Skip to main content

quote:
Originally posted by Adam10:
It's bloody freezing. That's it I'm moving to the States. Anyone live in Phoenix? The brochure looks nice.

You can buy a house for a song currently. A great place for people with the cash who are going to live there long term. The summer is brutal. Many days of 110 to 116, occasionally higher. Great location for visiting Sedona, Tucson, the Grand Canyon. Las Vegas and CA are a decent drive or cheap and fast to fly. We love the desert and frequently make trips to AZ, but never between June to Sept.
quote:
Originally posted by Mr Cabernet:
quote:
Originally posted by Adam10:
It's bloody freezing. That's it I'm moving to the States. Anyone live in Phoenix? The brochure looks nice.

You can buy a house for a song currently. A great place for people with the cash who are going to live there long term. The summer is brutal. Many days of 110 to 116, occasionally higher. Great location for visiting Sedona, Tucson, the Grand Canyon. Las Vegas and CA are a decent drive or cheap and fast to fly. We love the desert and frequently make trips to AZ, but never between June to Sept.

I was in Phoenix in late Oct/early Nov visiting a friend. It was around 80 and beautiful. I told him that if it would stay like that, I'd be packing my belongings. Wink
quote:
Originally posted by vinole:

ooh we didn't make it to 70 today because of that front (Monday morning was 69 at dawn). Still no freezes though despite the coldest December on record.

Saw on the news this morning that Florida is the only state in the Union that hasn't had snowfall this winter. Even Hawaii had snow? What's that about? Confused
quote:
Originally posted by Board-O:
quote:
Originally posted by vinole:
Still no freezes though despite the coldest December on record.


In South Boynton on the 28th or 29th, there was ice on my windshield at 7 AM. Not just condensation, but ice.


The historical temps found HERE for Boca Raton show 34 degrees as the low for all of December and was 36 on the 27th and 37 on the 28th. Of course temps can vary and if you're further west, north, or in a low spot would be a few degrees cooler.
quote:
Originally posted by vinole:
quote:
Originally posted by Bigfoot003:
Living in MN S FL, this is the funniest thread running on the board! Big Grin


ooh we didn't make it to 70 today because of that front (Monday morning was 69 at dawn). Still no freezes though despite the coldest December on record.


Yep heat on again this a.m.

Interesting 2010:
Coldest first quarter
Coldest December
Warmest summer
One month most rain
and now records for dryness.

Nice to realize that we still have 2+ months of winter. At least we are the only state without snow.
quote:
Originally posted by billhike:
Gotta love mechanicals - freaking furnace went out yesterday afternoon! Luckily I have good insulation - still 60 degrees while drinking coffee and waiting for the service guy...


Bill - hope your repairman can get you up and running quick since we're heading down into single digits over the the 24 hours in the Chicago area. Good thing I've got a flight out of here later today back to SoCal! Smile
quote:
Originally posted by Bigfoot003:
quote:
Originally posted by ChillyWino:
-50 with wind chill this morning, got to a high of -6, then supposed to get down to -18 tonight!

Not a nice way to be welcomed back from our trip.


Right there with you Brutha! Supposedly heading to -21 here.


Geez and I was going to complain it was going to get near freezing tonight in Houston...
quote:
Originally posted by mneeley490:
quote:
Originally posted by vinole:

ooh we didn't make it to 70 today because of that front (Monday morning was 69 at dawn). Still no freezes though despite the coldest December on record.

Saw on the news this morning that Florida is the only state in the Union that hasn't had snowfall this winter. Even Hawaii had snow? What's that about? Confused


There was a day last week when every state but Florida had snow on the ground on the same day. I believe that there are several mountain peaks in Hawaii that get snow somewhat regularly in the winter.
quote:
Originally posted by AZCat:
quote:
Originally posted by mneeley490:
quote:
Originally posted by vinole:

ooh we didn't make it to 70 today because of that front (Monday morning was 69 at dawn). Still no freezes though despite the coldest December on record.

Saw on the news this morning that Florida is the only state in the Union that hasn't had snowfall this winter. Even Hawaii had snow? What's that about? Confused


There was a day last week when every state but Florida had snow on the ground on the same day. I believe that there are several mountain peaks in Hawaii that get snow somewhat regularly in the winter.


