MLV and I were rearranging the wines we have on-site yesterday having just got an additional wine unit and took an inventory or what we have in cellartracker versus reality - we are doing half the off-site next week probably, and I was wondering how often people did this. I am sure there have been previous threads on this. This is the first full inventory I recall doing since we got the Eurocaves 4 years ago maybe.
Original Post
I think it's about once a decade for me, maybe less. I'm usually accurate within about +/- 20%. Whenever I really start running out of room (in 3 locations!), I know I'm a bit over 1000.

One of the joys of wine for me has always been finding lost bottles that I thought were long gone. It's part of the reason I smile a lot.
I treat each double-depth slot as a "Bin" so from time to time I'll go through Cellartracker and check for bins with more than 2 wines. If I have some free time I'll also check the empty slots and maybe consolidate so that I've got room for 6 or 12 bottles to be inserted together.

However I rarely if ever check that a full bin has the wines its supposed to because it almost always does. Discrepancies like that show up eventually, and are always for wines intended for long-term cellaring anyway.
Used to do it every few months when I only had a few hundred bottles.
I haven't done it in a long time and, now that I've gone from a few locations to one centralised one, I keep thinking I should do a good complete one now (physical vs C/T).
I'll get to it... Roll Eyes

Sounds like a good idea to do on a hot day. Spend the day in 55deg. Wink

Like Seaquam, I get a kick out of stumbling across stuff you've forgotten you had. Cool
I have done it a few times, but it seems that immediatley afterwards there is a party [bottles removed without a tally],receive a large shipment [toos in whereever there is space], and / or just forget to log in the quaffs.

I do have a few surprises this way. Keeps life interesting
quote:
Originally posted by Florida Wino:
and / or just forget to log in the quaffs.

Surely.
These rarely ever make it to my CT listings.
They seem to become like 'slush fund' bottles. Just lose interest to take the time to log such ones in/out.
I used to take inventory more frequently, but I just don't have the time, and my wife gets a little pissed when I disappear into the cellar for any length of time, especially if there are screaming kids running around the house. I have a little notebook that has my inventory, and I'm pretty good about keeping it up to date as I buy/drink, but there are inevitable ommissions--whoops forgot to add those two extra bottles I bought up north. Now, did I actually drink that last bottle of Chateau X, or did I pull it and then put it back??

Anyway, I think I would rather have a cellar that is mostly organized, but with some forgotton gems hiding under other bottles. It's just a great thrill when you reach into that double deep rack or bottom case box and find an "extra" bottle of a beautiful wine you thought you finished off two years ago, or a special bottle you completely forgot you bought.
Around once a year. "Found" a bottle or two each time. I find it's not that hard to do as I resort my Excel sheet to match the cellar's grid and then tick off the columns' contents. Corner bins are the largest nuisance, expecially since I try to avoid removing the bottles.

Jcocktosten--How has your count go thus far?

Neil
quote:
Originally posted by Neil K.:
Around once a year. "Found" a bottle or two each time. I find it's not that hard to do as I resort my Excel sheet to match the cellar's grid and then tick off the columns' contents. Corner bins are the largest nuisance, expecially since I try to avoid removing the bottles.

Jcocktosten--How has your count go thus far?

Neil


MLV is the keeper of the records (I am a mere grunt/bottle mover) - With Cellartracker - there is very small chance of finding any surprises and a much greater likelihood of drunk/gifted bottles that we failed to remove - Out of the 400 bottles or so we dealt with yesterday, my estimate is that there were 10 or so that we did not find (and a couple that we are pretty sure we took offsite) -
quote:
Originally posted by Redhawk:
I used to take inventory more frequently, but I just don't have the time, and my wife gets a little pissed when I disappear into the cellar for any length of time, especially if there are screaming kids running around the house.


Geez, Redhawk. Pissy wives and loud kids are some of the reasons I DO head down to the cellar. I'm thinking of moving in a cot down there. Wink

Myself, I do a count about every 3 months or so. But I only have around 400+/-.
My last inventory was April 2008.
Worst thing to happen to your logs:
Coming back from a voyage and being told the family has consumed various bottles, but dont remember the names of the wines Wink
As a result of such an experience, i usually prepare a case of nice bottles for the family, before travelling.
quote:
Originally posted by mneeley490:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Redhawk:
I used to take inventory more frequently, but I just don't have the time, and my wife gets a little pissed when I disappear into the cellar for any length of time, especially if there are screaming kids running around the house.


