Skip to main content

I'll start this one off this month...

Last night...

blackened swordfish for myself
lemon-pepper swordfish for the wife
asparagus (tossed with Fuligni olive oil, freshly ground sea salt, and freshly ground black pepper, thrown right on the grates for 5 mins, and drizzeled with a little more Fuligni Olive Oil after I took them off... Wow!!!)
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

simple night on the grill for pre-election night:

aged N.Y. strip steak, rubbed with fresh ground black pepper, garlic powder, onion powder and Seasonall (seasoned salt), plus healthy shots of Worchestshire sauce while on the grill; with grilled corn on the cob and a simple green salad. paired with 2001 Ferrari-Carano Sonoma County cab. quite tasty.
Bone-in ribeyes are a great way to go! Something about gnawing on that bone after all the fancy fork & knife work is done that is very primal...

I love grilling, but after kicking off the "June - What's on the grill" post, I have slowly backed off posting to these threads due to this factor. I'm boring!! I cook the same 15-20 recipies on the grill ALL THE TIME!!! I need recipies for grilled food, and wish that all you passionate wine and food peeps would share more recipies with us. Here's one of my faves....

Crabmeat Stuffed Flank Steak

Marinate Flank Steak overnight in the following:

Red wine, E.V. Olive oil, Soy Sauce, Fresh chopped garlic, Fresh grated ginger, your choice of fresh chopped green herbs & spices..

Take steak from fridge and allow to come to room temperature while picking the shells and any other odds and ends from a pound of fresh backfin crabmeat. Put crab in ceramic bowl and add a handful of 1/4 inch cubes of sharp cheddar cheese. Gently blend cheese into crabmeat by hand and sprinkle a little sherry into the crab/cheese mix to flavor.

Cut as deep a pocket into the flank steak as possible, and gently stuff with the crab/cheese/sherry mixture. Don't overstuff, but make sure it is evenly spread. Sew or toothpick the open end of the steak together to seal.

Cook stuffed steak on hot grill for six minutes per side (for medium rare)and remove from grill. After a short resting period, slice steak on the diagonal and arrange on serving dish.

Serve with chilled romaine salad and crusty bread. Mama Mia!!!

Crab season is coming to an end shortly, so give this a try! Worth the work, I promise you. Big Grin

PH
I have three favorite cuts of steak. My two favorites for grilling are the NY Strip (shell steak) and the ribeye. These are very flavorful and great without much adornment. The strip is located on one side of a Porterhouse (T-bone). The other side is my third favorite steak, the filet mignon. This cut is prized more for its texture than its actual flavor, so it requires a little help. My preferred method of preparation for a filet mignon is toi cut it into 2 inch thick steaks, pan-sear them, then remove to a warming oven while deglazing the pan and preparing a sauce.
PH
As always, your recipe sounds great. I dont' remember if you said you had Weber's Big Book of Grilling. Some great stuff, but two of our favorites... the Kansas City Boneless Rib Roast, and the Grilled Gyros. (For the gyros, we prepared the meat as directed... we went further into the book and got a great tzatziki sauce. So we got pita, lightly grilled it with some olive oil, and stuffed them with the meat, sauce, tomatoes, lettuce and onions... GREAT). If you need the recipes, let me know.

B-OWe've never done ribeyes. We do love NY Strips... but our favorite has to be the T-bone. You're right... strip on one side, FM on the other... how can you go wrong??? And knawing on the bone to get the last bit of meat off??? YUM!!!
PH, as promised...

Kansas City Boneless Rib Roast

10-12 Pound Boneless Rib Roast
1/4 c worcestershire sauce

RUB:
2 tblspn black peppercorns
1 tblspn mustard seeds
3 tblspn paprika
2 tblspn light brown sugar
2 tblspn kosher salt
1 tblspn granulated garlic
1 teaspn cayene (we left this out)

- Grind mustard and peppercorn, and mix w/ remaining rub ingredients.
- Brush/pour worcestershire all over roast, and press ALL the rub in.
- Wrap in plastic wrap, and refridgerate for 8-12 hrs (we did our for 24... which I suggest).
- Let stand at room temp for 30 mins. prior to grilling.
- Grill over indirect heat for 2 hours. (Keep grill temp around 350-375, and don't peak).
- Remove from grill, place foil over it, and let stand for 20 mins.
- Cut and serve. Absolutely the greatest prime rib we've ever had.