We were in Hawaii last week when they had their "winter storm warnings" out for the peak on the Big Island. We were laughing out load that all the locals were complaining about the cold weather, since it was 75 there and it was -25 back home.
quote:
Originally posted by mareff:
quote:
Originally posted by ChillyWino:
-50 with wind chill this morning, got to a high of -6, then supposed to get down to -18 tonight!

Not a nice way to be welcomed back from our trip.


what do you use to heat your house?, what temp do you keep it at? your oil bills must be astronomical?


We keep the house at 72 and the garage at 50. Bill isn't too bad, was about $200 last month. Lots and lots of insulation and good windows help!!
quote:
Originally posted by Vt2It:
quote:
Originally posted by vinole:
My A/C is running right now at 8PM. (it has to hit 77 inside to go on) Razz


Oh my god, how can you stand to live there? My house almost never gets to 77, and I don't need air conditioning. I guess some fools have to live in that flat, ugly, bug infested swamp, although I don't see why.


Funny, we've been invaded by northeasterners trying to get away from your weather. Sounds like my post hit a nerve.
No, let me state this as clear as I can, I HATE HOT WEATHER AND LOVE WINTER! I have had the displeasure of being in Florida several times, and pray that I never have to again, that also goes for most other states in this nation.

We are expecting 6 to 8 inches tonight and I wish it was more. We have two feet on the ground, which is a bit low for this time of year so I hope this storm and the chance for one next week gets us back up near normal. This weekend the forecast calls for highs right around zero with the lows 20 to 30 below, big deal, put on a coat.
You are right, it doesn't make them a fool, but IMO they are, as I can not understand why anybody would live there. Your thinking that it's so great that you turned on your AC in January that you post a thread with a razz graemlin is incomprehensible to me.

I guess that is a good thing about this country, you can live where you like, and there is every type of climate available from which to choose.
quote:
Originally posted by Vt2It:
You are right, it doesn't make them a fool, but IMO they are, as I can not understand why anybody would live there. Your thinking that it's so great that you turned on your AC in January that you post a thread with a razz graemlin is incomprehensible to me.

I guess that is a good thing about this country, you can live where you like, and there is every type of climate available from which to choose.


There are a couple up here that feel the same way as you. When it snows they wish it was more. But there are quite a few more looking to move outside the cold weather areas. Kids already have cabin fever because you can't be outside from Dec-Feb (-15 and -35 with wind chill today). Putting on all my layers to get mail or take out trash is not fun. This is why we are moving back to near where I grew up, Santa Cruz, CA.
quote:
Originally posted by Vt2It:
You are right, it doesn't make them a fool, but IMO they are, as I can not understand why anybody would live there. Your thinking that it's so great that you turned on your AC in January that you post a thread with a razz graemlin is incomprehensible to me.

I guess that is a good thing about this country, you can live where you like, and there is every type of climate available from which to choose.


However, when living for 45+ years in NH, CT, NYS in the snow belt and Quebec, after awhile you become a bit more health concious. In teh early 80's I was working on a project for IBM in Boca, and I hated the flat land, sand, heat and bugs. Was asked to move, and said no.

After a few more bad winters, my bod couln't take it, and had a job offer in PBG, and took it. Did a lot of traveling summer and winter, and was always happy the get back here.

Summer temp here was 80 degrees and had to go to Milwaukee that was 105. Hreat to get back here.

Later had to go to Detroit for a show, Temp here was 85 degrees and when I got off the plane in Detroit it was -70 wind chill, or 155 degrees colder. Again great to get back.

I do miss the finger lakes,and the hills, but not the cold or the snow. Grew upon Seneca Lake and loved on the Erie Canal when in Bushnells Basin.

BTW, buy those snow tires yet? Big Grin
I grew up in Ohio and went to school in Michigan. I took a job in Texas and never went back. I really never liked living in cold weather, and would rather deal with the heat in the summer than the cold winters up north.

