A special bottle of '97 Gruaud Larose that my son back back for me when he was in Paris.

I should mention, he bought it when he was 15 yrs old and on a school exchange in grade 10. He knew I liked wine and snuck it on the plane so his teachers didn't confiscate it.

A special bottle indeed and enjoyed by the whole family with grilled filet mignon, baked brussel sprouts and tossed Japanese salad.
quote:
Originally posted by DoktaP:
A special bottle of '97 Gruaud Larose that my son back back for me when he was in Paris.

I should mention, he bought it when he was 15 yrs old and on a school exchange in grade 10. He knew I liked wine and snuck it on the plane so his teachers didn't confiscate it.

A special bottle indeed and enjoyed by the whole family with grilled filet mignon, baked brussel sprouts and tossed Japanese salad.

Love it! Cool
Tasted a few '10 Chateauneufs tonight with the Sunday brown bag group. Small sample, but compared to the few '09s we tasted back in August or September, I definitely prefer the '10s. Young & tannic now, but have fruit & structure. Will be picking up '10s for the cellar.
With Tyee and Lady Tyee:

- 1996 Billecart-Salmon Champagne Cuvee Elisabeth Salmon -- I haven't had this in years and this wine seems not to have changed much from what I remember, copper in colour, deep cherry and berry nose, floral, rich palate of berries, citrus, mineral, creamy, silky, persistent but not overwhelming mousse, long finish, just a beautiful wine

- NV H. Billiot Champagne Cuvee Julie -- big fruit bowl nose, seriously effusive mousse, tastes very young and fresh, apples and roasted nuts, really terrific Champagne that suffered only in following the Cuvee Elisabeth

- 2005 JJ Prum Riesling Wehlener Sonnenuhr Goldkapsel -- maybe the most impressive mix of acidity and fruit that you'll ever put into your mouth, stunning; this wine will live happily and provide great pleasure for decades

- 1998 Dusky Goose Pinot Noir Rambouillet Vineyard -- from Oregon, a powerhouse that was still opening more after a couple of hours in decanter, great nose of cherry and baking spice follows on palate, some earthiness and anise kicks in as well, remarkably long, long finish. Needs time, but a great Pinot Noir worth looking for

- 1999 Chateau Gruaud Larose St Julien -- there's some nice cassis aromas and flavours here, but unfortunately hidden behind a leafy, almost green note, medium length finish, not certain whether this was an entirely sound bottle but definitely a disappointment
quote:
Originally posted by xhoser:
quote:
Originally posted by NolanE:
2005 Ch Guiraud 375 with foie gras terrine.

You need to take me somewhere for this on one of my next trips to Houston. I miss this stuff!
I actually had it at home. I'm not sure which restaurant has the best foie gras preparation. W+A?
quote:
Originally posted by Seaquam:


- 1998 Dusky Goose Pinot Noir Rambouillet Vineyard -- from Oregon, a powerhouse that was still opening more after a couple of hours in decanter, great nose of cherry and baking spice follows on palate, some earthiness and anise kicks in as well, remarkably long, long finish. Needs time, but a great Pinot Noir worth looking for


? 2008? I think the frist vintage of Rambouillet was 2006.
quote:
Originally posted by Longboarder:
2004 Ramey Ritchie Vineyard Chardonnay - Surprising vibrant with butterscotch and lemon curd flavors.

Cool My favorite vineyard of all the Ramey Chardonnays.

I opened an '07 with the latour67s and Board-Os last year that was fantastic.
quote:
Originally posted by Red guy in a blue state:
quote:
Originally posted by Seaquam:


- 1998 Dusky Goose Pinot Noir Rambouillet Vineyard -- from Oregon, a powerhouse that was still opening more after a couple of hours in decanter, great nose of cherry and baking spice follows on palate, some earthiness and anise kicks in as well, remarkably long, long finish. Needs time, but a great Pinot Noir worth looking for


? 2008? I think the frist vintage of Rambouillet was 2006.




