I love the stuff, but have cut way back for health reasons and family history. I'm curious about the folks here.

Thank you in advance.
Original Post
Love it as well. What better to pair Cabs and Syrahs that beg for red meat. However, for the same general health reasons, I limit it to 1 or 2 times a month, average.
i eat it maybe once a week. I love it and I don't steer myself away from it for any specific health reasons. I just find myself eating salads for lunch and chicken, turkey and pork more often at dinner. while I rarely have ground beef, I do enjoy a grilled ribeye and a Cail Cabernet.
Almost never. I indulge my brother-in-law by having some of his smoked elk and venison on Thanksgiving. That's it.
2-5 times a week depending on whether I am traveling for work (and if traveling - where I am stuck, i.e. one goes to San Diego for Sea Food not the 30 ounce bone in rib-eye)
Most people eat more red meat than they think. I mean a big rare steak - maybe once a week, but are we including meatballs (when you think you are only eating pasta in your mind), beef and broccoli, won ton soup or steamed dumplings on "Chinese Night". Pizza with Sausage? Eggs and Bacon in the morning??? Wink

I'm probably red meating in some way 4 days a week at least.
Okay, lets define red meat

Assume you mean beef, Razz but horse, ostrich, venision, Bison, lamb etc. are also red meats, but with less fats and colesterol

Last week I had:
beef two nights
Venison 1 night
Ostrich 1 night
Horse & bison 1 night
Beef? Once, maybe twice a week. Usually it's lamb (we buy whole lambs twice a year), duck, bison, chicken, or seafood. Less often, but maybe once a week it's pork, veal, venison...

To answer the general question: "How often do you eat red meat?" - 50% of the time.
quote:
Including everything but chicken and fish, I probably eat “red” meat 4-5 times a week.


Now THAT's an honest answer Smile

Not sure I'm buying into Bez, Irwin and IndyBob up there for 3 meals+ per day where it works out to red meat once a week, 3 times a month or "almost never". Razz

Who's counting that Roast Beef sandwich at the deli for lunch when you had that healthy grilled chicken for dinner.
Not very often anymore - it's amazing how many cab's I have to drink in my cellar. Since I love red meat with wine, it's very hard for me but I think of my colon like my family: I want to be very kind to it, because I'll sure miss it when it's gone!!
My estimate is about twice a month. That is usually an 8 ounce tenderloin cooked on my grill. I will eat less than five cheeseburgers a year now.
Very, very rarely. Since I started eating meat again almost two years ago, I mostly stick to fish unless I'm being served at someone's home, in which case I eat whatever is prepared. I eat a burger once every three or four months at most.

I did recently surprise my husband with Zingerman's bacon manifesto so the temptation is around but I don't plan on indulging too often (although a blt for dinner is sounding really tempting).
I eat red meat 1-2 times a week - usually ground beef. However, once spring/summer arrive and the snows have melted away, my comsumption increases to 2-3 times a week - as I am grilling more.

My wife and I eat more chicken, turkey, and fish than red meat by a large margin.

I will never give up my NY/ribeye steaks and Cali cab, er Syrah, er Malbec.

I make other adjustments in my diet to compensate. In the immortal words of Krusty the Clown: "Forget it! I'll just have to cut back on the Condor egg omelets...mmm...a couple of those sure would be tasty right now."
Spo, I was a vegetarian for 12 years. I was in very good health but I wasn't one of those vegetarians who subsisted on french fries.

I decided to stop because I hated that most restaurants only offered veggie plates or some ghastly crap. I also like to travel and didn't want to be one of those people who makes hosts or hostesses feel weird about my choices. I also wanted to raise my good cholesterol and since eating fish it has gone up to protective range. My ldl is still great. My blood levels as a vegetarian were always in ideal range except for hdl.

I was never the type of vegetarian who looked down on others for their choices (except for people who ordered their steaks well done!) I started in my 20s and it just kind of stuck with me and then I got worried about how my body would react to meat. The first couple of times I ate meat, my body was not happy at all so I transitioned very slowly. The oddest thing is that I am now allergic to salmon but could eat it before. That sucks as I like the taste.

