Skip to main content

For those that are on the Shafer Hillside mailing list, I would not be surprised if the allocation of 750ml and magnums will be less. I have recently found out that there is roughly 16% less of the 2007 vintage as compared to the 2006. With the RP 99-100 score and less product available you better order your wine in the 1st couple days of July or you may not get any. The initial order date will be July 1st 2011. It will be interesting to see what people will do to get some in the secondary market.

IW
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

I know many who have in the past couple of years dropped off the mailing list because the wine is in retail wine shops for 189.00 to 199 a bottle. Ordering from the winery after shipping and paying more for the wine has made many people drop off the list. Even look at their 2001 and 2002 wines which were 99 and 100 you can get these for a little more then release price right now on winecommune. Last week I saw an 01 go for 239 and an 02 about a month ago closed at 250 with no bids.

I like Shafer a lot and they are great people but what advantage is their to being on the Hillside list if it costs you about 30 bucks more a bottle to buy it from them. I see Shafer Hillside at many wine shops in my area and it sits beside numerous vintages at some of these shops.
quote:
Originally posted by TERPS:
I like Shafer a lot and they are great people

That's one of the advantages- supporting them directly. The other advantages to staying on the HSS list:

The bottles were sent from the winery's door to mine. Provenance is not an issue.

Lastly, for a vintage like 2007, when there will be high scores and high demand, I will have access to the wine. It will be at winery cost. Those who want it at retail will be paying a lot more. Will the premium be offset by the savings in other vintages acquired at retail? Probably, but in my case I like the people there so I can justify paying the higher price to support them directly, as mentioned above.

All that said, everyone has their line and has to make their own value judgement.
I have had access to every vintage since 1998 from one of my LWS. I skipped 2003, but I have purchased for less than Shafer's list price and not had to pay shipping. In fact, they just got another 6-pack last week (I passed - purchased some earlier in the year). Of course, I have been a very good customer at my LWS, so they take care of me. I will take my chances with 2007 and hope that they can source some for me.

Question: Why do wineries sell their wine to loyal customers at a price often much higher than retail and expect them to pay shipping on top of that? I can understand not wanting to under cut their distributers, but there has to be a happy medium. Sorry for the thread drift.
I plan on buying all that is offered next year, magnum included. Usually I am allocated 6+1mag but weaseled buying 1 bottle of the '06 this year...we'll see. If you expect to see much at your LWS next year, good luck with that. I'm sure there will be some but not as much as the last few years. I have bought at wholesale before, around $105 possibly '99, but you do the math. Supply and demand.
quote:
The bottles were sent from the winery's door to mine. Provenance is not an issue.

In addition to that, since I'm in Napa a lot, I do take them up occasionally on the free tasting that is part of the program. All it takes is for one free tasting a year to cover the difference between retail and one bottle, two bottles if you take a friend once.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.