Greek Pita Pockets
(We changed this up a bit, and it was perfect. I'll post what we did)

2 pound flank steak (3/4 inch thick)
1 bag pitas
chopped lettuce
crumbled feta cheese
chopped tomatoes

MARINADE:
1/4 c fresh lemon juice
1/4 c E.V. Olive Oil
1/4 c coarsly chopped fesh oregano
4 HUGE cloves garlic
1 tblspn fresh ground black pepper

TZATZIKI SAUCE:
1/2 c plain yogurt
1/4 c chopped seedless cucumber
1 tblspn finely chopped fresh mint
1 tblspn minced red onion
2 teaspn E.V. Olive Oil
1 teaspn granulated garlic
1/2 tspn kosher salt
1/4 teaspn freshly ground black pepper

- mix marinade ingredients, and pour over steak in resealable platic bag. Marinade for 6-8 hours.
- mix sauce ingredients. We did this the night before and let it sit to blend the flavors.
- grill steak over direct medium heat 8-10 mins for medium rare.
- remove and let sit for 5-8 mins.
- while meat is resting, brush pockets with a little olive oil, and lightly grill both sides(lid open) just to get some marks.
- cut steak in thin pieces
- fill each pita as you please, (we did it in the order... meat, lettuce, tomatoes, sauce, cheese), and serve.

DISCLAIMER: These recipes came from Webers Big Book of Grilling, and have been modified slightly. I do not take credit for these recipes.
AES,

I would strongly urge you two to try the rib roast when you have some company over. We had our families over and I made this. At first, they were speechless (just moans, and grunts). Then the... "This is wonderful", "This is the best steak I've ever had", etc. starting coming. The flavor is just outstanding... my mouth is watering just thinking about it.

W/ the gyro's... the tzatziki sauce was outstanding. It tasted just like it did on our honeymoon. We couldn't believe it. Real Greek gyro's are made w/ pork and a varity of spices. But this recipe tasted pretty darn good.
Purple Haze I use a lot of foil when i'm working on the grill. so simple, couple large purple eggplants, slice them length wise then cut into small cubes, put the cubes in the foil, do the same with some sweet onion , vidalia's if you can get them. Pour some oyster sauce in the foil, wrap it up so that it's a pocket throw it on the grill for 20 minutes. beautiful side dish. also if you like sweet potato wrap one up in foil and forget it for an hour , when a knife slids through it's done.
not me. i'm roasting quials today - yum!

here's the game plan:

stuff 5-6 macadamias inside the quail with few sage leaves and some bacon, and truss. drizzle olive oil over and season. roast at high temperature basting with white wine every 5 minutes. once done, keep warm. quails cook fast, so watch it.

remove excess fat from roasting pan and deglaze with wine or verjus. season and reserve.

in a pan, warm some olive oil and butter and add thinky sliced red cabbage, then add some white wine vinegar sugar and extra macadamias. stir untill cooked, and adjust seasoning.

make some killer mash potatoes and assemble. and don't forget to pour sauce over the mash. cheers!

i'll be drinking a '98 Potel savigny-les-beaune with it.
For the grill, I take some tepid melted butter and apply it to both sides of the steak and sprinkle liberally with salt and spices. At least half the time I use Montreal Steak Seasoning. This can be done in advance. Take it out of the refrigerator 2- 2 1/2 hours before grilling. Get the grill as hot as possible and grill it to your desired degree of doneness.
Not on the grill...
… but was very tasty.

We got 2 red (and I mean beautiful dark red) tuna steaks this past weekend, so I decided to try something I had at a restaurant once. I should note, after work the Farmers Market was open at the WTC PATH stop, so I picked up a bag of fresh mixed greens... and they worked great.

