Given the facts that (1) Shanken has shut down the Cigar Aficionado forum and (2) this one is suffering as a result (in part) of this new awful format, how much longer will we be here?  I'm guessing less than a year. 

Original Post

I agree that the current format has really hampered participation on the site.  But I think that there still are, from time to time, really great posts about wine and wine-related topics.  It would be a shame to see the entire site go away.

What I'd love to see is a revamped site that is more user friendly, to bring back more people and keep the discussion about wine alive.

Rothko posted:

What I'd love to see is a revamped site that is more user friendly, to bring back more people and keep the discussion about wine alive.

If I remember correctly they got forced into this format by a European privacy regulation. They did not want to get rid of the forum but it does not benefit them much either. If you Google 'internet forums dead'  the first article that appears is titled "Internet Forums Are, Generally Speaking, Long Dead; Don't Do Them". I would hate to see the forum end and would love to see a better format draw in new users but that looks unlikely.

Wine Spectator changed formats to be GDPR compliant, but this specific platform was a bad decision.  There were and are other more user friendly platforms.

The combination of the disastrous roll-out of this new site, with the long delays and early bugs, was a huge contributing factor to the decline here.  The cumbersome nature of the site doesn't help either.

PH

The biggest problem I see is too many people posting about things other than wine. Yes what you ate, listened to, watched, voted for etc was a nice adjunct when things were more active but now that's most of what We've got left. We've got people here that post regularly but little or nothing about wine in years. I don't know if some of them even buy or drink wine regularly anymore. That creates an odd dynamic if not hostile environment and repels newbies. Think about this. Who is the last new regular poster that has joined the forum? Can't think of one in years

bomba503 posted:

The biggest problem I see is too many people posting about things other than wine. Yes what you ate, listened to, watched, voted for etc was a nice adjunct when things were more active but now that's most of what We've got left. We've got people here that post regularly but little or nothing about wine in years. I don't know if some of them even buy or drink wine regularly anymore. That creates an odd dynamic if not hostile environment and repels newbies. Think about this. Who is the last new regular poster that has joined the forum? Can't think of one in years

GUILTY! I used to drink 2-3 times a week, then 2-3 times a month and sometimes I don't drink for 2-3 months. Still interested in wine though and the forum was just sort of a habit from when I was drinking a lot.

To be honest I am amazed it has lasted this long already. Was never a prolific poster but have been around a long time and while I check up on a few wine sites/forums (wb, ftlop, tpf, cellartracker and winesearcher) this one seems to be on quickest decline. 

Can not stand the forum platform they went with here as well. 

also surprised with who is left.  So many familiar names are gone, and miss most of them.  I also have reduced the purchases and consumption of higher end wine.  At my age a bottle that needs to age 10 years, will be consumed by the pall bearers.  

Our MTH thread has the most posts in the last few months.  Surprised that that thread is still open and not locked.

Some of us were not too welcoming to the newbies, and when they showed up, they were abused.

wineismylife posted:

Color me obtuse.  The new format has never bothered me in the slightest.

I had some issues getting logged in initially with the new format but since that, no issues.   If this is dying it's not because of the format; it's slow death started well before the change imho.

Still hate the new format, and for the most part it has lead to fewer posts and visits in general.  

I think the abusive nature towards newbies has driven a lot of people away over the years.  I got roasted my first post (surprisingly by B-O) because I didn't understand how naïve the post way (trying to sell FG Bordeaux to people I never met).  I stuck it out, but a lot of people would just go away.

What PurpleHaze said is most important to me, all of the great people I've met and had the chance to offline with.  Developed some truly great friendships here.  

I don't think the new format is the main culprit either.  It may contribute to it, but the decline in the forums is due to several factors - various forms of communications such as Facebook, Group Texts that don't cost anything, lack of new members who aren't selling anything, existing members are 10 years older and probably drinking and buying less, etc.  

