quote:
Also, ... keep in mind every man has to die (Dire Straits/Mark Knopfler song/lyrics come to my mind) and I would rather die when I am 84 years old of a tired liver and having spent over sixty years of that life enjoying great wine (accompanied with great music--->somehow music sounds better with wine and vice versa... funny how that is...) than living to be 100 and not having any enjoyment in life.

I'll drink to that!
Obviously 1 bottle of wine a day is too much, but if no one keeps count, then who's counting? Alcohol intake is associated with a U shape curve for longevity. Too little means too little, too much means too much... but as long as you're truly living a happy life does it really matter?
Life is short + Wine is made to be drank = 1 bottle a day is fine.

I think that part of the magic of wine and how it is "healthy" is it's effect on your stress level for the day and how it can naturally lower that. THAT is good for your heart. If you are sitting around stressing about if you should have had that last glass after an already stresssfull day at work... THAT is not healthy.
quote:
Originally posted by Ogopogo DUDE:
quote:
Originally posted by woodchuck:
quote:
Originally posted by Ogopogo DUDE:
So 365 days X 50 = $18,250 per year. I have some employees that work for me that this figure is almost their YEARLY income before taxation.

Give them a raise. Then you won't feel so bad.

.... trust me, i do not feel bad nor sorry for any of my employees ... I am the one that spent ten years of university to get where i am today.

yeah and they spent years of their lives to help make you rich. Razz
I think that the better question is: "Why do you drink a bottle of wine each day?"

Do you truly enjoy and appreciate it if you drink it each day? If so, then go for it.

However, if the reason for drinking it daily is to intoxicate yourself, then you have reason for concern.

Any medicinal benefits quickly dissolve if the comsumption is excessive - IMO.

There are very few interests in my life that even come close to the passion that I have for wine, but I don't drink it every day. For me, it is one of Life's greatest treasures that is enjoyed to its fullest with good food, friends, and family. It would lose much of its allure if I consumed it daily.
Another very important variable is body mass. A healthy 220 lb man NEEDS to drink nearly twice as much wine as a 110 lb woman to get similar benefits. Apart from the alcohol, red wines add polyphenols which have many additional health benefits. So, I am 6'2" and 230, and drink two 6-8 oz glasses per night. I do away with a bottle every other day. The measure of too much is by blood alcohol level. Generally it's a good idea to let your doctor know how much you drink (he drinks more than me) and stay on top of you liver function.
Exactly. How can anyone say a bottle is too much or not without knowing who is consuming it? A male 6'5" and in decent physical condition is very different from a female 5'2" who is in average or mediocre condition. And whether the weight is muscle or fat also matters.

All of the studies I have seen show that men tend to get more benefit from alcohol, in moderation. My wife and I drink a bottle a day between us - she'll have a glass or two and I have the rest. I'm approximately twice her size and male, so that's the correct rationing, or so I tell her.

And it doesn't have to be a wine experience every night either. You just open it with dinner.

And finally, it also depends on what else you drink, if anything. I don't drink harder alcohol and almost never drink beer, which people drink while sitting in front of the TV. So if you're smaller, sedentary, and drink alcohol in various forms, a bottle of wine a day is a very different experience from that of someone else.
I'm a bit worried that folks are jumping on the "wine will prolong your life" bandwagon, and neglecting other healthy things. I've read the research, and while it is very encouraging for MODERATE wine drinkers, it should (as GregT and others point out) not be seen as a substitute for healthy lifestyle. Things like eating a healthy, fruit/vegetable rich diet, regular vigorous exercise, and not smoking will outweigh the benefits of a glass or three of wine each day.

Me, I do all those things above, and have cut my wine consumption down from approx five-six bottles a week, to three. I'm feeling better, and my checkbook is fatter.
My wife and I will sometimes drink a bottle over a day, especially during the weekends (though, I usually drink 5/8 to her 3/8). I do not find this excessive, though we do this only 3 days a week on average.

I think if you are drinking a bottle a day alone, you may be bordering on having a problem. But, hey, who am I to judge?

Funny you should mention the checkbook though. I just got done paying for an online order as my wife was checking the account balance on her laptop. She looked at me and said, "Hey, I thought we were done this month." I said man that was quick to clear and assured her I was transferring the money into the account to cover it. I could only imagine how things would be if we drank 2-3 times as much wine as we do, but then we may be so drunk we wouldn't realize it.
My wife and i share about three bottles a week at about a 20% (wife) - 80% (Me) ratio. Lately I've felt thats a little more than I'd like to be drinking and so I've committed to bringing that down to two bottles a week.

