It's been a while...what's new?

Hi, Guys and Gals.  I took a hiatus mostly due to my failure to get used to the new format.  Does it get easier?  What's new around here?  Any new nuggets of wisdom from, say, W&FE or Pianist?  Hope you all are well.  Cheers!

Original Post

Welcome back, hope you can add to the discussions.  It is definitely quieter since the new format.  If you want to bitch about Trump, there is the Say Something Completely Random posts, which aren't so random anymore.  Otherwise, pick a topic and comment.  Haven't seen much from WFE or Pianist recently.

Please add to the comments, much is needed.  Something non-political is preferred.  

Cheers.

napacat posted:

Not much...same ole douchebags think they run the place and cannot tolerate another opinion.   The format is bad but the douchebags are worse and they know who they are.

Pretentious and arrogant lot!  That’s all.

Look in the mirror and you will find one

flwino posted:
napacat posted:

Not much...same ole douchebags think they run the place and cannot tolerate another opinion.   The format is bad but the douchebags are worse and they know who they are.

Pretentious and arrogant lot!  That’s all.

Look in the mirror and you will find one

Well done...still in 5th grade?

billhike posted:
sunnylea57 posted:

W&FE: Last post was Oct 18. Last log-in was Dec 23.

Pianist: Last post was Nov 18. Last log-in was Nov 19.

And I thought I was the king of free time!

Took less than a minute. The "search" function here does work for some things. You can search by member name and see their last log-in date and all of their posts.

People complain about user drop-off. Have you actually read how most of the board treats newcomers like subordinates with insults, group bullying etc, most of the time? There are fun threads and not too much "filler" but it's no wonder people leave this place for a more friendly forum. The political differences are maybe a higher factor in the drop in user participation.

winoca posted:

People complain about user drop-off. Have you actually read how most of the board treats newcomers like subordinates with insults, group bullying etc, most of the time? There are fun threads and not too much "filler" but it's no wonder people leave this place for a more friendly forum. The political differences are maybe a higher factor in the drop in user participation.

Agree 100%

thistlintom posted:
winoca posted:

Agree 100%

I disagree.  In the last 3 months, there have been a handful or so posts/threads started by fairly new forumites -  1964 Cristal, Would you take advantage of winemaking service, Mystery Wine Cellar, Best Wines of the Left Bank, High Value General List Rhone, 2018 Top 100 Wines - in the Wine Conversations.   Where are the snarky comments?

Perhaps you are looking at the Buying and Selling thread where, I think rightfully so, seasoned forumites will provide helpful comments along with some comedy as to why the OP's asking amount is ridiculous.

doubled posted:
thistlintom posted:
winoca posted:

Agree 100%

I disagree.  In the last 3 months, there have been a handful or so posts/threads started by fairly new forumites -  1964 Cristal, Would you take advantage of winemaking service, Mystery Wine Cellar, Best Wines of the Left Bank, High Value General List Rhone, 2018 Top 100 Wines - in the Wine Conversations.   Where are the snarky comments?

Perhaps you are looking at the Buying and Selling thread where, I think rightfully so, seasoned forumites will provide helpful comments along with some comedy as to why the OP's asking amount is ridiculous.

You may disagree...but you would be wrong.  WINOCA has it correct.  There is a group of people here (maybe because they have been here longer) think this is their forum and conduct themsleves in a manor that is very righteous and controlling.  Just a bunch of intolerant people.  I would have to guess (for the most part), they have no control in their jobs or at home and like to push their weight around here where they think they are important.  

It's kind of funny.  I'd say that while the Democrats held the WH the political commentary tilted to the right, and while the Donald (can't say Republican's, since I don't see him as a Republican) has held the WH there has been a distinct tilt to the left in the commentary.

Maybe this board is simply contrarian in nature, opposing "the Man"..

doubled posted:

You, Napacat, aren’t the reason people are posting less.  I don’t think you’d be missed.

I didn't intend to generalize the forum members as a whole and I agree partially with you and also with napacat (well, he agreed with me so.. ) . As someone who is mostly on the sidelines and less frequent I see there's definitely a sense of exclusivity but I think it's also forum members who know each other personally looking out for one another, and I'm totally excluding the buying/selling forum. I'm sure you can understand how that can be taken in by a newcomer who might for example, post  a common or "ws forum stupid" question and get told to search the archives, insulted etc. It's a mixed bag with newcomers but it seems more leave than stay because of the tone of the responses when they first post. I'm pretty sure when I began posting here, Board-o was a well respected member, and he got thrown into the penalty box by members who disagreed/loathed his politics after Trump got elected. Why would he or those new comers stick around? Would you?

I agree that there is a certain tone about this forum that's different from CellarTracker for example but not much different from Berserkers from what I understand.  The difference in Berserkers is that there are more ITB than who is posting here.  However, if WS Editors were to post more here, it would definitely reinvigorate the forums.  But the slow death would continue.   Forumites go through various life cycles where wine takes a back seat.  You need the next generation of wine drinkers to replace the old ones, but they may use other social media outlets to pursue the hobby.  I don't think the Say Something Random thread is the reason why new members don't stick around.

doubled posted:

I agree that there is a certain tone about this forum that's different from CellarTracker for example but not much different from Berserkers from what I understand.  The difference in Berserkers is that there are more ITB than who is posting here.  However, if WS Editors were to post more here, it would definitely reinvigorate the forums.  But the slow death would continue.   Forumites go through various life cycles where wine takes a back seat.  You need the next generation of wine drinkers to replace the old ones, but they may use other social media outlets to pursue the hobby.  I don't think the Say Something Random thread is the reason why new members don't stick around.

I think I agree with you DD. The main thing about the Berserkers board (where I am usually a lurker, occasionally a poster) is that it's very engaging when a TN is in discussion, and the critic themselves interject with some background info; or when a vineyard is in discussion and the winemaker can offer insight as to why the vineyard produces wines that taste like they do. This is invaluable and I think is probably a big reason why these forums are dying (new layout aside).

I've learned more from the WS forums over the years than from any other media, there is a wealth of knowledge from a majority of the posters here that seemed unmatched to me for a while, and the people here have, for the most part, been nothing but welcoming and genuine. I've made a great deal of friends as well, and we get together fairly often to drink and eat and enjoy each others company. It's a little sad to see the forums head in this direction.

But as you say, hobbies ebb and flow, some exit, some enter, but it seems the latter can't keep up.

+1 on what ABryce said.  I'm not a fan of the Berserkers format but find the discussion over there much more interesting from a 'wine' point of view.  The bickering and negativity here simply gets tiresome, while valuable discussion of wine related things seems to be on the decline.   I don't like the new format but would be more active here if the activity were more appealing.  Maybe this forum is simply something that has had it's day.

I think the biggest difference between beserkers and here (outside of more people and vibrancy) is that TN's are on the main board and a post for each "interesting" wine that gets discussed. Here it's just "what are you drinking" and the response might be '67 D' yquem and a few DRCs and the longest reply might be "nice". 

I have posted on three boards regularly: this, CellarTracker, and WineBerserkers.  I don't see any more negativity here than on WB.  I truly do think that CT is the most civil place by a long shot.  The traffic isn't as significant, but there really aren't any snarky posters.

It's too bad Board-O is gone, and some other long-time posters.  Perhaps that'll encourage new posters, and perhaps not.

I'm....trying...to....adjust to the new format.  Ugh.

Add Reply

Likes (0)