I have not eaten chicken since I started eating meat. I never really liked it before, so why start now? Fish, especially sushi, is my favorite. I do love a good medium rare steak or burger once in a while.
Last edited by een
I eat much less red meat now, which for the purposes of my discussion here means beef, than I once did. I was reading a magazine last year at some point, I can’t remember what magazine it was, and there was an article about things you should try to do at some point in your life. One of the items suggested was to go vegetarian for one month. At the beginning of 2008 my wife and I said that through the month of January we would not eat beef, pork, poultry, or lamb. The only meat that we ate was seafood so I guess we cheated somewhat. However, I still have not eaten any beef in 2008 and have had chicken only once. I do not have plans to totally eliminate beef because I love it too much but I am going to make an effort to scale back the amount of beef that I eat. I once ate beef 4 or 5 times per week but have no plans to do that again. I once used to believe that, because I exercise quite a bit, I could eat just about anything I wanted to and I would still maintain a high degree of health. I now believe that there is just too much valid research and literature showing the detrimental effects of beef on cardiac health.
Altaholic, I agree with you on the effects of too much saturated fat on cardiac health. Moderation is key. So is exercise.
quote:
Originally posted by Hunter:
quote:
Including everything but chicken and fish, I probably eat “red” meat 4-5 times a week.


Now THAT's an honest answer Smile

Not sure I'm buying into Bez, Irwin and IndyBob up there for 3 meals+ per day where it works out to red meat once a week, 3 times a month or "almost never". Razz

Who's counting that Roast Beef sandwich at the deli for lunch when you had that healthy grilled chicken for dinner.
I agree. I think some people have select memory and are excluding taco night, pasta with meat sauce and that quick hamburger they had while on the run. Wink
Hunter, GlennK,

Nope, no selective memory here. I know what I eat. In the last two years, I've had red meat three times, twice at Thanksgiving, and last March, I had an In and Out Double Double when I was in Ventura for work. In the past 18 years, I've had red meat about a dozen times, and pork once (in a migrant farmworker's camp--- I felt guilty refusing the sweet abuela who prepared it). I was all Veg all the time for about 10 years, but missed seafood too much, so I have it a few times a week, and have poultry rarely.

I'm in great health, and feel good. It works for me, more meat works for other people, no problemo.

Like Een, in that I don't give much thought about what anybody else eats. IMO, neither should anybody else. Smile
quote:
Originally posted by indybob:
Hunter, GlennK,

Nope, no selective memory here. I know what I eat. In the last two years, I've had red meat three times, twice at Thanksgiving, and last March, I had an In and Out Double Double when I was in Ventura for work. In the past 18 years, I've had red meat about a dozen times, and pork once (in a migrant farmworker's camp--- I felt guilty refusing the sweet abuela who prepared it). I was all Veg all the time for about 10 years, but missed seafood too much, so I have it a few times a week, and have poultry rarely.

I'm in great health, and feel good. It works for me, more meat works for other people, no problemo.

Like Een, in that I don't give much thought about what anybody else eats. IMO, neither should anybody else. Smile
I still don’t believe you Razz
quote:
Originally posted by Een:
I was never the type of vegetarian who looked down on others for their choices (except for people who ordered their steaks well done!)


Big Grin

My kind of vegetarian!!

PH
quote:
Originally posted by indybob:
Hunter, GlennK,

Nope, no selective memory here. I know what I eat. In the last two years, I've had red meat three times, twice at Thanksgiving, and last March, I had an In and Out Double Double when I was in Ventura for work. In the past 18 years, I've had red meat about a dozen times, and pork once (in a migrant farmworker's camp--- I felt guilty refusing the sweet abuela who prepared it). I was all Veg all the time for about 10 years, but missed seafood too much, so I have it a few times a week, and have poultry rarely.

I'm in great health, and feel good. It works for me, more meat works for other people, no problemo.

Like Een, in that I don't give much thought about what anybody else eats. IMO, neither should anybody else. Smile


The Double Double from In and Out would be the deal breaker if I ever considered going Vegetarian. Well that and the Carne Asada burrito from Roberto's, prime Delmonico fresh off the grill, fried pork chops, barbaque ribs, etc.
with the wife only eats turkey an chicken
i am not cooking two meals!
to night mac n cheese w/ brocc
the meat will be the lewis merlot!(2005)
Razz
and be for the kid were born she was a veggie !
an i would only have it on the weekends or when we went out!
oh did i forget she doesn't eat any sea food !
I figured that out after I posted. I'm in class right now and am being too earnest!

