January 2013: What are you drinking?

quote:
Originally posted by aagrawal:
quote:
Originally posted by Wineplease:
1998 Dom Perignon

How was it? I have one bottle only... when would you recommend that I open it?


The 98 DP showed very well.
I don't have much experience drinking aged champagne so I am not sure to answer your second question.
I will need other forumnites to help me answer that question.
quote:
Originally posted by Wineplease:
quote:
Originally posted by aagrawal:
quote:
Originally posted by Wineplease:
1998 Dom Perignon

How was it? I have one bottle only... when would you recommend that I open it?


The 98 DP showed very well.
I don't have much experience drinking aged champagne so I am not sure to answer your second question.
I will need other forumnites to help me answer that question.

I would strongly suggest sourcing a couple more bottles, if you are able to aagrawal. This is a vintage that drinks well now and will age gracefully, IMO. If you truly are limited to just one bottle and you are seeking the ideal sweet spot, that really depends upon Your idea of a Champagne's sweet spot. A point upon which you get more mature, softened, toasty nuances? I would guess 8- 15 yrs should put you approx in that zone. As you get closer you're sure to have feedback from others regarding how its doing along the way (as well as how you are storing your bottle). I doubt that I'm far off regarding a 'window' however.
2 x 2002 Taittinger Comtes
2 x 2008 Ken Forrester The FMC
2 x 2007 Marcel Deiss Grasberg
2 x 2007 Domaine des Baumard Quarts de Chaume

All were good (the Grasberg) to great (the Comtes and Quarts) but the FMC was the most surprisingly good. Easily 93+ points for me and as good an off-dry Chenin Blanc as I’ve had.
Recent wines:

2006 Calera Pinot Noir Mills (half bottle) – Drinking really well right now with nice fruit and starting to show some mature notes at age 6. Tasty

2011 Calera Chardonnay Central Coast – Easy drinking white with nice crisp apple and some melon flavors. Not going to change your life, but for under $20 this is a real winner.

2004 Collazzi Toscana IGT – Drinking really well now and showing a bit more of an earthy nose and flavor than expected, but it was a welcome addition to contrast with the ripe fruit. Paired perfectly with some prime ribeye’s from the grill.

2011 Littorai Pinot Noir Sonoma Coast – I’m having a hard time keeping my hands off these. Really balanced and delicious with pure red fruits and a nice and zingy finish. Love this winery.

2002 Mongeard-Mugneret Echezeaux – This bottle was out of balance from the get go with a bit too much oak for me and the fruit was on the overripe/sweet side. Tasted more like a big CA pinot than grand cru burg.
Forgot one:

2005 Rieussec – Pretty gross actually. This might be the nail in my sauternes coffin. They are just too sweet for me and I could barely manage a couple of sips of this wine. The sad part is it was paired with a really well prepared foie course, but it completely overpowered the dish. I’ve had success with foie and sauternes in the past, but I think I’m going elsewhere with that pairing in the future and no more sauternes for me. I’ve given it a good try, it’s just not for me.
quote:
Originally posted by GlennK:
Forgot one:

2005 Rieussec – Pretty gross actually. This might be the nail in my sauternes coffin. They are just too sweet for me and I could barely manage a couple of sips of this wine. The sad part is it was paired with a really well prepared foie course, but it completely overpowered the dish. I’ve had success with foie and sauternes in the past, but I think I’m going elsewhere with that pairing in the future and no more sauternes for me. I’ve given it a good try, it’s just not for me.


Pater dimitte illis non enim sciunt quid faciunt.
quote:
Originally posted by billhike:
quote:
Originally posted by GlennK:
2005 Rieussec – Pretty gross actually. This might be the nail in my sauternes coffin.


Blasphemer! Cast of with ye, unclean spirit! Razz
Haha. I know it’s not a popular opinion, but it’s just my opinion on sweet wines in general. I have tried many, including great vintages of d’yquem both young and mature, and I just don’t get them. I don’t have a sweet tooth for food either though. You will rarely see me order a very sweet dessert (or dessert at all) and I have not had a piece of candy since I was a kid. It’s just how my taste buds work I guess. More of the rest of you!
quote:
Originally posted by vinoevelo:
2010 Lapierre Morgon
How did this bottle show? I've been enjoying Lapierre's wines since the 2000 vintage and amazed at how consistent they have been. Not tried the 2010's yet but sitting on a few.
quote:
Originally posted by wine+art:
quote:
Originally posted by errestaurants:
2005 Vieux Chateau Certan


Where in the world have you been hiding? Smile

We need to drink some wine together, soon.


Like you, wine is not my primary passion. Lifting weights has always been number 1 for me and I got away from it. Spent the last 2 years getting back into shape, dropped 45 pounds and trying to find balance. Between food, wine and work I became undisciplined. For me it's truly been about quality over quantity :;
I haven't posted my consumption in awhile, but here's what I've had in the past few weeks:
NV Charles Ellner Champagne Brut Rose
2009 Rivers Marie Pinot Noir Silver Eagle Vineyard
2008 Elk Cove Pinot Noir Shea Vineyard
2009 Barnard Griffin Merlot Reserve
2010 Booker Vertigo 22 Months
2011 Chateau Fontaine Woodland White
2010 Carlisle Zinfandel Martinelli Road Vineyard
2011 Chakana Malbec Estate Selection
quote:
Originally posted by GlennK:
quote:
Originally posted by mareff:
2004 Lazzeretti Bdm
how is this drinking now?


