We recently bought a new grill. It has a rear infrared burner that cooks the rotisserie meat from the rear, not freom underneath, so there are no flare-ups. I don't brine it; it's juicy enough. This is the way I prepare it: I buy a fresh free-range organic duck and make a series of slits through the skin and fat, but not into the meat. I place a sliver of garlic and a green peppercorn into each slit. After placing the duck on the rotisserie skewer, I rub it with evoo and apply my current choice of spices. I roast it with a pan under the duck to catch the fat, rather than let it drip all over the grill. I check for doneness with a meat thermometer when I think the duck is finished.
thanks board-O,
my grill is also new(grill master) but cann't just cook from the rear .will try the pan thing a but will have to cook at a lower temp. an just a little longer i do love duck so if i can master this, it will become a favorite.
thanks.
Smile
Ice, after last night. But we persevere.

Almost time to move the grill into the garage. No, we don't BBQ indoors, but we will roll it into the driveway to cook (shovelling the snow away first of course), then roll it back in after it cools. About 30 seconds later Big Grin
Ribeyes.

Tried a variation of Board-O's recipe. Brushed lightly w/ Olive Oil, and pressed my rub into the meat. Let sit out for about 1 hour prior to grilling.

Turned out good... but I had a lot (and I mean a lot) of flare-ups. Obviously from the olive oil. I don't think I'll use that next time, my rub usually sticks w/out it.
Matt,

Try using grape seed oil. It has a higher flash point and it less likely to cause flare-ups.

Anyway, Saturday I had my Dad over for dinner, so as an appetizer, I made grilled scallops with mango salsa.

It was a good starter, but paled in comparison to the duck confit risotto with fresh black truffles that was the main. Smile

Last night I did two kinds of sausages on the BBQ - lamb and turkey.
If you want an oil with a high burning point, I use peanut oil, but any oil will burn on a hot grill. To prevent flare-ups (Our grill gets to 700 degrees with all burners on high.), I turn one burner off and after searing the steak on both sides, finish it over the off burner.
Again... not on the grill but Delicious, and easy!!! A little variation on the "standard prep."

Broiled Scallops

1 pound fresh sea scallops
1/2 stick butter
2 Tblspn Madeira (approx... I just used a healthy splash)
2 medium cloves of garlic
kosher salt
freshly ground black pepper
paprika
parsley
juice from 1/2 lemon

Preheat the broiler and melt the butter on stove or in microwave.
Finely chop the garlic cloves, and add to butter.
Stir in the Madeira.
Place 2/3 of the sauce on bottom of oven proof glass baking dish.
Place scallops in single layer over sauce.
Season with salt and pepper. Lightly "dash" scallops with paprika and parsley.
Pour remaining sauce over scallops.
Squeeze half of the juice from lemon over scallops.
Broil for 7-8 minutes... but don't over cook, else they'll get tough.
Remove, and plate.
Pour sauce over scallops, and squeeze remaining juice from lemon over scallops.
ENJOY!!!

The took about 20 minutes to prepare and cook, and was better than any restaurant scallops the wife and I have ever had (and I love scallops).
...have been away from the Forums a bit, but not away from the grill!

Balsamic, garlic pork chops the other night - whoa - seriously good chops!

I'm looking forward to next week to get a big (25+lb) turkey on-the-sweat in the grill. This will be year two as host w/ the bird and all and 20 or so people. I'll post the brine/grill/smoke recipe later....

mwag... you reminded me of a scallop recipe on the grill that is awesome!

simple; split good scallops (if their big), wrap with a split piece of prosciutto, spear each w/ a short piece of rosemary w/ the needles taken off at bottom, drizzle w/ olive oil - hit w/ kosher salt/fresh black pepper and flash grill them on a well oiled hi grill for maybe 1-2 minutes per side - just enough to give the prosciutto some marks, and yank 'em off. My guests have fought for these babies!
quote:
Originally posted by 6th Growth:
...have been away from the Forums a bit, but not away from the grill!

Balsamic, garlic pork chops the other night - whoa - seriously good chops!