And yes, I'm posting during class. Bad. Very bad.
Hunter...
I don't eat meat at breakfast.....never. No sausage, bacon, never. I do eat yogurt, herring, cheese, cereals and eggs.
For lunch, I typically have either a chicken caesar salad, greek salad, or sometimes a turkey sandwhich. I don't eat hamburgers at lunch, nor roast beef.
For dinner, at least once or twice a week I eat vegetarian stuff.....Either veggie soy meatballs, or salads, or spinach pie. I might eat sushi. If I get Chinese food, it's typically a chicken dish. But, every once in a while, I'll eat a steak, meatloaf, or beef ribs. And, sometimes lamb or veal.
But, also there is fish.
So, I am sticking with the one time a week estimate.
If it weren't for Gentleman Farmer's cheesecake and genetics, I'd be svelte.
But, please don't suggest that I am dishonest. I am, after all, a lawyer.
quote:
Originally posted by KSC02:
Love it as well. What better to pair Cabs and Syrahs that beg for red meat. However, for the same general health reasons, I limit it to 1 or 2 times a month, average.

All right, All right. Ya got me. Big Grin

IF I MUST include bacon with my eggs, pepperoni on pizza etc. I suppose it would come up to 1 or 2 times per week. I was thinking of sitting down to enjoy a steak, but a good point is made. It's easy to forget about all the smaller amounts we take in more regularly. However, there is a point in that those amounts are indeed very small. I would think, logically, that the amount DOES make a large difference. Likewise, when we DO sit down for a grand steak, do we consume a huge piece, or a smaller, more easily ingested portion. The body can only ingest so much, with the rest turning quickly to fat.
quote:
Originally posted by Red guy in a blue state:
quote:
Originally posted by indybob:
I had an In and Out Double Double when I was in Ventura for work.


The Double Double from In and Out would be the deal breaker if I ever considered going Vegetarian.


Ha! It was pretty damn good, I'll admit, but funny thing is I never crave red meat, except during times when I've got something unusually stressful going on. With the Double Double, it was the death of a family member. About ten years earlier, I "fell off the wagon" with a double whopper w/chz when I found out my best friend was in a terrible car crash. Weird.
Almost neverFrown

Two or three times per year, I snap and tuck into a rare steak, or a big angus burger. Other times I cut out the middle man and just mainline a few ounces of arterial plaque.
Full blown carnivore, here!

I eat red meat as often as I like (minimum 3-4 times per week).

As far as health effects, that's why I drink a lot of wine - to counter any ill effects of red meat.

Working for me so far! Big Grin Cool
quote:
Originally posted by indybob:
quote:
Originally posted by Red guy in a blue state:
quote:
Originally posted by indybob:
I had an In and Out Double Double when I was in Ventura for work.


The Double Double from In and Out would be the deal breaker if I ever considered going Vegetarian.


Ha! It was pretty damn good, I'll admit, but funny thing is I never crave red meat, except during times when I've got something unusually stressful going on. With the Double Double, it was the death of a family member. About ten years earlier, I "fell off the wagon" with a double whopper w/chz when I found out my best friend was in a terrible car crash. Weird.

That is why they call it comfort food. Hopefully, you won't be having burgers any time soon (unless it is for the pure joy of it).
Unfortunately, I'm on a first name basis at the local Ruth's Chris & Flemings Smile I do love it so, and I didn't even mention the fine Cab that's a must with any fine steak! And, I don't believe all those Chick-fil-A ads! Razz Still, I have really cut back in the last two years; going to Ruth's & Fleming's several times a month will require you to cut back! Eek
quote:
Hunter...
I don't eat meat at breakfast.....never. No sausage, bacon, never. I do eat yogurt, herring, cheese, cereals and eggs.
For lunch, I typically have either a chicken caesar salad, greek salad, or sometimes a turkey sandwhich. I don't eat hamburgers at lunch, nor roast beef.
For dinner, at least once or twice a week I eat vegetarian stuff.....Either veggie soy meatballs, or salads, or spinach pie. I might eat sushi. If I get Chinese food, it's typically a chicken dish. But, every once in a while, I'll eat a steak, meatloaf, or beef ribs. And, sometimes lamb or veal.
But, also there is fish.
So, I am sticking with the one time a week estimate.
If it weren't for Gentleman Farmer's cheesecake and genetics, I'd be svelte.
But, please don't suggest that I am dishonest. I am, after all, a lawyer.

Ok Irwin. I guess I have to believe you. No one would make that diet up Wink

Being "Svelte" is overrated anyway.

quote:
Full blown carnivore, here!