Seared Tuna over mixed field greens w/ a red wine reduction

2 tuna steaks (about 1 inch thick)
½ cup red wine
2 shallot “cloves”
2 handfuls of mixed field greens
sea salt
freshly ground black pepper
EV Olive Oil
Butter

*Liberally* season tuna steaks w/ sea salt and freshly ground black pepper.

Preheat EV Olive Oil in a pan big enough for the two steaks (do not use a non-stick pan... you'll see why). Sear steaks on high for approx. 3 mins. per side (depending on the thickness and how you like your steaks). Take them off, and let stand to redistribute the juices. Next, add chopped shallots to the pan and saute for a few seconds. Deglaze the pan with red wine. Using a wooden spoon, scrape up the tuna bits and shallots that are stuck to the pan. Let the wine reduce by at least half. Take pan off the heat, and add a small amount of butter to "thicken" the sauce. Adjust seasoning to taste (you can even add freshy parsley, or herb).

Place a pile of field greens on the plate. With a sharp (and I mean SHARP) knife, cut the tuna on an angle. (My Henkles weren’t sharp enough, so they kinda' "ripped" through the steaks). Place the tuna over the greens, and pour red wine reduction over.

Tasted great, and really quick.
We recently bought a new grill. It has a rear infrared burner that cooks the rotisserie meat from the rear, not freom underneath, so there are no flare-ups. I don't brine it; it's juicy enough. This is the way I prepare it: I buy a fresh free-range organic duck and make a series of slits through the skin and fat, but not into the meat. I place a sliver of garlic and a green peppercorn into each slit. After placing the duck on the rotisserie skewer, I rub it with evoo and apply my current choice of spices. I roast it with a pan under the duck to catch the fat, rather than let it drip all over the grill. I check for doneness with a meat thermometer when I think the duck is finished.
Matt,

Try using grape seed oil. It has a higher flash point and it less likely to cause flare-ups.

Anyway, Saturday I had my Dad over for dinner, so as an appetizer, I made grilled scallops with mango salsa.

It was a good starter, but paled in comparison to the duck confit risotto with fresh black truffles that was the main. Smile

Last night I did two kinds of sausages on the BBQ - lamb and turkey.
Again... not on the grill but Delicious, and easy!!! A little variation on the "standard prep."

Broiled Scallops

1 pound fresh sea scallops
1/2 stick butter
2 Tblspn Madeira (approx... I just used a healthy splash)
2 medium cloves of garlic
kosher salt
freshly ground black pepper
paprika
parsley
juice from 1/2 lemon

Preheat the broiler and melt the butter on stove or in microwave.
Finely chop the garlic cloves, and add to butter.
Stir in the Madeira.
Place 2/3 of the sauce on bottom of oven proof glass baking dish.
Place scallops in single layer over sauce.
Season with salt and pepper. Lightly "dash" scallops with paprika and parsley.
Pour remaining sauce over scallops.
Squeeze half of the juice from lemon over scallops.
Broil for 7-8 minutes... but don't over cook, else they'll get tough.
Remove, and plate.
Pour sauce over scallops, and squeeze remaining juice from lemon over scallops.
ENJOY!!!

The took about 20 minutes to prepare and cook, and was better than any restaurant scallops the wife and I have ever had (and I love scallops).
...have been away from the Forums a bit, but not away from the grill!

Balsamic, garlic pork chops the other night - whoa - seriously good chops!

I'm looking forward to next week to get a big (25+lb) turkey on-the-sweat in the grill. This will be year two as host w/ the bird and all and 20 or so people. I'll post the brine/grill/smoke recipe later....

mwag... you reminded me of a scallop recipe on the grill that is awesome!

simple; split good scallops (if their big), wrap with a split piece of prosciutto, spear each w/ a short piece of rosemary w/ the needles taken off at bottom, drizzle w/ olive oil - hit w/ kosher salt/fresh black pepper and flash grill them on a well oiled hi grill for maybe 1-2 minutes per side - just enough to give the prosciutto some marks, and yank 'em off. My guests have fought for these babies!
quote:
Originally posted by 6th Growth:
...have been away from the Forums a bit, but not away from the grill!

