Hurricane/Tropical Storm Sandy

The word from my sister in New Jersey is that the National Guard isn't letting anyone onto Long Beach Island until next week...

Also, I agree with DoubleD. With an external temperature in the 40's, it will be cold, but bearable. A good ski cap on the head, some warm blankets on the bed, and Board-O should be OK. I've slept in a tent when it's been in the low 30's, and while it wasn't pleasant, it was tolerable.
Friend near Morristown reports no power, none for a week at least. His office just got power after a couple days.
In many places, very, very bad.
I am really lucky. There were 350,000 Baltimore Gas and Electric customers without power at the peak. Now we only have about 25,000 without power.
The guy across the street lost a tall pine tree. It was about 80 feet high. Now, lying on the ground, it is about 80 feet long. Didn't fall on anyone or anything except some plants. Came to about 6 feet from the street.
From what I just read, temperatures are going down into the 30's, and another storm is on its way to the region.

There are electricity work crews from 49 of the 50 states up there working to get the power back on for everyone.

I hope everyone is safe, and warm.

By the way, my parents are driving down I-95 today from Georgia, and they said that the highway is completely packed with cars from New York. It's like the entire state is heading south to Florida.
quote:
Originally posted by Ed Bowers [i.e. FlWino]:
Two thoughts:

1] Why have the NYC marathon this weekend when somuch damage is about, no power, runneers cannot get there. What of safety?

2] Elections - Why not paper ballots. No electricity required. Can they change quick enough to do this?

FYI, NYC Marathon just cancelled.
Very funny thread! My wife and I laughed at the "flush his toilets" line! We had no damage to our property, but trees are down all over. Power was off for 6 days. The temperature in the house got down to 53, but that's liveable. We have gas cooking and hot water so we managed fine. Didn't need to ice down the white wine though!
quote:
Originally posted by Board-O:
Very funny thread! My wife and I laughed at the "flush his toilets" line!

Pinotlvr's post gets my vote for "Post of the Year."

Funny, I was wondering how you were doing last night while drinking some fantastic Burgundy.

I'm glad to hear that you are well.
quote:
Very funny thread! My wife and I laughed at the "flush his toilets" line! We had no damage to our property, but trees are down all over. Power was off for 6 days. The temperature in the house got down to 53, but that's liveable. We have gas cooking and hot water so we managed fine. Didn't need to ice down the white wine though!

welcome back!
Thanks. There are people in our area that are being told they may not have power for up to another week, but fortunately, there are not many of them. The town is providing a shelter because of the cold and lack of power. A storm is expected on Wednesday with 30 mph winds and our emergency notification system is predicting further electrical outages from weakened trees coming down. On the upside, there will not be a shortage of firewood in the foreseeable future.
quote:
Thanks. There are people in our area that are being told they may not have power for up to another week, but fortunately, there are not many of them. The town is providing a shelter because of the cold and lack of power. A storm is expected on Wednesday with 30 mph winds and our emergency notification system is predicting further electrical outages from weakened trees coming down. On the upside, there will not be a shortage of firewood in the foreseeable future.

wanna help me clean out my meat stash?
quote:
Originally posted by wine+art:
Board-O,

Does your practice have power?

It's been out for over six days and was still out when I called a couple of hours ago. No damage. I'll go in in the morning, power or not, and cancel my schedule if need be and do some paper work.
quote:
Originally posted by g-man:
quote:

wanna help me clean out my meat stash?

g-man, the gym's been closed all week and I've been doing nothing physical except a few miles a day walking around the area. The last thing I need to do now is eat. Thanks for the offer. In these temps, your home must be like a refrigerator by now. We were down to 53 this morning.
quote:
Sat in a gas line for 1 3/4 hours and was 10 cars away when they ran dry. On a new line now for an hour and am about 20 cars away. Still no power in my office building.

ther'es a rationing now

if you have odd plate it's today

even for tomorow
quote:
quote:
Sat in a gas line for 1 3/4 hours and was 10 cars away when they ran dry. On a new line now for an hour and am about 20 cars away. Still no power in my office building.

ther'es a rationing now

even for tomorow

Seriously, what happens at the end of teh month with the 31st and then the 1st? Two ODD days in a row.

Maybe the 31st could be a FREE day for all cars
quote:
Originally posted by Ed Bowers [i.e. FlWino]:
quote:
quote:

ther'es a rationing now

even for tomorow

Seriously, what happens at the end of teh month with the 31st and then the 1st? Two ODD days in a row.

Maybe the 31st could be a FREE day for all cars

Yes, on November 31, everybody gets free gas and a case of Romanee Conti.
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by wine+art:
Board-O,

Does your practice have power?

It's been out for over six days and was still out when I called a couple of hours ago. No damage. I'll go in in the morning, power or not, and cancel my schedule if need be and do some paper work.

Ouch. I hope you have BI insurance.

Add Reply

Likes (0)