I eat red meat as often as I like (minimum 3-4 times per week).

As far as health effects, that's why I drink a lot of wine - to counter any ill effects of red meat.

Working for me so far!


I like the way you think Purple Teeth. Cool
quote:
Originally posted by irwin:
FLWINO:
Horse?
out of a dog food can?


Still dying to see a response on this. HORSE?!?!? I hope it was a joke.
quote:
Originally posted by Tin Cup Chalice:
I love it and I don't steer myself away from it for any specific health reasons.


Steer yourself away... good one!

Big Grin

- Jeff
Hunter: If you check out my pics in the MD offline photo gallery, you'll see that I am anything but svelte, actually. That was sort of tongue in cheek
(should have used an icon). My guess is that I weigh more than any of the MD offliners.
But the herring at breakfast and the red wine keep my cholesterol down to normal.
I would have to keep a journal to actually answer this question. I would not worry about red meat consumption though. I think you should worry about serving size first. Less than 4 oz. ideal compared to about a pound, more typical. Also, sugar, white flour, those weird molested oils and other anti nutrients we call food scare me more than red meat.
quote:
Originally posted by Red guy in a blue state:

That is why they call it comfort food. Hopefully, you won't be having burgers any time soon (unless it is for the pure joy of it).


Thanks RGiaBS,

I mean it, I appreciate the sentiment. I'd always thought of chocolate as my "comfort food," but maybe red meat is my comfort food trump card.

Cheers,

Blue guy in a red state-IB
Eat red meat a minimum of 3 times a week and usually 4-5 times. Any less and I go through withdrawal pains.

Cholesterol levels are consistently at or below recommended levels.
quote:
Originally posted by GreenDrazi:
Eat red meat a minimum of 3 times a week and usually 4-5 times. Any less and I go through withdrawal pains.

Cholesterol levels are consistently at or below recommended levels.


Lucky son of a gun. I got a double dose of bad genetics in that regard. I'd ask for some of your genes, except that the request might be misinterpreted in an unseemly manner.
quote:
Originally posted by GreenDrazi:
Eat red meat a minimum of 3 times a week and usually 4-5 times. Any less and I go through withdrawal pains.

Cholesterol levels are consistently at or below recommended levels.


Cool Ditto. And, at 5'8", I've been able to maintain 127-130lbs. Lucky, I guess... Wink
I'm eating more than most responding to this post. (4-5 times week)

My cholesterol was 167 with proper levels of HDL/LDL at my last check-up.
Thanks guys!! This thread has me counting the number of times I eat red meat. Since I started counting I've had meat 4 times in 5 days. Maybe I should cut down.

For those who don't eat red meat, what do you pair with your cabs and merlots?
I eat meat 4-5 times/week, primarily beef, pork, and bison. With this level of meat consumption and most everything else holding steady, my LDL cholesterol dropped by 20 points (~80) after starting to drink wine again last year! Smile
quote:
Originally posted by lizardking:
For those who don't eat red meat, what do you pair with your cabs and merlots?

I’ve found that this is a problem since I have cut way back on my consumption of beef (which, by the way, was not done because I have high cholesterol – I do not. I am merely attempting to stave off potential problems down the road.) My consumption of reds has also dropped since I have cut back on beef consumption and I have been drinking more whites. I now find that when I drink reds it is not to complement the meal but just to enjoy it on its own merit. This has been tough because my preference in reds tilts toward those that are more well balanced and “food friendly.” I’ve never been a big fan of low acidity new world wines though I do drink them occasionally. If my consumption of beef remains low, I may need to develop my palate to better appreciate the new world styles. Back to your original question, lizardking, I think that there are plenty of Cabs & Merlots that are built following the big & low acidity style that makes them enjoyable to drink without food.
quote:
Originally posted by lizardking:

For those who don't eat red meat, what do you pair with your cabs and merlots?


I often drink them on their own, as Alta does. I'm not big on pairing, but find that grilled portabellas, or a good hearty veg. chili goes great with a lot of bolder reds like Cabernet.
Meat with EVERY meal.

21 meals a week.

red meat (beef, pork, veal)- 8 times
poultry (chicken, turkey, other fowl)- 10 times
Fish - 3 times.

On average.
quote:
Originally posted by Rodeo360:
Meat with EVERY meal.

