I am a decade older and I will celebrate drinking ....

The thread on the 1973 DP "inspired" me to open this new thread.

I will start; I turn 40 in July. So far I have a 1973 Ridge MonteBello from my birth year and perhaps will look for a 1973 vintage Port (to be determined). I will also celebrate in Spain so I will likely be drinking last decade Riojas and Riberos.

Note the answer does not need to be a birth year wine. Those turning 20 are welcomed to chime in as well. Wink
Original Post
quote:
Originally posted by Merengue:

I will start; I turn 40 in July. So far I have a 1973 Ridge MonteBello from my birth year and perhaps will look for a 1973 vintage Port (to be determined). I will also celebrate in Spain so I will likely be drinking last decade Riojas and Riberos.

Note the answer does not need to be a birth year wine. Those turning 20 are welcomed to chime in as well. Wink

alas you are out of luck

1973 was a cold wet year for port and certainly wans't a major declaration. A few rare bottlings may exist but I'd doubt they'd be good.

The closet you'd find is a rare split 1972 declaration which the ultra rare dow was the standout followed by some terrible wines
or the 1975 which was just a mediocre year all round but declared due to political celebratory reasons. If you go for colheitas, the 1974 Noval is quite excellent and can be had for < 130$
quote:
Originally posted by Rob_Sutherland:
I'm doing a half decade this year. I've got '78 Dom and '78 Mondavi (in mag) set to go.

I'm doing the same thing and am trying to find more '78s that fit my budget (the DRCs and La Chappelle I'm angling for don't seem to be getting by accounting).
I have a 1956 Huët Vouvray Demi-Sec Le Haut-Lieu which was sourced from the Chateau. It will be the only bottle from my birth year I've found that sounds remotely worth drinking. I plan to open it with another forumite who shares my birth year. Soon I hope. Cool

PH
quote:
Originally posted by PurpleHaze:
quote:
Originally posted by T Dub:
Find two 93's. Everyone knows two 20 year olds are better than a 40 year old.

Big Grin

Whoever coined that phrase has obviously never had a properly aged 40 year old..... Banana

PH

I'd rather have two girls at twenty-one each, than one girl at forty-two.

"You Can't Cheat an Honest Man" (1940) WC Fields
quote:
I've had the '78 DRC. Best bottle of wine I've ever had (and due to the huge generosity of a good friend bought it from him at the price he bought it from the Domaine at release).

CSM, want to do a '78 (or maybe 70's) offline later this year?

Definitely. Only 78 I have right now is the Dom. On the lookout for more.
quote:
I've had the '78 DRC. Best bottle of wine I've ever had (and due to the huge generosity of a good friend bought it from him at the price he bought it from the Domaine at release).

I'm in and will cook. We should do a '70's dinner. I'm a '74.
quote:
Originally posted by mangiare:
quote:

I'm in and will cook

also a '78. i think i drank my last'78 last year this time, but will procure something appropriate.
quote:
Originally posted by Merengue:

It may be a cop out, but I went with Craigduff Speyside Single Malth Scotch Whisky. Had it in Oslo, Norway. Distilled 4.4.73, bottled 8.6.11. 442 bottles made.

If we can get the DC crew together for another offline this year, we may have to share some Big Grin

Add Reply

Likes (0)