I was thinking about his today and got to wondering what others might say.

If you could pick one producer (house/winemaker) to fill your cellar... You could have any bottle in their portfolio... but you couldn't have anything else. This is one of your end of the world decisions. The nukes are flying and you are in your bomb shelter/wine cellar full of only one producers wines. Who would it be?
Original Post
Easy choice for me: Sine Qua Non!

1) I love everything I've ever tasted from them, 2) they're my favorite producer that makes the absolute highest quality white, rose, various reds, and various dessert wines (hey, if I only get one producer, I don't want someone who only produces reds or doesn't make a sticky), and 3) I can drink them young or hold them, and they're always delicious.
A few New World Producers comes to mind: Penfolds, Catena, or Ridge, for their broad lineups. But my final decision is d'Yquem, because the sugar level helps combat depression in a post-apocalyptic world, but that's just me. Wink

Its all good to have your doomsday bunker stuffed with immortal red like Montrose or Latour, but how are you going to survive 10 years underground drinking that tannic beast everyday? Might be more fun to open the door and let the zombies in or the radiation kill you instead.

And lastly, NO BURGUNDY because you might need to make molotov cocktails out of the empty bottles; thus light-weight clarets will give you better grip, distance and accuracy.
I've narrowed it down to 3: D, R, C.

They make great reds, and a pretty good white that I've only dreamed about trying. I'm pretty sure I could survive drinking only their products.

I can pretty much guarantee that once word gets out, a lot of my friends will be showing up at the door, each probably carting a couple bottles of some of the stuff mentioned above. Smile
Penfolds would be great, but I'd go with Robert Mondavi. They're have made so many styles I've loved, from lush ageworthy cabs to stickies, to easy drinking whites that boredom would not set in. Plus, I like the idea of drinking an American institution, even if it kinda ended in '04.
quote:
Originally posted by indybob:
Penfolds would be great, but I'd go with Robert Mondavi. They're have made so many styles I've loved, from lush ageworthy cabs to stickies, to easy drinking whites that boredom would not set in. Plus, I like the idea of drinking an American institution, even if it kinda ended in '04.

Mondavi did come to mind just for the sheer diversity.
quote:
Originally posted by E. Guido:

If you could pick one producer (house/winemaker) to fill your cellar... You could have any bottle in their portfolio... but you couldn't have anything else. This is one of your end of the world decisions. The nukes are flying and you are in your bomb shelter/wine cellar full of only one producers wines. Who would it be?

Reminds me of the Far Side comic strip when the mushroom clouds are in the background and two guys are fishing on a lake. One says, "Do you know what this means? No limits today!!!!"

With your "Live for today, there may be no tomorrow...", there are many choices and would hope I would be able to get to my offsite storage in the aftermath.

What got you so depressed today to bring up this topic? Hope tomorrow is better for you.
Peter Michael. Solid line up of whites and reds. The only thing missing would be red Rhone varietals. My second thought would be Ramey, but no Pinot noir. Not in the same class, but solid line up with even more variety: Foxen. I certainly would not complain if La Mission Haut Brion would fill it up!

Fun question (without the nukes).
Penfolds! You’ve got some stickies with their Rieslings and Semillons and their wonderful tawnys, some decent whites (though mostly chardonnay…) and then you’ve got all the different Bins of Shiraz, Cab, Grenache, Merlot, Pinot – 60A, 389, 707, 138 etc… and then well then you have GRANGE!!!

You’ve got such a wealth of different types, styles and varietals, white, sweet and red AND you have one of the truly upper echelon reds in the world.
Rob S, and others,

You're seriously making me rethink my RMondavi pick. While I've had so many excellent RM wines over the years, and they can roll with the big boys, I might flip over to Penfolds, my previous #2 choice. The lure of Block 42 and Grange might be too great.

And, for those who picked a single varietal vintner like DRC. Really? As good as DRC's porfolio would be, at some point it would get old, and you'd kill for a crisp S. Blanc or a sticky.
quote:

And, for those who picked a single varietal vintner like DRC. Really?

Pinot Noir AND Chardonnay: TWO varietals, babe. Cool

And don't think for a moment I couldn't quickly produce one hell of a rosé if I really had to. So yeah, really.
quote:
Originally posted by Seaquam:
quote:

And, for those who picked a single varietal vintner like DRC. Really?

