Often times I’ll get asked “What are you celebrating tonight?” and I often say “The fact that I’m still alive to enjoy champagne.” Is it so crazy that I just like to drink some champagne every couple of nights? I’m in my mid twenties, working two jobs, and one of the main pleasures I get in life is coming home to a nice, cold, glass of champagne. Just for the hell of it. Is that so?

Original Post

DD, I have no idea. But this forum has seen quite a few people sign up in the past year and immediately post something that they've copied verbatim either from another website or from an ancient thread on this forum. Some of these posts have links and some don't. And these newbies then generally disappear, never to post again. 

I'll give jonathanfernas the benefit of the doubt: perhaps he posted the exact same question both here and on Reddit. But he got dozens of responses on Reddit, so I don't see the need to sign up to WS just to post the exact same question here five days later.

Side note.  *I* have also been drinking Champagne constantly, recently.  But all $35-$60/bottle grower stuff.  In fact, despite my Champagne consumption, it had been years upon years since drinking a basic NV bottling from a major house.  I was in Costco today and saw all the NVs lined up -- and well priced.  Apart from Bolly SC, which was always my favorite, but more pricy, I recalled having a preference for Roederer Brut Premier over most of the others, so for $39.99 I figured I'd try it again to see how it compares to all the grower Champagne I've grown accustomed to...  I will be sticking with the grower Champagnes.  FWIW: Lots of tart green apple, butterscotch, and chalk.  It isn't bad.  But just isn't as refined or interesting as what is available in the same price range.

sunnylea57 posted:

DD, I have no idea. But this forum has seen quite a few people sign up in the past year and immediately post something that they've copied verbatim either from another website or from an ancient thread on this forum. Some of these posts have links and some don't. And these newbies then generally disappear, never to post again. 

I'll give jonathanfernas the benefit of the doubt: perhaps he posted the exact same question both here and on Reddit. But he got dozens of responses on Reddit, so I don't see the need to sign up to WS just to post the exact same question here five days later.

I"ve been wondering if it isn't WS itself doing it to try and spur conversation/traffic.

Certainly better ways to do it, but something a misguided corporation could be seen as thinking is astute. 

All they ever really needed to do is ensure that their tasters spent an hour or two a month interacting with the forum and this would have been a major hub of activity. Now some do that on Instagram but it certainly would have been additive to WS as a whole if they had been forward thinking a few years ago. Now they have a dead forum. 

robsutherland posted:
All they ever really needed to do is ensure that their tasters spent an hour or two a month interacting with the forum and this would have been a major hub of activity. 

So easy to do, and this was suggested many times by several people here.  I can't imagine why, after the disastrous rollout of the new forums, that there wasn't more effort made to shore up these boards.  A true shame.

PH

Rothko posted:

Yes, there is something fundamentally wrong with casually drinking champagne 2-3 nights per week.

It is blasphemy.   You are a heretic and an infidel, and should be burned at the stake.

Agreed. Maybe he should go post that drivel on some wine website somewhere where he can find other lowlifes like himself 

robsutherland posted:
sunnylea57 posted:

I"ve been wondering if it isn't WS itself doing it to try and spur conversation/traffic.

Certainly better ways to do it, but something a misguided corporation could be seen as thinking is astute. 

A little tin foil hat-ery to me.

It's interesting to see the two sided discussion here.  Sunny has a good point (Nice catch!) and the (Pointless) spam prompted a discussion.  I agree that it's spam and am not sure re: possible motivation.  On Sunday, I casually enjoyed a bottle of Laurent Perrier Rose with popcorn while watching Tennessee and Kansas City...

Add Reply

Likes (0)