Geez, Redhawk. Pissy wives and loud kids are some of the reasons I DO head down to the cellar. I'm thinking of moving in a cot down there. Wink

QUOTE]

I never said I didn't try to hide out down there. Unfortunately, the cellar has become the first place she looks. Frown
quote:
Originally posted by grossie:
Never do. I lose bottles, I find bottles, it all works out in the end.


grossie,

Precisely, and well said! I don't like the dispassionate accounting, it's a chore, and anyway, finding a special bottle offers a spontaneous joy!
I don't inventory the off-site stuff. I have good records of what I have put into storage, and since I don't often remove the off-site wines, the records should be accurate.

I keep no inventory of what I have at home. I just open the wine fridge and cabinets and see what's there.
Inventory... is that an English word? Confused

Seems like work to me. I have a feel for what I have at home, but the off-site stuff might be a problem.

With 75% of my wine off-site, I often forget what I have, but like others have posted... I love a surprise. Big Grin

Poor wiml, he gets an email every 6 months or so from me asking, what wine do you have of mine? Red Face

I'm glad I trust Joe. Big Grin
quote:
Originally posted by latour67:
quote:
Originally posted by GregT:
I thought about doing it once. Seemed like too much trouble. Almost did it when I built a new cellar, but then it got too involved so I just forgot about it.


Excellent, I like the way you think!

You know what? You're absolutely right. F**K it!

Thanks! I feel better already. Smile

Like I needed more time on my hands. Big Grin
quote:
Originally posted by mneeley490:
quote:
Originally posted by Redhawk:
I used to take inventory more frequently, but I just don't have the time, and my wife gets a little pissed when I disappear into the cellar for any length of time, especially if there are screaming kids running around the house.


Geez, Redhawk. Pissy wives and loud kids are some of the reasons I DO head down to the cellar. I'm thinking of moving in a cot down there. Wink

Myself, I do a count about every 3 months or so. But I only have around 400+/-.



No loud kids (or any kids for that matter) but a wife who can be v-e-r-y pissy at times when it comes to my wine collection (and that's an understatement) makes me want to move a cot in the cellar as well.
quote:
Originally posted by duckfaninmt:
a wife who can be v-e-r-y pissy at times when it comes to my wine collection (and that's an understatement) makes me want to move a cot in the cellar as well.


Even after this duck? If that didn't make her happy, she needs to help you drink it rather than sell it. Wine can offer an excellent attitude adjustment to those who experience its pleasure. Wink
quote:
Originally posted by vinole:
quote:
Originally posted by duckfaninmt:
a wife who can be v-e-r-y pissy at times when it comes to my wine collection (and that's an understatement) makes me want to move a cot in the cellar as well.


Even after this duck? If that didn't make her happy, she needs to help you drink it rather than sell it. Wine can offer an excellent attitude adjustment to those who experience its pleasure. Wink


Apparently I haven't sold enough to make her happy, which is why "this" is unfortunately still happening... sometimes it seems like it'll never end. Frown

I totally agree with you that she needs to help me drink and enjoy it rather than having me sell a chunk of my collection. I know I'd be a lot happier! Wink
I religiously enter each bottle that will be cellared in my Numbers spreadsheet (Mac user) but even so I take everything out in the winter and re-check the inventory. To my surprise, I do find bottles that I did not know I had... Smile

quote:
Do you ever find yourself polishing the bottles and addressing any of them as "My precious" while you're talking to them?


Wow... and here I was thinking I was the only sick-o doing that... lol!
Count me among the monthly inventory geeks. We have our "cellar" arranged so that I can check inventory (against our Cellartracker list) pretty quickly. Monthly helps me to keep up the ruse with our teens (5 between 13 and 19) that I keep track of EVERY bottle but not so often that my wife starts worrying that I'm trying to keep tabs on the wines she shares with friends.
I've done it when it's forced upon me. For instance, in 04 and 05 I had to transport about 120 bottles of on-site to my in-laws who had power after hurricanes came through so I did inventory of that. This winter I did a full (on-site and off-site) inventory after getting the last of my 05 Bordeaux futures as I had to do some serious rearranging. I write a TN on every wine I drink on CT, so I hardly ever "lose" a bottle. My offsite bin references have gotten screwed up sometimes when trying to make room for new stuff.

Add Reply

Likes (0)
×
×
×
×