A few years ago I acquired a 1974 St Henri and 1974 Eileen Hardy MacLaren Vale Cab-Sav for my sister's 30th Birthday last year. I managed to put them in a very safe corner of my cellar, so safe that I forgot about them. Well since her 30th birthday has been and gone and she's got married in the meantime I'll be opening these bottles tomorrow for MY birthday.

TNs to follow.
Original Post
I agree with Latour...invite her over for dinner and pop 'em open.

My cellar's not big enough to lose anything, either, but I've got a 42-bottle unit in my parents' basement (I didn't want to move it again), and I can't wait to pull something out at Christmas! Lucky for me, they don't really drink wine so I know it's safe there. Wink
Both wines decanted for sediment and served immediately.

1974 Penfolds St henri Shiraz
A solid deep red colour with significant bricking. Initial impression is of sweet fruit (plums), cedar, a touch of leather, and some cocoanut/vanilla touches. Tannins and acids in perfect balance.
Wine held together for about 20 minutes in the glass after pouring, but started to fade thereafter. Moderate finish.
A very impressive wine, but one that is obviously in its dotage.
92 points.

1974 Hardys Eileen Hardy Cabernet Sauvignon
(NB The Flagship Eileen Hardy has been a shiraz since 1990, Hardy's top Cab-Sav is no "Thomas Hardy")
Needed about 5 minutes in the glass to come together. Faint hints of cherries and blackberries, chocolate, and spice box. Obvious tannins and acids, to the degree that made me wonder if this wine was ever in balance. Short finish.
A wine that is well past its best but still holding itself together.
87 points.
Pauly Not so many people get to taste wines from their birth year, but I believe Board-O did have a 1934 Romanee Conti! Eek

So, what did she say when you showed her two wines from her year of birth? Was she surprised, flattered, overjoyed, at your sensitivity and celebration of her 30th birthday? Did you let her taste first? etc.
Be more descriptive...

Also, what did she serve for dinner...
quote:
Originally posted by latour67:
Pauly Not so many people get to taste wines from their birth year, but I believe Board-O did have a 1934 Romanee Conti! Eek

So, what did she say when you showed her two wines from her year of birth? Was she surprised, flattered, overjoyed, at your sensitivity and celebration of her 30th birthday? Did you let her taste first? etc.
Be more descriptive...

Also, what did she serve for dinner...


Actually I remember now why I forgot them for her 30th, I was in France at the time. When I came back she and her fiance left for a 5 week holiday in China, so by the time she got back it was something like 8 weeks after her birthday, and the wine had slipped my mind. More unforgiveable is that when my sister got married earlier this year I forgot about the bottles then.

My sister was very impressed, especially with 2 different bottles from her birth year. She's a wine drinker, but not a collector, but she does appreciate the good stuff when I feed it to her. I tasted first on the basis that I decanted the wine and was not confident that both bottles would still be in good shape (I honestly thought I'd be donating at least one of the bottles to the sink because 1974 wasn't the best of years in SA). First toast was "happy 30th" and second toast was "congratulations on getting married".

Dinner was barbequed fishcakes and chicken kebabs, not an ideal food match, but since it was a case of "oops I forgot about these, and we'd better drink them fast" no one minded. Both wines were significantly better with food, and I suspect a heavier red meat dish that I ordinarily would have paired with them might have been too powerful. Dessert was a chocalate cake with rum, and the Eileen Hardy made a surprisingly good match because of its residual sweetness and chocolate tones.
Resurrecting a thread from 12 1/2 years ago. Way before my time here.

Yesterday I started to do a bit of a reorg in the cellar and within the first 15 minutes I discovered two bottles I thought were long gone:

1992 Dominus (I thought I drank the last one a few months ago)
1999 Heitz Cab Sauv Martha's Vineyard

I might need to open one tonight for the Raptors game followed by the Oscars.

(I'm also not sure why this was started in the Tasting Notes section, but I can't relocate the thread.)
quote:
Originally posted by sunnylea57:
1992 Dominus (I thought I drank the last one a few months ago)
1999 Heitz Cab Sauv Martha's Vineyard

I might need to open one tonight for the Raptors game followed by the Oscars.


If you're taking votes, I'd selfishly say go for the Heitz since I don't own any '92 Dominus but do have a lone '99 Martha's tucked away in the cellar and would appreciate a current data point from someone I can trust.
quote:
Originally posted by AllRed:
quote:
Originally posted by sunnylea57:
1992 Dominus (I thought I drank the last one a few months ago)
1999 Heitz Cab Sauv Martha's Vineyard

I might need to open one tonight for the Raptors game followed by the Oscars.


If you're taking votes, I'd selfishly say go for the Heitz since I don't own any '92 Dominus but do have a lone '99 Martha's tucked away in the cellar and would appreciate a current data point from someone I can trust.

Decided to save them both for another time, AllRed, but I'll let you know the outcome when I do open the Heitz. I went cheap and cheerful instead last night.

Add Reply

Likes (0)
×
×
×
×