Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Lunch last Sunday:
1-breaded and deep fried eggplant "fries" with spicey tomato puree for dipping (served with a NV Samuel Adams Lager)
2-Spinach salad with fresh orange supremes, toasted almond and poppy seed dressing (Canevel Prosecco 2007)
3-Lobster Risotto (Canavel Prosecco)
4-Cassoulet (Lurton Pilheiros 2005, a blend from Portugal)
5-Gorgonzola and cashews served with Bodegas Tomas Abad East India Rich Cream Oloroso Sherry

Dinner last night:
1-Potato and Leek soup garnished with roasted bacon bits (Mondavi Fume Blanc 2006)
2-Prime Rib with roasted root veg (Mondot Saint Emilion Grand Cru 2000)
3-Fresh berry flan (Peller Estates Ice Cuvee sparkling wine)
My wife and I were in the mood to try a new restaurant this weekend so we went to a L’Etranger in South Kensington. This place was billed as French/Asian fusion and received nice marks from Zagat and even better reviews from the local London food press. Either they were having a really bad night, or everyone is way wrong about this place. On the surface everything looked great, nice décor, solid wine list and a menu that made our mouth water. Tasting menu in this order - lobster bisque, tuna tartar, miso glazed cod, wagyu beef and 2 dessert courses. How could that be bad? It was bad. Some things were overcooked, others over salted, others served to cold showing it had been sitting out and presentation was a mess. I gave the backhanded comment to the server asking if the head chef was still on holiday but she said he was in the kitchen.Eek Oh well, on to the next place.
quote:
Originally posted by GlennK:
quote:
Originally posted by wine+art:
We are staying home tonight and cooking.

Assuming we like what we find at our favorite seafood shop.

Champagne steamed mussels... Vilmart Grand Cellier NV Brut
Lemon risotto with grilled shrimp and grilled asparagus tips... 2003 Cantina Terlano Alto Adige Terianer Quarz
Italian Pound Cake... Espresso.
Sounds fabulous. What wines are you thinking?

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.