21 meals a week.

red meat (beef, pork, veal)- 8 times
poultry (chicken, turkey, other fowl)- 10 times
Fish - 3 times.

On average.


Pork and veal are not red meats. They are considered white, I believe.
quote:
Originally posted by WEc:
quote:
Originally posted by Rodeo360:
Meat with EVERY meal.

21 meals a week.

red meat (beef, pork, veal)- 8 times
poultry (chicken, turkey, other fowl)- 10 times
Fish - 3 times.

On average.


Pork and veal are not red meats. They are considered white, I believe.


Awesome, I am healthier than I thought Smile

(bacon?)
quote:
Originally posted by WEc:
Pork and veal are not red meats. They are considered white, I believe.


Nope, they're red meat. That "the other white meat" stuff is marketing hype.
quote:
Originally posted by WEc:
quote:
Originally posted by Rodeo360:
Meat with EVERY meal.

21 meals a week.

red meat (beef, pork, veal)- 8 times
poultry (chicken, turkey, other fowl)- 10 times
Fish - 3 times.

On average.


Pork and veal are not red meats. They are considered white, I believe.


Nope. At least not according to the USDA. Red meat includes beef, veal, pork, and lamb and mutton. I believe the Canandian agriculture folks classify it similarly.

PH
quote:
Originally posted by PurpleHaze:
Twice nope'd, WEc! Wink Beat me to it, indybob.

PH


No worries, always nice to have backup. Wink Wink
quote:
Originally posted by indybob:
quote:
Originally posted by lizardking:

For those who don't eat red meat, what do you pair with your cabs and merlots?


I often drink them on their own, as Alta does. I'm not big on pairing, but find that grilled portabellas, or a good hearty veg. chili goes great with a lot of bolder reds like Cabernet.


indybob,

So realistically besides hardy cheese and/or red meat, there isn't much else to pair Cabs with? Mushrooms or a good hearty veg. chili...really?
quote:
Originally posted by PurpleHaze:
Nope. At least not according to the USDA.


ad verecundiam x 1 Wink

quote:
Originally posted by PurpleHaze:
Twice nope'd, WEc!


ad verecundiam x 2 Wink
Sancho,

Heck, I dunno. Pairing isn't my thing, and I don't stress about it. But I've enjoyed Cabernet with all manner of foods, including Chile Rellenos, meatless lasagne with Bechamel sauce, Cioppino (San Francisco seafood stew), and on and on. I(t) can overpower most fish, but that hasn't stopped me from trying (and liking) the pairing. Lots of folks will tell you that without a steak, a Cabernet is wasted. See what works for you, that's the most important thing. If steak/cabernet is your holy grail, then enjoy!
Last edited by indybob
quote:
Originally posted by indybob:
quote:
Originally posted by PurpleHaze:
Twice nope'd, WEc! Wink Beat me to it, indybob.

PH


No worries, always nice to have backup. Wink Wink


Might as well. ad populum!
quote:
Originally posted by WEc:
quote:
Originally posted by PurpleHaze:
Nope. At least not according to the USDA.


ad verecundiam x 1 Wink

quote:
Originally posted by PurpleHaze:
Twice nope'd, WEc!


ad verecundiam x 2 Wink


I'm confused, WEc. Are you asserting that the USDA and their Canadian counterpart aren't authorities in the classification of meat?

PH
quote:
Originally posted by indybob:
I can overpower most fish,
Wow, so a veggie diet makes you that strong? Big Grin How about Great Whites?
quote:
Originally posted by PurpleHaze:
quote:
Originally posted by WEc:
quote:
Originally posted by PurpleHaze:
Nope. At least not according to the USDA.


ad verecundiam x 1 Wink

quote:
Originally posted by PurpleHaze:
Twice nope'd, WEc!


ad verecundiam x 2 Wink


I'm confused, WEc. Are you asserting that the USDA and their Canadian counterpart aren't authorities in the classification of meat?

PH


Sure, the USDA and the Canadian board are authorities in the classification of meat. But it is not clear to me that the term red meat when tossed around in conversation is actually associated to the classification. For all I know, red meat are two english words and hence I could equally appeal to the OED ( here) which clearly states:
red meat, dark-coloured meat, as beef or lamb (as opposed to chicken, veal, etc.)

Beyond this, there are two variations of ad verecundiam fallacies but they take on the same logical forms where subject X is an expert in the field Y.
X is an expert in Y.
X says A.
Therefore A.