Oops! Sorry-- it was 2008. Don't know what I was thinking. Red Face

I'm guessing a 1998 wouldn't need much more time, but first it would have to exist.
quote:
Originally posted by Seaquam:
quote:
Originally posted by Red guy in a blue state:
quote:
Originally posted by Seaquam:


- 1998 Dusky Goose Pinot Noir Rambouillet Vineyard -- from Oregon, a powerhouse that was still opening more after a couple of hours in decanter, great nose of cherry and baking spice follows on palate, some earthiness and anise kicks in as well, remarkably long, long finish. Needs time, but a great Pinot Noir worth looking for


? 2008? I think the frist vintage of Rambouillet was 2006.




Oops! Sorry-- it was 2008. Don't know what I was thinking. Red Face

I'm guessing a 1998 wouldn't need much more time, but first it would have to exist.

No worries. Nice note - letting the 08s sleep peacefully. The 06 was dynamite. Absolutely love Dusky Goose. Cool
quote:
Originally posted by Longboarder:
1990 Il Poggione Riserva BdM


Any thoughts on this Longboarder? The 1990 Fuligni Riserva consumed with VinT, OTW, and Futronic was delicious over the holidays.

2003 Petrolo Galatrona - third time trying this wine and finally some complexity. IMO, it needs another couple years. But, it's already 10 years old...
quote:
Originally posted by mangiare:
quote:
Originally posted by Longboarder:
1990 Il Poggione Riserva BdM


Any thoughts on this Longboarder? The 1990 Fuligni Riserva consumed with VinT, OTW, and Futronic was delicious over the holidays.

2003 Petrolo Galatrona - third time trying this wine and finally some complexity. IMO, it needs another couple years. But, it's already 10 years old...


FWIW: Just took a quick look at the LCBO and SAQ and was amazed at the price disparity. LCBO selling the 2009 for $125, while the SAQ, still making a profit I am sure, has it for $98.25.

Wow.
Last night at dinner with Allred and our wives:

N.V. Marguet Père et Fils Champagne Blanc de Noirs Brut Tradition
2008 La Fleur de Bouard Lalande de Pomerol
2009 WesMar Pinot Noir Hellenthal Vineyard
2002 Neal Family Vineyards Cabernet Sauvignon Howell Mountain Estate
2009 Match Vineyards Cabernet Sauvignon Butterdragon Hill

The Neal and Match were both in an excellent place last night. I even enjoyed the La Fleur last night.
quote:
Originally posted by Bruce Hayes:

FWIW: Just took a quick look at the LCBO and SAQ and was amazed at the price disparity. LCBO selling the 2009 for $125, while the SAQ, still making a profit I am sure, has it for $98.25.

Wow.


Funny, cheapest I have found this in Calgary is $135!! Some of the pricing out here is absolutely ridiculous.
quote:
Originally posted by VinT:
quote:
Originally posted by VinCentric:
2009 Jean Michel et Laurent Pillot Mercurey en Sazenay 1er


Thoughts?


Light barnyard and red fruit on the nose. A bit tart/cranberry to start on the palate, plus red fruit. Light to medium bodied. Opened up nicely with the bit of barnyard blowing off, and the tartness softening up. Drinking nicely now. The fruit isn't as big on this as on some of the other 2009s I've tried but it's nicely balanced. I'd drink this one over the next couple of years.
quote:
Originally posted by nevada slim:
quote:
Originally posted by Shaferguy91:
2011 Bedrock Wine Co. Heirloom Wine Pagani Ranch

Please share your thoughts on this wine.


First Bedrock I've ever had. Very dark purple color. Lots of powerful flavor with a good finish. Reminds me of a Linne Calodo zin blend at a cheaper price.