Balsamic, garlic pork chops the other night - whoa - seriously good chops!

I'm looking forward to next week to get a big (25+lb) turkey on-the-sweat in the grill. This will be year four as host w/ the bird and all and 20 or so people. I'll post the brine/grill/smoke recipe later....

mwag... you reminded me of a scallop recipe _on the grill _ that is awesome!

simple; split good scallops (if their big), wrap with a split piece of prosciutto, spear each w/ a short piece of rosemary w/ the needles taken off at bottom, drizzle w/ olive oil - hit w/ kosher salt/fresh black pepper and flash grill them on a well oiled hi grill for maybe 1-2 minutes per side - just enough to give the prosciutto some marks, and yank 'em off. My guests have fought for these babies!
*note to self - start quoting yourself more often*

grilled a kosher chicken yesterday - just halved the beast, some salt, pepper, olive oil and lemon juice and threw it on the grill skin side up for 5-7 minutes, then turned, cooked 5 minutes more and covered each half with metal mixing bowls for another 7-10 minutes on lower heat and voila, ze monster is ready. fried hedgehock mushrooms with shallots, garlic, fresh parsley and a squeeze of lemon at the end...everybody, please, meet the sidedish! what can i say.. good times!

i am quite surprised no one said nothing about crabs yet. the season opened on Monday and you guys are still grill this, grill that. where is the craby spirit people!? get some crabs and soon!!
i'm on my third one already. Wink and there are three more trying to claw their way out of the bag on the floor. hey, keep it down fellas, and you just might get out of it alive. Roll Eyes right!

grandma, chill some burgundy for me! 'cause tonight...we're watching Sponge Bob!
dungeness crab season, my friend, dungeness crab! when the season kicks in, the shell is still pretty soft, and there is no need for hammers or mallets. and they are so sweet... so sweet. Smile

anyway, it'a a west coast affair and i don't know if you guys are getting these beauties over there. i don't feel too sorry for you though, you've got lobsters, shrimp and soft shells coming out of your wazoos. Big Grin let me know if you want some, i'll hook you up with my guy and he'll be more than happy to ship'em. cheers!!

p.s. i decided not to go with burgundy tonight. instead, i had a few bottles of '03 cotes de provence chateau barbanau that were smilling at me for quite sometime in my garage fridge. rather good stuff, it went with delicate crab flavours quite well. cheers all! Smile
Last night: Burgers. Plain ground chuck (85/15) fresh out of the grinder. Seasoned lightly, topped with fresh sliced onion, leaf lettuce and a really good tomato (getting reallly hard to find about now). Wheat bun toasted on the grill. YUM. (2002CC 2 Vines Shiraz)

Tonight: One and a half inch boneless pork chops. Grilled hot and fast and rubbed with sea salt, fresh cracked pepper, ground dried garlic and onion powder. Broccoli with hollandaise and scalloped potatoes (eff the low carb regimen for tonight) Washed down with 2002 Capezzanna Conti Contini Sangiovese)

Sapril!!!! How can you be unsure about just one inch???? Smile Wink

PH
Last night with friends:

- grilled tiger prawns in carrot and ginger sauce
(1999 Kistler Chardonnay Vine Hill; 1997 Ress Hattenheimer Schutzenhaus Riesling Kabinett)

- grilled tenderloin steaks with Chanterelles and cream sauce, carmelized asparagus, roast Yukon gold potatoes
(1989 Jaboulet Hermitage La Chappelle, 1998 Brusset Gigondas Les Hauts de Montmirail)

- fresh apple pie
(Alvear Sherry Pedro Ximenez Cream of Cream)

The sun's out right now. Last night I used a grill pan. Tonight, we barbeque outside.
Smile

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.