

2006 Louis Jadot Chateau des Jacques Moulin a Vent Clos du Rochegres: Just entering into its prime drinking window. Not as big a year as the 03 but starting to show some age.

2009 Louis Jadot Chateau des Jacques Moulin a Vent Clos du Rochegres: Has mellowed and integrated since last bottle (2011) but still young and primary. Will try a bottle in 2020.

Course 3
Caramelized onion tart with olives & oven-dried cherry tomatoes
Portobello frites with truffle aioli

1999 Hudelot-Noellat Chambolle-Musigny: In a great spot now. Good time to drink.

2002 Lucien Le Moine Chambolle Musigny Les Charmes 1er Cru: Just beginning into its drinking window. Deep colour, aroma and flavour. Beautiful. One of my 3 wines of the night.

2002 Maison Roche de Bellene Auxey-Duresses 1er Cru Les Duresses: From a mystery producer under Nicolas Potels new label> excellent.

Course 3
Roasted Magret Duck breast with mushroom hash & cherry jus

1999 Domaine Marquis D’Angerville Volnay 1er Cru Les Fremiets: At its peak now. Beautiful. Smooth, still some fresh fruit, well integrated.

1998 Dominique Laurent Vosne-Romanée 1er Cru Les Beaux Monts: Too many good wines tonight to keep track of the details. This was outstanding. Thank you Anthony!

2001 Pierre DamoyChambertin Clos de Beze Grand Cru : WOTN. Stunning. Many years to go for this one. Thanks Vinojoe!

Cheese Course.

Dessert:

Chocolate devil’s food cake
Toasted marshmallow + Oreo cookie crumble

1985 Dow Vintage Port. Beautiful mature Port. Good with the dessert. Better with the stinky blue cheese.

Crush was exemplary with their caliber of service, replenishment of stems, and a great menu, well matched to our wines.

Thanks to all for the great wines, and company! A great way to wrap up a good wine week.

Earlier:

Wednesday:

2008 Sequin, then FWR for:

2010 LaStella Fortissimo: Great, comparible or better than the Sequin at dinner. bought a 6 pack

2009 LaStella Maestoso "Solo" Merlot: Big and ripe, like a Cali.

2010 Le Vieux Pin Retouche : Cab & Syrah. Big but smooth tannins. The Syrah adds some nice spice. Excellent.

Tuesday (Blind tasting) 2006 Burgs:

2006 Dubreuil-Fontaine, Corton Clos du Roi Grand Cru

2006 Antonin Guyon, Corton Clos du Roi, Grand Cru

2006 Domaine de la Vougeraie, Gevrey Chambertin, 'Les Evocelles’

2006 Louis Boillot Gevrey, Gevrey Chambertin, 'Les Evocelles

2006 Pierre & Jean-Louis Amiot, Morey-St-Denis 1er Cru, 'Les Ruchots’

2006 Domaine Jacques-Fréderic Mugnier Nuits-St.-Georges, Clos de la Maréchale, 1er Cru

2006 Joseph Voillot, Volnay 1er Cru, 'Les Champans’,

2006 Alain Hudelot-Noellat, Vosne-Romanée 1er Cru, Les Beaumonts,

My take away from the blind 06 Burg tasting was that the lighter ones are open for business but will go longer. The bigger ones definitely need more time.

A good week Smile


Dude, well done!
quote:
Originally posted by steve8:
quote:
Originally posted by dzitt:
2010 Duemani Cifra Costa Toscana i.g.t.


And...?


Pretty good ! Perfect balance between fruit flavors, acidity and nice chewy palate. Glad I followed and bought some. Will buy more at the 10% in february...

Add Reply

Likes (0)
×
×
×
×