This also takes into consideration that I tend to have a few 1/4 glass samples through the week when on buying trips.
there is no definitive answer.

you'll get a range of responses from physicians from 'thats ok', 'thats probably ok, but you may want to cut back a little', 'thats too much you should cut back'.

as with all is this healthy/excessive, the bigger factor is the length of time the behavior is conducted. Even extreme consumption over the short term is unlikely to have long term effects (think weekends in college), but what seems like 'moderate' use over many years can be very detrimental.

you'll hear lots of stories about the contrary examples (so and so drinks a bottle a day and lived to be 95), but those are the exceptions, the dead aren't here to tell you it doesnt always work out for the best. (and at their funerals no one was shocked they died so early, "the guy drank like a fish, but bless his heart he was the funniest SOB at the 19th hole").
quote:
Originally posted by finz:
there is no definitive answer.

you'll get a range of responses from physicians from 'thats ok', 'thats probably ok, but you may want to cut back a little', 'thats too much you should cut back'.

as with all is this healthy/excessive, the bigger factor is the length of time the behavior is conducted. Even extreme consumption over the short term is unlikely to have long term effects (think weekends in college), but what seems like 'moderate' use over many years can be very detrimental.

you'll hear lots of stories about the contrary examples (so and so drinks a bottle a day and lived to be 95), but those are the exceptions, the dead aren't here to tell you it doesnt always work out for the best. (and at their funerals no one was shocked they died so early, "the guy drank like a fish, but bless his heart he was the funniest SOB at the 19th hole").

iof you like to pay a higher insurance premium the answer is no.
quote:
Originally posted by Omnistuff:
I drink a 750ml bottle of red wine rated at 8% alcohol per evening. Is this too much for good health?

I'd like a definitive answer if there is one. Thanks.

I think I'd get tired of that much Riesling.
quote:
Originally posted by BRR:
quote:
Originally posted by Omnistuff:
I drink a 750ml bottle of red wine rated at 8% alcohol per evening. Is this too much for good health?

I'd like a definitive answer if there is one. Thanks.

I think I'd get tired of that much Riesling.

Hah. Especially Red Riesling! Ack

PH
quote:
Originally posted by spo:
I told my doctor I drink a 1/2 bottle of wine 2-3 times a week at most. He told me it was too much at one time and he would rather I drink a glass or two everyday. I was surprised.

so 1.5 glasses/day * 7 days/week = 10.5 glasses a week (ok)
6 glasses/bottle * 1/2 bottle/time * 3 times/week = 9 glasses/week (less ok?)

and he thinks he was making a recomendation that would reduce your intake?
quote:
Originally posted by DoktaP:
I told my doctor I was having to much wine, women and song: so, he told me to give up singing! Big Grin

That reminds me of a great line in "Never Say Never Again":

M: Too many free radicals. That's your problem.

James Bond: "Free radicals," sir?

M: Yes. They're toxins that destroy the body and the brain, caused by eating too much red meat and white bread and too many dry martinis!

James Bond: Then I shall cut out the white bread, sir.
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by spo:
I told my doctor I drink a 1/2 bottle of wine 2-3 times a week at most. He told me it was too much at one time and he would rather I drink a glass or two everyday. I was surprised.

so 1.5 glasses/day * 7 days/week = 10.5 glasses a week (ok)
6 glasses/bottle * 1/2 bottle/time * 3 times/week = 9 glasses/week (less ok?)

and he thinks he was making a recomendation that would reduce your intake?

No, he seemed to think too much at one time with an overall lower consumption was worse than steady moderation but more wine overall.
quote:
Originally posted by davec:
quote:
6 glasses/bottle * 1/2 bottle/time * 3 times/week = 9 glasses/week

6 glasses/bottle? Who's pouring, Harlan at the Wine Experience Grand tasting? We don't have glasses that small.

He was refering to servings. A bottle of wine will have 6-8 servings based on amount of alcohol.

Puleeeze! The conversation gives the impression that the bottle of wine is consumed all at once, sending your liver into overdrive. Wine is to be savored, a delicious addition to a healthy and enjoying meal. It's metabolized over time with the other foods.

There are other factors involved that may lead to the diseases blamed on the consumption of alcohol in general, but that is not why we're on a Wine Spectator forum.

"Puleeeze! The conversation gives the impression that the bottle of wine is consumed all at once, sending your liver into overdrive. Wine is to be savored, a delicious addition to a healthy and enjoying meal. It's metabolized over time with the other foods."

Did you happen to notice that the last post in this thread was seven years ago? And it was petering out for a few years before that. All the people who drank so much wine are all passed out somewhere and the room is empty!

Add Reply

Likes (0)