Skip to main content

My dad was a child of the 50s and early 60s, and a giant fan of the music with which he grew up.  When I was a kid in the early 70s, a local radio station broadcast the "History of Rock and Roll" one weekend, starting with Bill Haley's "Rock Around the Clock" (1954 if I recall) and playing an exhaustive compilation, in order by artist, through to the late 60s.  It was uninterrupted from Friday evening to Sunday night so there was a TON of music, and one of the local newspapers published the playlist ahead of time.  After spending time highlighting his choices, my dad spent the entire weekend (I literally don't think he slept) sitting with headphones on creating 7 or 8 tape reels on the giant reel-to-reel unit that found it's way home with him after an Army tour overseas.  These tapes were subsequently played during any party or family function for years, so the "oldies" were what I grew up with.  Classic doo wop, Buddy Holly, The Everly Brothers, and so on - that music holds a special place in my heart and I love it to this day.

Why do I tell that story?  Well, dad is now much older and battling pancreatic cancer.  After several rounds of chemo and radiation he is about to undergo an invasive, and risky given his age and condition, surgical procedure in a couple weeks.  His birthday is coming up just beforehand and my gift is an mp3 player with headphones that I want to pre-load with as many of these songs as I can find and fit so he can have something to close his eyes and enjoy when he needs to escape.  I've been searching for downloadable music but everything I've found is limited in that it's the same old "Best of" type album with the same 20-25 songs, or a Time Life type collection that would be perfect but isn't available in a downloadable format.  I can resort to iTunes but hunting for individual songs from memory would be a last option, and I'm honestly at a loss as this sort of thing is outside my realm of knowledge.

Does anyone know of a source that may have a broad collection available for download?  Hope this makes sense...

Last edited by Vino Bevo
Original Post

At this point downloading is not the way to go nor an MP3 player. You should subscribe to something like Spotify and use his phone's, or if he has one laptop's, Bluetooth it to a portable Bluetooth speaker. If you choose Spotify I can send you my oldies Spotify list with over a thousand songs I've created over years. They also have curated oldies list available on their app.

Last edited by The Old Man

Agree with TOM.  Spotify and any of the the other services have lots of pre-made playlists based on all sorts of genres, sub genres, artists, time periods, etc.  You can also quickly create your own playlist (and it can be huge) by adding greatest hits albums by your dad's favorite artists or compilations that match up to his tastes.  Another way for him to listen is Pandora which I have found works  well when you you start with a favorite artist or song and it plays a songlist based on that. It works particularly well if you give a thumbs up or down to songs as they play when you first use it and its song choices will become very aligned to your tastes. They also have many premade channels/stations that could work well.  Both services have free versions with commercials, while paid subscriptions get you ad free music and better sound quality (higher bitrate).

Last edited by vinole

Well, that was easy - he uses Consumer Cellular and they offered an iPhone that can replace his old Moto from 13 years ago, and I've already started picking artists and playlists for the new Spotify account I set up for him.  Will download the app for him when the phone arrives, and ordered a set of headphones with a lightning plug as it will be easier for him to manage than bluetooth.  Perfect!

Thanks for the help and change in direction guys!

Last edited by Vino Bevo

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.