Hot Sauce

quote:
Originally posted by g-man:
had this at a restaurant somewhere in ny, escapes me right now.

1 tblsp Sriracha
1/2 tblsp melted butter
broiled lobster meat.

Thanks g-man. I came into some lobster meat courtesy of east coast relatives. I substituted the garlic chili sauce though and loved it.
Back in 1998 a former friend of mine grabbed a bottle of After Death and poured himself a heaping teaspoon of it and immediately swallowed it despite my disbelief and active warning. 15 minutes later he was a snivelling, bawling, sweating puffball of redness and swelling. From that point on I now always keep some of the latest nasty-in-a-bottle stuff around tableside just in case... Smile
quote:
Originally posted by Captain Cancun:
Back in 1998 a former friend of mine grabbed a bottle of After Death and poured himself a heaping teaspoon of it and immediately swallowed it despite my disbelief and active warning. 15 minutes later he was a snivelling, bawling, sweating puffball of redness and swelling. From that point on I now always keep some of the latest nasty-in-a-bottle stuff around tableside just in case... Smile

There's always one guy in a crowd that thinks he can take it. I love that guy! Big Grin

Let's revisit THIS guy.
quote:
Originally posted by mneeley490:
quote:
Originally posted by Captain Cancun:

There's always one guy in a crowd that thinks he can take it. I love that guy! Big Grin

Let's revisit THIS guy.

Beautiful!!
We formed a cult around "Dave's Insanity Sauce" meals back in college. Each of us crowded around a table with a full gallon of milk and Taco's drenched in Dave's. Great stuff! (though not recommended that you rub your eyes when crying like I did... Dave's in the eye is an unpleasant experience).
Szechuan hot pepper oil.
2 cups worth

1/4 lb dried red chilies(hatch if not to spice, thai small red for extra spicy)

or you can buy them fresh.

1/4 cup of sichaun peppercorns
1 star anise
1 tea spoon of ginger
1 tea spoon of cinnamon
1 tea spoon of white pepper
(a take on the chiense 5 spice)
1 tbl spoon of salt

put in two cups of peanut oil, with spices.

Heat oil up

insert dried chilies.
As they start turning color, add sichaun peppercorn.

fry dried chilies and peppercorn until they're crunchy (and blackish)

turn off heat, take chilis and peppercorn out of oil and into mortar and pestle.

grind fine and put back into oil.

let cool and store it in jar.

Keep in fridge, stores for up to a year.
A friend of mine recently gifted me a small jar he made of what might be one of the best hot sauces i've had. its a cooked sauce, the usual onions, garlic etc - but for peppers he grew about a dozen different types of varying heat in his garden this summer - then smoked them, then charred and peeled the skin before use. Finished with cilantro and lime and i cant stop eating it. ive gone so far as to just drip it on bread.
quote:
Originally posted by vinoevelo:
A friend of mine recently gifted me a small jar he made of what might be one of the best hot sauces i've had. its a cooked sauce, the usual onions, garlic etc - but for peppers he grew about a dozen different types of varying heat in his garden this summer - then smoked them, then charred and peeled the skin before use. Finished with cilantro and lime and i cant stop eating it. ive gone so far as to just drip it on bread.

Sounds like homemade West Indies pepper sauce. In the Richmond Hill area in Queens the stores sell both homemade (no label) and commercially-made (I like Matouk's) sauces.
quote:
Originally posted by PD2K:
quote:
Originally posted by vinoevelo:

Sounds like homemade West Indies pepper sauce. In the Richmond Hill area in Queens the stores sell both homemade (no label) and commercially-made (I like Matouk's) sauces.

you golf?

i goto forest park a few times

i can shwo you how bad my swing is!
quote:
Originally posted by Board-O:
In special dishes, I often eschew the use of hot sauces and use several types of chilis.

FYI, "the use of" is not required verbiage to proceed the word "eschew" Roll Eyes

Additionally, my home grown, hybrid chilis have been used in champion winning chili cook-offs, and my chipotle hot sauce is to die for, absolutely! Smile
quote:
Originally posted by Wine and Food Expert:
quote:
In special dishes, I often eschew the use of hot sauces and use several types of chilis.

FYI, "the use of" is not required verbiage to proceed the word "eschew" Roll Eyes

Additionally, my home grown, hybrid chilis have been used in champion winning chili cook-offs, and my chipotle hot sauce is to die for, absolutely! Smile

Shag off. You suck.

PH
quote:
Originally posted by Wine and Food Expert:
quote:

In WaFE's little grammar lesson above, it's clear he/she/it has confused proceed with precede. The best part is, neither is correct because follow is actually the right word in context. Absolutely!

Tabasco Scorpion Sauce is what Tabasco should be. Instantly recognizable as Tabasco but with actual heat. A little thicker and has guava in it (you can't tell just adds some body and sweetness). It's not hot but it's a real hot sauce as opposed to a pepper vinegar that regular tabasco is. 

Very highly recommended.  

I switched some time ago to a milder brand, Cholula, as it's no fun anymore waking up in the middle of the night with acid reflux. But I had some regular Tabasco on eggs in a restaurant recently, and it really did seem like a vinegar sauce. I didn't remember it tasting like that.

Cholula and Tapatio are on about every table at places that serve tacos or Mexican food restaurants around here.

I've been making hot sauce from hot chilis from my pepper plants. I roast or smoke them until soft, then add to the Nutribullet with distilled or ww vinegar and salt, sometimes garlic powder and sometimes a bit of water. It blitzes it to a nice consistency and also pulverizes the seeds so nothing gets stuck in the woozy bottle cap holes. It's really easy to control the flavor and heat. I'll try adding fruit like the guava mentioned above. I think mango would work really well.

Good to know about the tobasco scorpion, i've stuck mostly with their chipotle cuz its the only thing iv'e had that doesnt just taste like vinegar and black pepper as you mentioned.

I'm fermenting some thai red chiles right now for my hot sauce.

No vinegar,  just salt, onions, garlilc, chiles and sugar.  Some brewers yeast to  get it started.

Add Reply

Likes (0)