I think that this is in a great spot right now. Not too complex and the tannins are fully integrated so that they are subtle. Would not hold on too long.
quote:
Originally posted by max:
quote:
Originally posted by vinoevelo:
2010 Lapierre Morgon
How did this bottle show? I've been enjoying Lapierre's wines since the 2000 vintage and amazed at how consistent they have been. Not tried the 2010's yet but sitting on a few.


And Vinc..


Showed well, but showed best on the third day. Put on more weight the longer it had to breathe. Love lapierre and might be a bit biased. Told myself back in June to hide these and keep my hands off, but its been difficult.
quote:
Originally posted by vinoevelo:
quote:
Originally posted by max:
quote:
Originally posted by vinoevelo:
2010 Lapierre Morgon
How did this bottle show? I've been enjoying Lapierre's wines since the 2000 vintage and amazed at how consistent they have been. Not tried the 2010's yet but sitting on a few.


And Vinc..


Showed well, but showed best on the third day. Put on more weight the longer it had to breathe. Love lapierre and might be a bit biased. Told myself back in June to hide these and keep my hands off, but its been difficult.


Thanks Vinoevelo. I'll watch for Lapierre. It looks like some other 2010 Morgon are still in the system though. Maybe I'll try a one or two.
Some baby killing yesterday with gkapoor:

2009 Etienne Sauzet Puligny-Montrachet 1er Cru Champ-Canet –Overall I have enjoyed the style of the 2010 vintage over 2009 so far in Burgundy, but this was an excellent showing. Plenty of fruit on the palate but nicely balanced with a mineraly finish and nice acidity. Some 09’s have been overdone for me, but this was fantastic.

2009 Pontet-Canet – We opened this around noon and had a taste and then just let it slow o in the cellar until dinner. While obviously young this was surprisingly easy to drink with nice ripe fruit on the attack and really fine tannins that were not harsh at all despite its youth. No trace of alcohol to me which I have heard might be an issue for 09. Will be a blockbuster with some age, but it was enjoyable now if you want to pop one before it shuts down.

1999 Mouton Rothschild – Had a taste of this at the restaurant from one of those enomatic wine machines. More of a red fruit profile that is starting to show some age. Very enjoyable “classic” Bordeaux, but I wouldn't pay the going rate for this wine these days.

Fun night as always with gk.
quote:
Originally posted by Wine Canuck:
quote:
Originally posted by VinCentric:
2001 Bouchard Pere & Fils Corton le Corton GC


What did you think of this?


It started off somewhat light (understandable for the vintage) with underbrush and a bit of barnyard (which blew off). Nose and flavors were typical Beaune with underbrush, mushrooms, red fruit and a bit of smoke. After a couple of hours it put on some weight and was quite enjoyable. It's showing a bit of age but still has time to go. I'm not sure if it will improve from here, so I'd drink them if I had more 2001s. 89pts. It did make think that the 2006 I have should be excellent, and 2005 could be a good QPR.
quote:
Originally posted by VinCentric:
Very nicely done! I like the liquid Friday afternoon theme Cool

How was the Boisrenard?

The 99 Boisrenard is in a good spot still but I don't know how many more years it has. My favourite wine was ths 04 Paleo, so everything pales in comparison.
quote:
Originally posted by on the wine:
quote:
Originally posted by VinCentric:
Very nicely done! I like the liquid Friday afternoon theme Cool

How was the Boisrenard?

The 99 Boisrenard is in a good spot still but I don't know how many more years it has. My favourite wine was ths 04 Paleo, so everything pales in comparison.


No surprise on the 04 Paleo! Winner It would be a hard act for the others to follow. Glad to hear the Boisrenard was good. I had a 1990 a while back that was good but probably a bit past peak imo.
Some memorable ones:
1986 Quarts-de-Chaume, Chateau Bellerive, the oldest wine in my cellar, like frozen in time, has nit changed during the last years
1999 Chateau Rieussec, Sauternes
2005 Heritage de Thieuley, Chateau Thieuley, the first time i opened a 2005 Bordeaux, a totally understated "Appellation Bordeaux" from a true wine magician, thank you Mr. Francis Courselle.
quote:
Originally posted by wine+art:
2x NV H. Billiot Cuvee Laetitia ( vintages from '83 - '05)

2005 Domaine Bertagna Corton Charlemagne Grand Cru

2005 J-P Fichet Les Referts Montrachet

2002 Domaine E. Sauzet Montrachet

1996 Domaine Bonneau du Martray Corton Charlemagne

Enjoyed at lunch yesterday.