As mentioned in previous threads, I've met some great folks here and developed great friendships.  It does take a certain thick skin to get over the initial flaming especially back in the day.  I still remember Parcival getting hauled to the online Guantanamo for <gasp> selling mailing list bottles at cost.  Classic thread.

The format doesn't bother me.  But the loss of a lot of great forumites has kind of made it a bit less interesting.  I was thinking of some of the forumites that I met at offlines in SD that I haven't seen posting in a while, like Aphilla, Parcival, and our locals like Shane or GregT (ex-local).  I hope it keeps going and we get a bit more participation in the wine conversations...me included.

wineismylife posted:

Well as much as we lament the problem is easily solvable.  We need to post more and regularly.  We are the solution.

Good point, Joe.  And for those of us who know members who've quit posting, let's give them a little kick in the a$$ to pop in from time to time.  I can count 20 friends who I met here who either don't post any more, or post very infrequently.  Strapping on my a$$ kicking boots this week.  wiml, I'm going to let you get Sapril back in the game, though.  

PH

purplehaze posted:
wineismylife posted:

Well as much as we lament the problem is easily solvable.  We need to post more and regularly.  We are the solution.

Good point, Joe.  And for those of us who know members who've quit posting, let's give them a little kick in the a$$ to pop in from time to time.  I can count 20 friends who I met here who either don't post any more, or post very infrequently.  Strapping on my a$$ kicking boots this week.  wiml, I'm going to let you get Sapril back in the game, though.  

PH

Seeing Pianist718 for dinner sometime soon? 

billhike posted:
purplehaze posted:
wineismylife posted:

PH

Seeing Pianist718 for dinner sometime soon? 

Yeah, right about the time you have Serge Birbriar over for cocktails.    Or is that too dated a reference?

PH

I don't know guys - for some reason the format makes it uninviting. There's something to be said for really simple black and white, or that reddish color they used to have with that indeterminate yellowish color. I think the idea is contrast between your comment box and everything else. I have no idea why that seems more inviting, but it does. On my computer this forum comes up as a washed out gray and white. It seems to be fading, ironically.

As to whether the whole concept of an internet forum is passé, I did that Google search suggested above. Not sure I agree that the concept is past, but there are indeed alternatives.

The problem with most of the alternatives, such as Facebook, etc., are that you generally end up only speaking to people you already know. I'm convinced that's why politics are so angry now - people spend all their time in their bubbles and never imagine that other people aren't just like them.

I hope this forum survives - I've met some great people through it, on both coasts, and I'm grateful for the opportunities to have done so.

I'll try to post more but I don't have much to say and my wife tells me that most of what I do say is useless anyway .  .  .

One reason for the decline in forum activity may be that with the new format, the button to enter the forums is hidden in the left margin without a label.  Newcomers perusing the WS site might not even know the forums are here.  This should be fixable by WS if it chooses to do so.

I am on a non-wine related forum.  The folks who run it changed the format awhile ago to make it "better".  Now, it is largely dead.

New is not always better.  But, the  slogan "new and improved" is a time honored expression. It just doesn't always work.  There are also times of the year when people tend to be busy with other things, such as summer vacations, winter holidays.

I, too, have met many forumites and without the forums would not have had a chance to do so. 

As to content, there have always been threads on entertainment, dining, travel and other things not necessarily wine related. I value the advice I've gotten from others on restaurants abroad and domestic, and travel sites and hotels. 

I would guess that there are proprietary data relating to the number of posts per day which would reflect whether the forums are dormant, dying, or otherwise. 

Irwin

Just to clarify i did not intend that entertainment, travel and other wine related things had no place but rather they should not be the dominant subjects which they are. This is a wine board for wine lovers. Newbies are not coming here  for movie or tv show recommendations, to find out what someone had dinner, who died, travel advice or political commentary they are coming here to learn about and talk about wine. We let that get away from ourselves and there is nothing to keep  their attention just a few curmudgeons griping about their peeve of the day. Long time posters gradually lose interest and leave. Lurkers have less reason to jump in and newbies find nothing so they dont bother to join in. Without a fresh supply of new posters this will die

billhike posted:
purplehaze posted:
billhike posted:
purplehaze posted

Yeah, right about the time you have Serge Birbriar over for cocktails.    Or is that too dated a reference?