We are hoping that at retirement, we can get a second place in the Mountains so that we can ski in the winter when we want and spend summers up there to get away from the heat. Thus having the best of both worlds.
quote:
Originally posted by Bigfoot003:
quote:
Originally posted by mneeley490:
You can keep it.
Someday I will live in a place where it's summer all the time. Cool


Still raining out there?? Razz It keeps up, you'll have to change your member name to Moses of the NW!

We have had precipitation every day since Jan 3rd. Must have skipped Jan 2nd somehow. Roll Eyes
Northerns post of the cold and southerners boast of the warmth. Blah, blah, blah. But everyone knows that Florida's one of the worst places on earth. 4 nice months and the rest is high heat mixed with high humidity. I was once talking to a person in our company's FL office. She said, "Our weather is a lot like yours." Uh, not hardly. I don't think San Diego is a great city, but it's hard to beat our climate.
Come on hit me!! I'm dumb.

But. When I lived and drove in the north once in a while I had snow tires and they were on the rear wheels.

Now with the advent of front wheel drive and 4 wheel drive, What is the requirement for snow tires?

In Canada and other places they expect snow tires, so you put them on the front wheels? When I had snow tires,they were clunky and hard to balance. Even had studs in them when I grew up, now they are illegal.

Do those areas require four snow tires on a four wheel drive?

This come up over a few wines and beers last night. None of us really are familiare with snow for the last 25 years or so.
-25C this morning with a windchill of -35.
DAMN it's cold! Everything creaks on the car and the displays were dim and changed slowly.

It's a good idea not to let your gas levels get below 1/2 at these temps to avoid gas line freeze and water in your fuel.

THIS is the depths of Winter. Fortunately it doesn't last for long.
Went skiing yesterday, -25% at the base of the hill..
Got 4 runs in before lunch and did at least 10 runs after lunch while the kids were in their class.. At a round 2:30 when the sun dipped a little it was like my body tempurature went down 1-2 degres....
It was all i could take a that time...
Nice day thought, there was absolutly no line up on the lifts !!
quote:
Originally posted by KSC02:
-25C this morning with a windchill of -35.
DAMN it's cold! Everything creaks on the car and the displays were dim and changed slowly.

It's a good idea not to let your gas levels get below 1/2 at these temps to avoid gas line freeze and water in your fuel.

THIS is the depths of Winter. Fortunately it doesn't last for long.


Good Lord, that's insane! Eek
quote:
Originally posted by Board-O:
Some years ago, my brother called me late at night from Ottawa, telling me it was -40. When I told my wife, she said, "Yeah, but that's Centigrade." I'm guessing some of you will get the humor in that. Big Grin

Smile (nodding) the point upon which they meet.

It peaked (negatively) at -38 last night. Close enough. I'm not one to split hairs over this. This is normal at this juncture of Winter, however. This should come and go for a week or so and you usually have turned the corner after that.
quote:
Originally posted by KSC02:
quote:
Originally posted by Board-O:
Some years ago, my brother called me late at night from Ottawa, telling me it was -40. When I told my wife, she said, "Yeah, but that's Centigrade." I'm guessing some of you will get the humor in that. Big Grin

Smile (nodding) the point upon which they meet.

It peaked (negatively) at -38 last night. Close enough. I'm not one to split hairs over this. This is normal at this juncture of Winter, however. This should come and go for a week or so and you usually have turned the corner after that.


-42 is the coldest I've seen and close to -65 or -70 with wind chill.

We've had just over 3 weeks without getting above 0.

This is why I'm moving to Santa Cruz. I can always visit the snow.
quote:
Originally posted by Mimik:
Ed, AWD makes a huge difference compared to FWD and especially RWD in the snow but it can still be slippery, especially if your all seasons are more than a couple years old.

On topic, it is currently -22C(-8F) with the windshield factor at -34C(-29F) So how are you doing tonight? Big Grin


We had those temps about mid-week around here. Walking into work in scrubs felt like I was naked. Two weeks ago I was able to log in a little over 12+ miles jogging outside, but last week only one 3 mile jog because of the crappy weather. oh well...

Add Reply

Post
×
×
×
×
Link copied to your clipboard.
×