Skip to main content

I am going to add a refrigerated rack to the cellar that I intend to keep the best of the best of the collection in.

There is no point in buying 100+ dollar bottles of wine and then skimping on anything so if it is necessary I don't mind forking out the extra dough for the eurocave. The thing is, I will be buying 2 eurocave 260's at $2,400 a piece that will offer basically the same capacity as a single vk500 that I can get for $1,300.

Are 2 eurocaves units for 4 times the price really 4 times better than a single VK500? I would rather spend the 3 grand difference on some spetacular bottles to add to the collection.
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

I own two Eurocaves (a 170 and a 260) and a VK 500. Based on my experience so far with the VK, I'd recommend saving the money you'd spend on the Eurocaves and spending it on wine.

I have only had the VK for 2 years or so, so really can't comment on it's longevity. Also, it isn't the most beautiful piece of furniture so I would only recommend one to someone who plans on using it in an out of the way location in the house.

PH
We have a Eurocave 260 and a VK 500 as well. Also 2 years old and I would agree completely with PH. We find both keep perfect temp and the VK is even better on perfect humidity. That could be due to location in the house. The shelving is better on the Eurocave (we bought all rolling), so it is better for daily in and out. If you get the VK, I rec labeling the shelves with numbers and left or right. We then recorded those numbers in the Cellar Tracker notes on the bottles stored there. Makes it easier to find things later
quote:
Originally posted by PurpleHaze:
I own two Eurocaves (a 170 and a 260) and a VK 500. Based on my experience so far with the VK, I'd recommend saving the money you'd spend on the Eurocaves and spending it on wine.

I have only had the VK for 2 years or so, so really can't comment on it's longevity. Also, it isn't the most beautiful piece of furniture so I would only recommend one to someone who plans on using it in an out of the way location in the house.

PH

PH,
How often does the VK500 run? I purchased another brand from Wine Enthusiast, for my wife's condo in Portland, OR (which is pretty cool area) and it drives me batty because it runs for ten minutes, shuts off for 2 minutes, and then runs again. I have been shutting it off during the winter, because it is always running. thinking about adding a VK at our place in SFO. Insight would be appreciated.
quote:
Originally posted by tpb:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by PurpleHaze:
How often does the VK500 run?

Good question, and an aspect of this cellar I should have noted in my earlier post. It does run more frequently than the Eurocave, and is also a bit more noisy. I'd guess that it kicks in 4-5 times an hour? That being said, my VK is in my kitchen/breakfast nook since the MFer is too big to move downstairs without diassembling the unit. Although I can hear it run, it's not obnoxious.

PH
I have 2 VK's. One is 5 years old and the other less than a year. The new one is considerably quieter than the older one as they have a better cooling unit.

As to the frequency of cycling, you should note that the closer it is to capacity, the less it will come on. The liquid mass of a full cellar tends to stabilize the temperature much better.
quote:
Originally posted by StarV100:
I have 2 VK's. One is 5 years old and the other less than a year. The new one is considerably quieter than the older one as they have a better cooling unit.

As to the frequency of cycling, you should note that the closer it is to capacity, the less it will come on. The liquid mass of a full cellar tends to stabilize the temperature much better.

Thanks StarV100 for the second data point. I have a BYO220 from Wine Enthusiast, which is one of these units that you put together. Its full to capacity and still runs way more than I expected. This is why I'm looking for a different unit. Thanks for the input.
quote:

I have a VK500 and its 5+ years old now. It is full to capacity yet I think she still runs quite a bit. It's in my basement so I don't always hear it, but most times when I go by the unit it is running. And my unit has a hard time staying below 60 degrees. Is this the case with yours?
quote:
Originally posted by PurpleHaze:
No temperature control problems here, but my unit is much newer than yours. Several posters here have had problems with older VKs collecting lint or dust on the air intake at the back of the unit which clogs it up. They recommend frequent (monthly?) vacuuming of this area to prevent problems. You might want to check this.

PH

yeah, I am constantly on this. I have a can of air that I blow the grills with frequently. Better than vacummng IMO. What is the temp of your unit and I assume you have 1 or 2 thermometers placed in different parts of the unit?
quote:
Originally posted by theweb:
quote:

I have a VK500 and its 5+ years old now. It is full to capacity yet I think she still runs quite a bit. It's in my basement so I don't always hear it, but most times when I go by the unit it is running. And my unit has a hard time staying below 60 degrees. Is this the case with yours?

I agree that the older unit still comes on a fair bit, but it's only about half full. The new unit is completely full and comes on much less. It's also so much quieter that I don't notice it nearly as much.

Also, I am having trouble keeping either of them at 57 deg. They both seem to have settled at around 59 deg but as long as the temperature remains constant 24 X 365, that doesn't really bother me. Back vents are kept clean.
quote:

Also, I am having trouble keeping either of them at 57 deg. They both seem to have settled at around 59 deg but as long as the temperature remains constant 24 X 365, that doesn't really bother me. Back vents are kept clean.

Correction: The new unit, which is full, is keeping the temperature at a nice 57 deg. I just checked it out.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.