PH

Ha! Serge pre-dates me on the forum. From what I understand that’s a good thing.

You have all the luck

I don't mind the look of the forum. The only thing that I find frustrating is the search function. It's so limited. Even the Advanced Search is next to useless.

• The default search is for "Everything", but I think it should be changed to "Forums" because (a) it allows you to search within specific Forums (e.g. "Wine Conversations" or "Travel and Entertainment") and (b) I expect most people don't know that they can switch between search types (Everything, Forums, Members, User Wall Posts) by clicking on the tiny blue dropdown at the top of the search page.
  • You can't limit your search to a specific content type, e.g. the Subject line, body text... Please add a "Content Type" field to the "Everything" and "Forums" search areas.
  • You can search for a user, but you can't search for posts by a specific user that contains specific words or phrases. For example, I'd like to search for posts by user OTW that contain the word "rosé". Can't do it. Please add a "User Name" field to the "Everything" and "Forums" search areas.
  • What are "Tags" and why is this a search field? I don't see anywhere on the forum that you can add tags to your posts. So what's the point of this field?
  • What are "User Wall Posts" (one of the search areas that you can select from the top dropdown menu)? I didn't know I could create my own "wall posts". Anyone want to tell me how to do it?

I also would like it if could actually "like" a post. I mean, the option is there at the bottom of every post but when you click on it, the popup says "We're sorry, you cannot like this reply." How dare the forum dictate what I can like and dislike! 😜 Either activate this feature or remove it.

sunnylea57 posted:

I don't mind the look of the forum. The only thing that I find frustrating is the search function. It's so limited. Even the Advanced Search is next to useless.

• The default search is for "Everything", but I think it should be changed to "Forums" because (a) it allows you to search within specific Forums (e.g. "Wine Conversations" or "Travel and Entertainment") and (b) I expect most people don't know that they can switch between search types (Everything, Forums, Members, User Wall Posts) by clicking on the tiny blue dropdown at the top of the search page.
  • You can't limit your search to a specific content type, e.g. the Subject line, body text... Please add a "Content Type" field to the "Everything" and "Forums" search areas.
  • You can search for a user, but you can't search for posts by a specific user that contains specific words or phrases. For example, I'd like to search for posts by user OTW that contain the word "rosé". Can't do it. Please add a "User Name" field to the "Everything" and "Forums" search areas.
  • What are "Tags" and why is this a search field? I don't see anywhere on the forum that you can add tags to your posts. So what's the point of this field?
  • What are "User Wall Posts" (one of the search areas that you can select from the top dropdown menu)? I didn't know I could create my own "wall posts". Anyone want to tell me how to do it?

I also would like it if could actually "like" a post. I mean, the option is there at the bottom of every post but when you click on it, the popup says "We're sorry, you cannot like this reply." How dare the forum dictate what I can like and dislike! 😜 Either activate this feature or remove it.

I agree with sunny.  I don't mind the format, but there is room for improvement on the functionality.

It will be a sad end of an era when they finally shut it down.  I have met lots of good people here and indirectly formed a hockey team I've been playing with for about 14 years or more.  

The format hasn't helped.  I think Cellartracker might be just as responsible, if not more responsible!  I look for tasting notes there and I post my notes there.  That's one major use of this forum that has become obsolete.

mareff posted:

I used to post an offline event and people would respond.  Now it seems that even our NY crew does not have the time to meet.  Maybe they do not want to meet me!

Absolutely 100 percent the reason!

Finally you're getting the message!  Took long enough!!! 

Add Reply

Likes (0)