Help pick the wines for my son's bar mitzvah

I thought I'd try a little crowd-sourcing for some assistance with the wine selection for our son's upcoming bar mitzvah. The venue where we are hosting the event does not permit me to supply my own wine and is forcing me to choose one red and one white from the options below. I'm not really familiar with these wines, so any help would be appreciated.

REDS:
- Wolf Blass Cabernet Sauvignon
- Bogle Petite Syrah
- Cetamura Chianti
- Willowglen Shiraz
- Firestone Select Cabernet Sauvignon
- Peller Estates Cabernet Merlot

WHITES:
- Oyster Bay Chardonnay
- Oyster Bay Sauvignon Blanc
- Cusumano Angime Chardonnay
- Wolf Blass Chardonnay
- Santa Margharita Pinot Grigio
- Firestone Vineyard Selection Chardonnay
- Peller Estates Chardonnay
- Antinori Casasole Orvieto

The menu has not yet been finalized, but suffice it to say that we are looking for wines with broad appeal that can be both sipped on their own as well as paired with food. I expect that the appetizers will include red pepper soup, mini burgers, vegetable rolls, and the mains will include lamb, salmon and a butternut squash ravioli.

Many thanks!
Original Post
Based on the food served and the limited selection, I would go with the petite sirah and the sauvignon blanc. Both would fall into "crowd pleaser" territoty and are decent enough wines in their own right. IMO, they are also varietals that can perform consistently well at lower price points. Good luck!
Bogle Petit Syrah is rather strong and has very deep blackberry flavors. It's inky in color. Always gets 86-88 pts from WS. It would go with the soup and the burgers and the lamb. But, sipping it on its own might be a bit dicey. I don't know the Peller estates wine, but since it is likely lighter, might be a better walking around and sipping choice.
The sauvignon blanc is a very drinkable wine.
Inexpensive chardonnay really tastes like crap.
And...Mazal Tov.
quote:
Originally posted by mike p:
Don't overthink this---it's just....wine. Smile
These should suffice and congrats!

--Wolf Blass Cabernet Sauvignon

--Santa Margharita Pinot Grigio

I acutally agree with these two also

that pinot grigio is always a big hit amongst quaffers at big parties

the wolf blass is a decent volume producer.

Add Reply

Likes (0)