Last night:
2008 Chasseur Pinot Noir Umino Vineyard
Last night w/VanCityWino and our ladies:

- NV H. Billiot Champagne Cuvee Laetitia -- a really excellent Champagne, complex and rich, lots of pear, ginger, white chocolate, roasted nuts, a bit spicy, good acidity, very long finish, even better than their Cuvee Julie to my taste

- 2011 Domaine Fouassier Sancerre Les Baronne -- very nice, apple and citrus, quite intense, perfect with fresh oysters

- 2007 Meo-Camuzet Morey St-Denis -- lovely nose of cherry, barnyard and herbs, silky, interesting mix of ripe cherry, mushroom and sage flavours with some sour cherry notes kicking in at the end, light in colour but long in finish, fine quality village wine drinking very well now

- 2001 Domaine Pegau Chateauneuf du Pape Cuvee Reservee -- still dark, big nose of berries and some funky stank, lots of berry and plum flavour, garrigue, pepper, basil, rich mouthfeel, dense, long finish with some fine tannins at the end, excellent, can probably use a few more years to show all it has
quote:
Originally posted by Shaferguy91:
Last night with Memphis area wine guys at Cafe Society:

I brought a 2007 Chasseur Pinot Noir Rayhill Russian River Valley.



How was that? I have 1 bottle that I was looking at yesterday. Is there any point in waiting a bit longer to open it?
quote:
Originally posted by Seaquam:
Last night w/VanCityWino and our ladies:

- NV H. Billiot Champagne Cuvee Laetitia -- a really excellent Champagne, complex and rich, lots of pear, ginger, white chocolate, roasted nuts, a bit spicy, good acidity, very long finish, even better than their Cuvee Julie to my taste

- 2011 Domaine Fouassier Sancerre Les Baronne -- very nice, apple and citrus, quite intense, perfect with fresh oysters

- 2007 Meo-Camuzet Morey St-Denis -- lovely nose of cherry, barnyard and herbs, silky, interesting mix of ripe cherry, mushroom and sage flavours with some sour cherry notes kicking in at the end, light in colour but long in finish, fine quality village wine drinking very well now

- 2001 Domaine Pegau Chateauneuf du Pape Cuvee Reservee -- still dark, big nose of berries and some funky stank, lots of berry and plum flavour, garrigue, pepper, basil, rich mouthfeel, dense, long finish with some fine tannins at the end, excellent, can probably use a few more years to show all it has


You truly drink well, Seaquam. A very intelligent selector of wines, and I'm sincere when I say this.
quote:
Originally posted by Shaferguy91:
Last night with Memphis area wine guys at Cafe Society:

I brought a 2007 Chasseur Pinot Noir Rayhill Russian River Valley.
Yes, great time and some pretty good wines opened as well. This is what I remember being opened last night.

2002 Maison Leroy Meursault: In a great spot with ample fruit and nice acidity to balance.
2006 Peter Michael (vineyard ?) This bottle had a slight hint of cork taint.
1986 Maison Leroy Volnay Santenots: Drinking at peak now; in fact, not going to get better. But, fantastic now.
2007 Chasseur Pinot Noir Rayhill Vineyard: Nice drinking this along the Leroy. Both wines good examples of their respective regions. This bottle got better with air. I would hold if I had any.
1997 Pertimali Brunello di Montalcino: This wine was decanted 1 1/2 hours and was still a baby. Great wine and my WOTN even though it showed so young. Wouldn't open unless given 3+ hours in decanter or 5 more years in bottle.
2002 Spottswoode Cabernet Sauvignon: Another well made wine and another wine needing more time.
tonight with rotisserie chicken, a bottle of 2009 Cono Sur Pinot Noir Ocio, from Chile's Casablanca Valley. My curiosity was piqued by this wine's price, so I picked one up to try. It is immediately reminiscent of some inexpensive New Zealand Pinot Noirs that I've had, juicy but simple one-note cherry flavours, medium finish. It's a decent wine and should sell around $20-25 in my market, but it costs way more than that.

On the plus side, it comes in a heavy bottle with maybe the deepest punt I've ever seen on a 750 ml bottle. That's gotta be the prime justification for the price.
Seaquam,

I hope your rotisserie chicken was better than mine. Had a coupon and a gift card for Swiss Chalet, so picked up some take-out. The chicken was undercooked so I took it back and they gave me another complete meal, but the chicken was again undercooked. I couldn't be bothered to go back again, so I'm making chicken stock right now!

