Hello,

I am looking for new wines to try, searching for new wines on places like CellarTracker is daunting to say the least. I am mostly interested in reds with an emphasis on cabs and cab blends. Not a big fan of wines with more than 35% Merlot. Most of the wines I have tried are generally Washington and Napa cabs but I have become curious about French Bordeaux however I know very little about them.

If you could name off say 3 wines in the $50-$75 range that would be more of drink with friends or just at home by the fire / dinner wine and 1 wine that is in the $75-$150 for a special occasion wine.

Thanks

Original Post

Obviously this is vintage dependent, but in good vintages, some wines to consider in $50-$75 range:

Tua Rita Giusto di Notri; Tuscany

Chappellet (Signature) Cabernet; Napa

Chateau Poujeaux; Moulis (<$50)

Chateau Prieure-Lichine; Margaux

All of these wines require decanting for an hour + when young

Napa $75-$150

Di Costanzo Cabernet Farella Vineyard; Napa

Any Trujillo Reserve; Napa

Both of these wines  require a long decant when young.  2+ hours on the Trujillo Reserves.

Bordeaux $75-$150

Chateau Rauzan-Segla; Margaux (requires age and/or long decant)

Leoville-Poyferre; St. Julian (requires age and/or a long decant - some vintages absolutely require age)

Chateau Lynch-Bages; Pauillac (see note above)

If you want to splurge and go closer to $200

Chateau Montrose; St Estephe is my favorite in that price range with

Chateau Pichon-Baron; Pauillac  close behind.

Both require age to show their best.

The two Margaux listed have slightly more Merlot content than the other wines.

I will try and pick up a bottle of each of these this weekend to give them a try. For the Bordeaux how much age do you think they require before drinking at a minimum? Is it better to just try and find a bottle that already has some age on it?

Thanks.

“For the Bordeaux how much age do you think they require before drinking at a minimum? Is it better to just try and find a bottle that already has some age on it?”

Yes, for a bottle like Lynch Bages, you want a bottle with 20 years+ age.  Use wine-searcher.com.

Slave To The Grape posted:

I will try and pick up a bottle of each of these this weekend to give them a try. For the Bordeaux how much age do you think they require before drinking at a minimum? Is it better to just try and find a bottle that already has some age on it?

Thanks.

Bordeaux does vary producer to producer.  But, in general, I would say it is better to pick up Bordeaux with bottle age if you're planning on drinking it soon.  While the Poujeaux and Prieure-Lichine that I mentioned can show well with a long decant, wines like the Lynch Bages, Montrose, and Pichon Baron are generally best after 15 years in good vintages.  Often 20 or more years in very top vintages.  2003 was a good vintage for some of Bordeaux -- it does vary a bit by town and house -- but for the wines that did well in '03, now is when I'm beginning to really enjoy them.  And pricing is so strange that getting well-stored wines from that good vintage doesn't cost that much more than getting 2016s, which is also a good vintage, but not ready to drink for some time at the higher end.

Add Reply

Likes (0)