January 2013: What are you buying?

quote:
Originally posted by AML:
My top 5 of those was CHP, LP, DD, Myrat, Guiraud.

The CHP and LP are top of the heap due to sheer complexity and better acid profile. The CHP is a little lighter nature, and has the highest perceived acid on the list, a combination which gives a real sense of freshness on the nose and palate. I found the LP to be much darker, leaning towards a dried fruit, caramel and burnt sugar profile. Both are lovely, but somewhat contrasting styles.

Thanks for the comments AML and Wine Canuck. AMLs comment is consistent with what I experienced tasting the Sauternes (except LP and CLP) at the 07 UGC. That is they fell into two categories: first were ones with big botrytis spice, clove (e.g. Doisy Daene, Coutet, Guiraud, de Fargues) and second - tropical fruit prominent, stone fruit, honey.. (e.g. Bastor Lamontagne, Tour Blanche)

It turns out I have some 2007 Coutet and Doisey Daene as well as the Mryat, but your comments lead me to think I might add some Guiraud and CHP.
quote:
Originally posted by VinCentric:
quote:
Originally posted by Wine Canuck:
Our group has gone through a lot of '07 Sauternes. While all have been immensely enjoyable, today I would rank them as follows:

2007 Château Lafaurie-Peyraguey
2007 Château Clos Haut-Peyraguey
2007 Château de Myrat
2007 Château Doisy-Daëne
2007 Château Guiraud
2007 Château d'Arche
2007 Château Filhot

Ranging from about 91 - 95 Points.

Thanks - GREAT list! What was it about the Peyraguey's that made them top the list at this point?

I opened a 1975 Filhot before Christmas, and it exceeded expectations - not a Chateau that gets a lot of attention but very, very tasty.

EDIT: Didn't see the replies above before I responded but comments are consistent.

For me the Lafaurie-Peyraguey is superior for more complexity via creme brulee, vanilla, honey, and botrytis. Whereas some have preferred the Clos Haut-Peyraguey which was more about the upfront tropical fruit (mango, pineapple). The remainder were all very enjoyable but didn't bring the complexity and expressiveness of the top two.
- 2002 Bollinger Champagne Grande Annee
- 2003 Dr Thanisch Riesling Bernkasteler Doctor Auslese (375 ml)
- 2009 Dom Baumard Savennieres Clos du Papillon
- 2008 Dom William Fevre Chablis GC Bougros Cote Bouguerots
- 2009 Delas Freres Cote Rotie Seigneur de Maugiron
quote:
Originally posted by Bruce Hayes:
quote:
Originally posted by steve8:
quote:
Originally posted by Mimik:
2010 Duemani Cifra IGT

POINT WHORE!! Big Grin

Whose points? Had never heard of this wine so did a Google search and couldn't find any reviews.

Google must have been broken Bruce. Razz WA 93 and IWC 92.

Mimik, no idea as I have not tried nor had I heard of this wine until the other day when I saw it on the SAQ website.
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Bruce Hayes:
quote:
quote:
2010 Duemani Cifra IGT

POINT WHORE!! Big Grin

Whose points? Had never heard of this wine so did a Google search and couldn't find any reviews.

Google must have been broken Bruce. Razz WA 93 and IWC 92.

Mimik, no idea as I have not tried nor had I heard of this wine until the other day when I saw it on the SAQ website.

Not to mention 91.8 on cellar tracker Winner

What intrigued me was that is is a cab franc that allegedly has no bell pepper notes. Organically made, worth a try for 25.75$. For some reason dorval has a boatload of them. Will try one this weekend and report back!
quote:

What intrigued me was that is is a cab franc that allegedly has no bell pepper notes. Organically made, worth a try for 25.75$. For some reason dorval has a boatload of them. Will try one this weekend and report back!

I am curious too. Just asked my SAQ to transfert some from Dorval for me Smile

dzitt
quote:
Originally posted by dzitt:
quote:

I am curious too. Just asked my SAQ to transfert some from Dorval for me Smile

dzitt

As am I. I have family on the West Island and we are planning a visit.
quote:
Originally posted by VinT:
quote:

I miss RoboPorker.

Lol. Due to alleged trademark infringements, Robo Porker is temporarily on hiatus until the lawyers can work things out.

Dzitt, I am sick with a cold so let us know your TN if you try a bottle.
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by VinT:
quote:

I miss RoboPorker.

Lol. Due to alleged trademark infringements, Robo Porker is temporarily on hiatus until the lawyers can work things out.

Dzitt, I am sick with a cold so let us know your TN if you try a bottle.

If you escape with only a cold consider yourself fortunate. I started with the flu 2 weeks ago and it morphed into a cold which I still have.

I am now also curious about this wine and I see what you mean about Dorval having a boatload of it. But it doesn't change the fact you are a point whore! Razz
quote:
Originally posted by Merengue:
quote:
Originally posted by xhoser:
6 x 2007 Stefania Eagle Point Ranch Syrah
6 x 2010 Stefania Crimson Clover

Where did you get these? I thought the mailing list offers come out in the spring?? Confused

These are from their futures offer which precedes the spring offer.
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Merengue:
quote:
6 x 2007 Stefania Eagle Point Ranch Syrah
6 x 2010 Stefania Crimson Clover

Where did you get these? I thought the mailing list offers come out in the spring?? Confused

These are from their futures offer which precedes the spring offer.

Thx; haven't made it to the "club" that gets the futures offers --- yet.
Stefania futures... Cool
9 x 2010 Stefania Cabernet Sauvignon, Santa Cruz Mountains
8 x 2011 Stefania Syrah Coastview Vineyard Monterey County
8 x 2007 Stefania Syrah, Eaglepoint Ranch, Mendocino County
11 x 2010 Stefania Cabernet Sauvignon, Crimson Clover Vineyard Santa Clara Valley
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by g-man:
Mmm here's a decision,

a case of d'yquem or a new a/v receiver ...
ARGH!#@$!@

What vintage and format? Go for the Yquem. You can always buy a better receiver for the same price in 6 months.

heh 750s en primeur
quote:
quote:
Mmm here's a decision,

ARGH!#@$!@

What vintage and format? Go for the Yquem. You can always buy a better receiver for the same price in 6 months.

+1

Years from now, what sounds better to you?...an aged Yquem, or an aged receiver?!
quote:
Originally posted by Shane T.:
quote:
quote:
Mmm here's a decision,

ARGH!#@$!@

+1

Years from now, what sounds better to you?...an aged Yquem, or an aged receiver?!

depends on the speakers Big Grin

Add Reply

Likes (0)