Regarding the Cono Sur, is that their organic Pinot?
quote:
Originally posted by wine+art:
quote:
Originally posted by xhoser:
quote:
Originally posted by Shane T.:
- 2009 Didier Dagueneau Blanc Fumé de Pouilly (a different league of Sauv Blanc. I'll post some notes on this one


Have you tried the Silex or Pur Sang? If not, you should.


+1.


IIRC the son took over production recently due to the passing of Didier. If correct, what vintage did the change happen and has there been a noticeable change in style or quality? I've only had a couple and enjoyed each immensely.
quote:
Originally posted by snipes:
quote:
Originally posted by wine+art:
quote:
Originally posted by xhoser:
quote:
Originally posted by Shane T.:
- 2009 Didier Dagueneau Blanc Fumé de Pouilly (a different league of Sauv Blanc. I'll post some notes on this one


Have you tried the Silex or Pur Sang? If not, you should.


+1.


IIRC the son took over production recently due to the passing of Didier. If correct, what vintage did the change happen and has there been a noticeable change in style or quality? I've only had a couple and enjoyed each immensely.


DD died in 2008, snipes.

I'm still drinking vintages prior to death, but have heard good things about more current releases as well.
quote:
Originally posted by Wine doc:
With friends at a terrific new Mexican seafood restaurant -great, imaginative menu and also has corkage.

1999 Argyle Extended Tirage
2010 Kosta-Browne One-sixteen Chardonnay
2009 William Fevre Champs Royaux Chablis
2006 La Baronne Notre Dame Syrah
Was this La Fisheria?
quote:
Originally posted by wine+art:
quote:
Originally posted by NolanE:

Was this La Fisheria?


Have you tried their grilled octopus with potato chips drizzled in Mexican vanilla oil? Winner


Indeed! And, we did!
Our meal started with a trio of ceviche, the grilled octopus, and raw tuna tostadas. The sparkler was terrific with the octopus, and the acidity of the ceviche cut through the oak of the chardonnay. Very pleasant pairings.
Fun place with a great staff. Not so learned in the ways of wine service, but we made due. Wink
quote:
Originally posted by Seaquam:
quote:
Originally posted by Shaferguy91:
Last night with Memphis area wine guys at Cafe Society:

I brought a 2007 Chasseur Pinot Noir Rayhill Russian River Valley.


How was that? I have 1 bottle that I was looking at yesterday. Is there any point in waiting a bit longer to open it?


No harm in waiting but I think it is ready. I decanted it 1 hour. Max thought it would still improve though.

Last night:
2008 Aubert Pinot Noir UV Vineyard
quote:
Originally posted by Wine doc:
quote:
Originally posted by wine+art:
quote:
Originally posted by NolanE:

Was this La Fisheria?


Have you tried their grilled octopus with potato chips drizzled in Mexican vanilla oil? Winner


Indeed! And, we did!
Our meal started with a trio of ceviche, the grilled octopus, and raw tuna tostadas. The sparkler was terrific with the octopus, and the acidity of the ceviche cut through the oak of the chardonnay. Very pleasant pairings.
Fun place with a great staff. Not so learned in the ways of wine service, but we made due. Wink
We live down the street from La Fisheria but just learned about it a few weeks ago. I'm very happy to hear that it is BYOB and we will dine there soon.
quote:
Originally posted by xhoser:
quote:
Originally posted by Shane T.:
- 2009 Didier Dagueneau Blanc Fumé de Pouilly (a different league of Sauv Blanc. I'll post some notes on this one


Have you tried the Silex or Pur Sang? If not, you should.


That was my first experience with a Dagueneau wine, but it certainly won't be my last. It seems like the post-2007 stuff (Silex & Pur Sang) is readily available, but not so much with the back vintages. Any suggestions?

Add Reply

Likes (0)
×
×
×
×