I'm looking forward to next week to get a big (25+lb) turkey on-the-sweat in the grill. This will be year four as host w/ the bird and all and 20 or so people. I'll post the brine/grill/smoke recipe later....

mwag... you reminded me of a scallop recipe _on the grill _ that is awesome!

simple; split good scallops (if their big), wrap with a split piece of prosciutto, spear each w/ a short piece of rosemary w/ the needles taken off at bottom, drizzle w/ olive oil - hit w/ kosher salt/fresh black pepper and flash grill them on a well oiled hi grill for maybe 1-2 minutes per side - just enough to give the prosciutto some marks, and yank 'em off. My guests have fought for these babies!
*note to self - start quoting yourself more often*

grilled a kosher chicken yesterday - just halved the beast, some salt, pepper, olive oil and lemon juice and threw it on the grill skin side up for 5-7 minutes, then turned, cooked 5 minutes more and covered each half with metal mixing bowls for another 7-10 minutes on lower heat and voila, ze monster is ready. fried hedgehock mushrooms with shallots, garlic, fresh parsley and a squeeze of lemon at the end...everybody, please, meet the sidedish! what can i say.. good times!

i am quite surprised no one said nothing about crabs yet. the season opened on Monday and you guys are still grill this, grill that. where is the craby spirit people!? get some crabs and soon!!
i'm on my third one already. Wink and there are three more trying to claw their way out of the bag on the floor. hey, keep it down fellas, and you just might get out of it alive. Roll Eyes right!

grandma, chill some burgundy for me! 'cause tonight...we're watching Sponge Bob!
dungeness crab season, my friend, dungeness crab! when the season kicks in, the shell is still pretty soft, and there is no need for hammers or mallets. and they are so sweet... so sweet. Smile

anyway, it'a a west coast affair and i don't know if you guys are getting these beauties over there. i don't feel too sorry for you though, you've got lobsters, shrimp and soft shells coming out of your wazoos. Big Grin let me know if you want some, i'll hook you up with my guy and he'll be more than happy to ship'em. cheers!!

p.s. i decided not to go with burgundy tonight. instead, i had a few bottles of '03 cotes de provence chateau barbanau that were smilling at me for quite sometime in my garage fridge. rather good stuff, it went with delicate crab flavours quite well. cheers all! Smile
quote:
Originally posted by PurpleHaze:
The body on that sucker is immense. Anything worth eating in there?

PH

you bet there is!! Smile
and the best part, i can get them for $2.49 a pound, that's about $5-6 per crab. my friend says i'm going to grow claws soon. personally, i'm hoping for antennae. Smile
Last night: Burgers. Plain ground chuck (85/15) fresh out of the grinder. Seasoned lightly, topped with fresh sliced onion, leaf lettuce and a really good tomato (getting reallly hard to find about now). Wheat bun toasted on the grill. YUM. (2002CC 2 Vines Shiraz)

Tonight: One and a half inch boneless pork chops. Grilled hot and fast and rubbed with sea salt, fresh cracked pepper, ground dried garlic and onion powder. Broccoli with hollandaise and scalloped potatoes (eff the low carb regimen for tonight) Washed down with 2002 Capezzanna Conti Contini Sangiovese)

Sapril!!!! How can you be unsure about just one inch???? Smile Wink

PH
ok, now i can talk food again.

no grilling tonight.

i'm about to start shucking wild malpeques and sucking them down with... what else? a good Muscadet, '03 Chateau de la Cantrie. followed by baked sturgeon and perfectly boiled yukon gold potatoes with butter and few sprigs of fresh dill and a '95 Graves Couhains-Lurton.
Last night with friends:

- grilled tiger prawns in carrot and ginger sauce
(1999 Kistler Chardonnay Vine Hill; 1997 Ress Hattenheimer Schutzenhaus Riesling Kabinett)

- grilled tenderloin steaks with Chanterelles and cream sauce, carmelized asparagus, roast Yukon gold potatoes
(1989 Jaboulet Hermitage La Chappelle, 1998 Brusset Gigondas Les Hauts de Montmirail)

- fresh apple pie
(Alvear Sherry Pedro Ximenez Cream of Cream)

The sun's out right now. Last night I used a grill pan. Tonight, we barbeque outside.
Smile

Add Reply

Likes (0)