Pinot Noir AND Chardonnay: TWO varietals, babe. Cool

And don't think for a moment I couldn't quickly produce one hell of a rosé if I really had to. So yeah, really.

My bad.

Pinot AND Chard, good call on the rosé blend. Still. . .
quote:

They make great reds, and a pretty good white that I've only dreamed about trying. I'm pretty sure I could survive drinking only their products.

I can pretty much guarantee that once word gets out, a lot of my friends will be showing up at the door, each probably carting a couple bottles of some of the stuff mentioned above. Smile

You surprised me with this selection. Now that said, the second greatest white wine I have ever enjoyed was a DRC. Cool
quote:
Originally posted by theweb:
quote:
Originally posted by wine+art:
quote:

and they make a white too!

The greatest white wine I have ever enjoyed.

Really, what vintage and how long ago did the magic happen for you?

I have had the 1989 three times, and can not wait to enjoy again.

The last bottle I enjoyed was last year.
quote:

I have had the 1989 three times, and can not wait to enjoy again.
The last bottle I enjoyed was last year.

I've never had the '89 white, but I was bidding on a single bottle earlier this year on WineBid and it was frenzied bidding and I backed off
quote:

ditto that one Seaquam, I'll take a cellar full of DRC reds and whites. The nice thing about being locked in a bomb shelter for years and years is that they naturally make great wine cellar due to their high thermal inertia.
quote:
Its all good to have your doomsday bunker stuffed with immortal red like Montrose or Latour, but how are you going to survive 10 years underground drinking that tannic beast everyday? Might be more fun to open the door and let the zombies in or the radiation kill you instead.

Very funny. Big Grin

First I tought of Château Kirwan Margaux because this Château gave me one of my best experience with wine (1973 and 1975), but I'll have to go with Guigal for their range of wine that will not be as tannic and too young to drink and to be able to enjoy wine on an everyday basis...

dzitt
quote:
quote:

I've never had the '89 white, but I was bidding on a single bottle earlier this year on WineBid and it was frenzied bidding and I backed off

There was a reason the bidding became, frenzied. Wink

Do you recall the final price?

Here

A lot less frenzied than I recall Smile
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by rhone warrior:
Leroy, assuming I don't have to pay...

RW, while I adore Leroy, I have just had too many disappointing bottles to pick this producer. Frown

Interestingly have never had any of the RSV/Richebourg/Musigny/Chambertin quadrumvirate, but just love what she does with her other wines, including the village-level stuff all the way up... just not willing to enter the world of $500 Pommards.
Obviously, this question has much to do with individual experience. I can certainly relate with those saying Chapoutier and Guigal, but personally I haven't had enough peak experiences with either, while I've had more than a couple disappointments with both. For those saying DRC, however, I can't even relate, as I've only had one DRC red ('97 La Tache - nice, not great) and none of their whites. But I'm keeping my mind open to the potential of someone convincing me otherwise. Any takers? Big Grin Wink
quote:
Originally posted by Juicy:
quote:
Originally posted by E. Guido:

Reminds me of the Far Side comic strip when the mushroom clouds are in the background and two guys are fishing on a lake. One says, "Do you know what this means? No limits today!!!!"

With your "Live for today, there may be no tomorrow...", there are many choices and would hope I would be able to get to my offsite storage in the aftermath.

What got you so depressed today to bring up this topic? Hope tomorrow is better for you.

Honestly, there was really no depression involved.

I just felt that a topic like this could really give everyone an idea of what our fellow board members thought of as their favorite producer. If you take away the wineries that have one really good bottle and the rest is filler... what have you got?

I picked Vietti for that reason. I would hope that if someone never tried their wines, maybe this thread would turn them on to it.

In the same token, I hoped this thread could turn me on to more producers that have a solid portfolio to offer.
I would go with Vietti.

Moscato, for any day.
Arneis for a light refreshing white.
Tre Vigne Barbera or Dolcetto with any dinner.
Scarrone and La Crena Barbera for an age-able and more nuanced experience.
Sacarrone Vigna Vecchia for a night a hedonisim.
Perbacco or Castigilone for an early drinking nebbiolo fix.
Barbaresco Masseria in the near term.
And, of course, Barolo Rocche, Brunate and Lazzarito to age beautifully into something grand.

I know I skipped the riserva, but It never really appealed to me.

This topic got me thinking and I added a little something to my blog about it, if anyone is interested = The V.I.P. Table

Add Reply

Likes (0)