Burger King?
quote:
Originally posted by txgolfpro:
quote:
Originally posted by wine+art:
2x NV H. Billiot Cuvee Laetitia ( vintages from '83 - '05)

2005 Domaine Bertagna Corton Charlemagne Grand Cru

2005 J-P Fichet Les Referts Montrachet

2002 Domaine E. Sauzet Montrachet

1996 Domaine Bonneau du Martray Corton Charlemagne

Enjoyed at lunch yesterday.


Burger King?
LOL

Looks like a stellar selection of white burgs W&A - a great lunch! Bow Did any really stand out from the rest? Any TN's?
quote:
Originally posted by txgolfpro:
quote:
Originally posted by wine+art:
2x NV H. Billiot Cuvee Laetitia ( vintages from '83 - '05)

2005 Domaine Bertagna Corton Charlemagne Grand Cru

2005 J-P Fichet Les Referts Montrachet

2002 Domaine E. Sauzet Montrachet

1996 Domaine Bonneau du Martray Corton Charlemagne

Enjoyed at lunch yesterday.


Burger King?


Not until they start serving lobster. Razz
quote:
Originally posted by thelostverse:
Last night with roast duck - 2010 Kutch Pinot Noir McDougall Ranch. Way young, but I have 6 and wanted to get a gauge. I haven't even tried any of my '09s yet as I only have three of those.
How was it? I have a couple
quote:
Originally posted by Bruce Hayes:
quote:
Originally posted by on the wine:
Another liquid Friday afternoon celebrating a co-worker's birthday...

2005 Benjamin Bridge Brut Reserve


How was this? Does it live up to the hype?

I certainly enjoyed it and I think it is a very good sparkling wine. But I could have found others just as good at a lower price.
Last night w/Tyees:

- Guy Charlemagne Champagne Brut Rose -- nice Pinot Noir nose and same on palate, lots of cherry, spice, excellent

- 2004 Dom. Weinbach Gewurztraminer Cuvee Laurence -- textbook roses and lichi, pear, white pepper, rich and silky, finishes long and, unlike a lot of other Gewurztraminers, very dry (Tyee called this "a wine connoisseur's Gewurz"), delicious

- 2002 Mommessin Clos de Tart -- blackberry, cherry, anise, mineral, shows more and more with every mouthful, velvety, a Great Wine still a few year from peak, long expansive finish, a Wow! wine, killer Burgundy!

- 1997 Allegrini Amarone -- some cheesy stank, lots of sultana raisin, milk chocolate, tar, big and powerful, long finish with big round tannins, probably drinking as well as it's going to but no hurry to get rid of these yet

- 1987 Fonseca Port Guimarens -- plum, cinnamon, sage, fig flavours, not a huge Fonseca but complex, rich, delicious and perfect for a rainy night
quote:
Originally posted by GlennK:
quote:
Originally posted by thelostverse:
Last night with roast duck - 2010 Kutch Pinot Noir McDougall Ranch. Way young, but I have 6 and wanted to get a gauge. I haven't even tried any of my '09s yet as I only have three of those.
How was it? I have a couple


This was quite nice. More of an elegant style than some full throttle Cali Pinots. I only opened one because I had six. If I only had a couple, I would wait on these. If in doubt, Jamie has a vintage chart on his site. As I indicated in my original post, I haven't opened any of my '09s yet.
quote:
Originally posted by thelostverse:
quote:
Originally posted by GlennK:
quote:
Originally posted by thelostverse:
Last night with roast duck - 2010 Kutch Pinot Noir McDougall Ranch. Way young, but I have 6 and wanted to get a gauge. I haven't even tried any of my '09s yet as I only have three of those.
How was it? I have a couple


This was quite nice. More of an elegant style than some full throttle Cali Pinots. I only opened one because I had six. If I only had a couple, I would wait on these. If in doubt, Jamie has a vintage chart on his site. As I indicated in my original post, I haven't opened any of my '09s yet.
Thanks!
quote:
Originally posted by Seaquam:


- 1987 Fonseca Port Guimarens -- plum, cinnamon, sage, fig flavours, not a huge Fonseca but complex, rich, delicious and perfect for a rainy night


may i ask where you found this?

i'm missing this vintage in my many year vertical of fonseca =)
quote:
Originally posted by Spanishwinery.es:
2008 Zarzanas, Spanish Crianza, a balanced Tempranillo, Syrach and Merlot grapes.


An international WineSearcher inquiry indicates that there is only one supplier of this wine in the world.

Guess who?? Roll Eyes

How do you say douchebag en espanol?? Mad

PH
quote:
Originally posted by PurpleHaze:
quote:
Originally posted by Spanishwinery.es:
2008 Zarzanas, Spanish Crianza, a balanced Tempranillo, Syrach and Merlot grapes.


An international WineSearcher inquiry indicates that there is only one supplier of this wine in the world.

Guess who?? Roll Eyes

How do you say douchebag en espanol?? Mad

PH

PH, there is no translation; however, the term transcends all languages. Big Grin
Actually I think you are correct on the higher percentage of Syrah. I stated it that way just to mention the 6th grape. We bought the bottle at the winery when out there a few months ago. My other half was more excited about how cheap they were selling barrel ends and staves for. Her brothers are woodworkers and the pieces we brought back will make a small table.

Add Reply

Likes (0)
×
×
×
×