The difference is whether the statement A, itself, is relevant to the field of Y. Of course, in the absence of this relevance, this fallacy is immediate (i.e., drink Pepsi cause Michael Jackson endorses it) but even in the event that A is relevant to Y, this is still a fallacy (The chief economist at the Bank of ABC said that interest rates will fall and so therefore interest rates will fall!)
quote:
Originally posted by VT2IT:
If the veal was allowed to grow up, would not the resulting meat be red? Wink


If you allowed the egg to hatch wouldn't the resulting meat be poultry? Wink
OK, so I try to limit my red meat to 2 meals per week. That includes meat in sauces, chinese food, RB sandwiches etc. I feel that I'm able to keep this average, sometimes things can't be helped and I'll have more, but I'm good at cutting back the next week to keep that average.

My question is what other foods do you eat with big red wines? It seems like the amount of red wine so far out numbers the foods that you can eat with it. Pinot is a bit more versatile obviously. Other than beef and lamb dishes and red sauced italian foods, what other foods do you drink cabs, merlots and their counterparts with?
quote:
Originally posted by WEc:
The difference is whether the statement A, itself, is relevant to the field of Y. Of course, in the absence of this relevance, this fallacy is immediate (i.e., drink Pepsi cause Michael Jackson endorses it) but even in the event that A is relevant to Y, this is still a fallacy (The chief economist at the Bank of ABC said that interest rates will fall and so therefore interest rates will fall!)


Then it would also hold that it would be a fallacy when WEc says, "Pork and veal are not red meats." Wink If I'm going to look to an authority in the classification of meat, it ain't going to be either WEc or the OED!! Razz

PH
quote:
Originally posted by Aja1:
OK, so I try to limit my red meat to 2 meals per week. That includes meat in sauces, chinese food, RB sandwiches etc. I feel that I'm able to keep this average, sometimes things can't be helped and I'll have more, but I'm good at cutting back the next week to keep that average.

My question is what other foods do you eat with big red wines? It seems like the amount of red wine so far out numbers the foods that you can eat with it. Pinot is a bit more versatile obviously. Other than beef and lamb dishes and red sauced italian foods, what other foods do you drink cabs, merlots and their counterparts with?


Veal.
quote:
Originally posted by PurpleHaze:
quote:
Originally posted by WEc:
The difference is whether the statement A, itself, is relevant to the field of Y. Of course, in the absence of this relevance, this fallacy is immediate (i.e., drink Pepsi cause Michael Jackson endorses it) but even in the event that A is relevant to Y, this is still a fallacy (The chief economist at the Bank of ABC said that interest rates will fall and so therefore interest rates will fall!)


Then it would also hold that it would be a fallacy when WEc says, "Pork and veal are not red meats." Wink If I'm going to look to an authority in the classification of meat, it ain't going to be either WEc or the OED!! Razz

PH


This, is perhaps one of your more commendable posts as opposed to the frat boy behavior you sometimes exhibit. Wink

FWIW, siding with the USDA interpretation of red meat is almost akin to answering the doctor's questionnaire truthfully. I am known to be a victim of irrational rationalizations.
quote:
Originally posted by Aja1:
Veal.



That's red meat in my book...sadly.[/QUOTE]

Aja1,

I do believe that there is no ad verecundiam in your statement. Your assertion is valid, for yourself ("in my book"). As regard to who is the ultimate authority on veal (red meat or not red meat), that’s seems to be up for grabs. Anyhow, I do not think that there is much of a choice of food to pair with Cab or any bold red, but red meat.
I eat cow about twice a month.

I eat chicken probably 3 times a week.

The other meals are either turkey, fish, or vegetarian type dishes.

Don't eat pork. Exotics on occasion (ostrich, buffalo etc) maybe twice a year.

I'm currently reading the Omnivore's Dilemma. As a result, I'm seriously thinking of switching to grass fed cow instead of corn fed cows.
quote:
Originally posted by tanglenet:

I'm currently reading the Omnivore's Dilemma.


I'm reading that, too. I think it's time to boycott corn. And ethanol? There's some pork for you. It takes more gasoline to produce than you get usable fuel in return. By the way, just try to find bread or bagels without high-fructose corn syrup. It's nice to know that our representatives in congress have found a way to subsidize the addition of gratuitous calories in our diet.
quote:
Originally posted by Spenser:
quote:
Originally posted by tanglenet:

I'm currently reading the Omnivore's Dilemma.


I'm reading that, too. I think it's time to boycott corn. And ethanol? There's some pork for you. It takes more gasoline to produce than you get usable fuel in return. By the way, just try to find bread or bagels without high-fructose corn syrup. It's nice to know that our representatives in congress have found a way to subsidize the addition of gratuitous calories in our diet.


I'm still on the section on corn. Pretty enlightening and frightening reading.

At Whole Foods out here, you can buy bread without the corn additives.
quote:
Originally posted by Spenser:
By the way, just try to find bread or bagels without high-fructose corn syrup.

Finding bread with HFCS isn't too bad but I've found that even if you've read the label of one brand of bread and found that it did not have HFCS in it, the next time you buy it it may. It's kind of frustrating to me that I need to read the label every time. Bagels aren't a problem for me - I buy them from a local Jewish bagel shop that makes them on premises. It seems that buns are impossible to find without HFCS.
Since it seems few of you are eating red meat, I started wondering what it is you do eat. So, I tallied up the main protein dishes(when I could tell) in the latest 'What's for dinner?' thread. My findings:

Beef 22
Seafood 17
Lamb 7
Fowl 7
Pork 6
Veal 2
Rabbit 1
Spam 1 (thanks Bella)

It seem there is a little more beef eatin' going on than I would have anticipated from reading this thread.

Certainly not an exhaustive study, but food for thought. Wink
cdr must have had a near death experience. He started a thread that has gone 4 pages without mocking anybody at all. No arguments either. Confused
quote:
Originally posted by spo:
cdr must have had a near death experience. He started a thread that has gone 4 pages without mocking anybody at all. No arguments either. Confused


Smile Big Grin Maybe there can at last be peace between the various 'vores.
I think our friends the cow and the pig are getting a bad rap on this thread. A filet of beef and a pork loin are actually pretty lean cuts of meat depending on how they are prepared. In addition, I have a buddy that is a line cook at a seafood restaurant and he said people would be shocked at how much butter restaurants use when cooking fish. I was thinking of this statement this weekend when I was at a local steakhouse and a coworker of mine claimed he was going to get the halibut because it was “healthy”. When the dish came out I could see the butter oozing out of the fish. Now I’m not saying it was worse than my filet that was swimming in butter, but fish in a restaurant is not as “healthy” as most people think.
quote:
I was thinking of this statement this weekend when I was at a local steakhouse and a coworker of mine claimed he was going to get the halibut because it was “healthy”. When the dish came out I could see the butter oozing out of the fish. Now I’m not saying it was worse than my filet that was swimming in butter, but fish in a restaurant is not as “healthy” as most people think.


Totally. Seafood is usually soaked in butter most of the time. Especially in those iron deep dish plates. People are like "Oh it's so buttery and creamy" "I never had flounder so good" Clueless Roll Eyes

Not to mention the people who think they are doing themsleves a favor at mcdonalds avoiding an evil quarter pounder but order a fried fish sandwich with tarter sauce. That's worse!

Yes - when it comes to red meat, the cut and quality definitely matters. I guess that applies to all food. Quality is the key.
Smile
I love red meat and the rarier the better. I eat it as often as I can my cholesteral is lower than a deadman's and I go for the lowest fat content usually bison or filet mignon. Say what you will but I believe that it is all in the mind or in your genes. I'm lucky and I can eat whatever I want "in moderation" and still keep my levels in check. I think a lot of people listen to the "hype" and let their mind rule over their better instincts. EVERYTHING IS FINE IN MODERATION.
quote:
Originally posted by mpls wine guy:
It hit 20 degrees today in Mpls! Razz
Wow, I don’t think I have ever been in weather that cold. I’m not kidding. I think it was 80 this weekend in SoCal. I’m not rubbing it in I promise Smile
Never, I'm that kind of vegetarian. It doesn't stop me from posting wine and food pairings and recipes on the blog, though. My boyfriend is a wine lover and he hunts.
Kathleen Lisson
Not too often, but I do love it when I choose to indulge. I have meat once a day max and a steak once a week max.

Humans have only had unrestricted access to red meat for 100 years or so. I don't think our bodies are designed to handle it twice a day.
Once the weather gets friendly here my neighbor who grills out almost every night is going to let me use his grill and smoker so I will indulge more often but I'll limit the portions.

Add Reply

×
×
×
×
Link copied to your clipboard.
×