Leaving next week for our honeymoon and our first trip to Jamaica. We are staying at Hedonism II in Negril. Anyone have any great locations that are cannot miss? I think one day during the week we are going to tour Appleton. Cheers! Mike
Original Post
vinosnob, I've looked at this post multiple times this a.m. and I'm not going to touch it. Have a blast on your honeymoon and congratulations. I have a friend who has been to that property and the name fits it perfectly. Jamaica is a 3rd world country and while it's "relatively" safe outside the resort walls, most of the time it doesn't feel like it.
Stay on property.

If going off, go as part of a tour that is booked at the hotel.

Make sure you go to "Jakes' for the sunset, and cliff diving. Get back before dark! [or be in a large group.
my buddy who went there in the 90's had great stories of that place. One in particular was an 80 year old man who was getting his manly parts painted blue by some ladies....

simply hilarious....
quote:
Originally posted by snipes:
Jamaica is a 3rd world country and while it's "relatively" safe outside the resort walls, most of the time it doesn't feel like it.
Snipes, looks like you touched it to me??
Never at Hedonism, but I've been to Jamaica twice. The last time was '95 in Negril. The beach is one of the best I've ever been to. You probably do just want to stay on the property, there are definitely safety issues there. Wine is not the particular way to enhance the Jamaican experience, BTW. Among other things the Red Stripe is very fresh.
When we arrived in Jamaica in 1983, we got in a van that was supplied by the hotel at which we stayed in Ocho Rios for the trip to the hotel.
On the way, the van stopped for a dead body and police investigation taking place on the highway.

I understand it is not as safe as it was then.

Stay on the property.
Never been but after reading this I asked a Jamaican lady who works for me how it is for tourist. She recommends hiring a driver for the week. She says they are cheap, safe, and take you wherever you want to go whenever you want to. Congratulations.
I was married in Negril in 1990, and have been to JA many times in the 80's. My wife and I love the place, although its been a long 18 years since we've been.

Yes, there are safety concerns and its best to stay on the property after hours, but I never felt threatened during the day.

You definitely must catch sunsets at Rick's Cafe (maybe Rick's is now Jake's?) and if Jenny's Cakes is still around you got to try her bannana bread.

I never took the bus to the resorts from Montego, but instead chose to travel by taxi and get the local flavor. Ask for Cadillac Charlie, and if he's retired I'm sure his 1980's Caddy is being driven by one of his offspring.

Don't buy any contraband at the airport and keep your wits about you as the airport can be a bit hairy once you've landed and are coming to grips with your new surroundings.

Have a good one mon!
It's been 8 years since my visit.
We stayed at Sandals Resorts in Montego Bay and Negril.

Agree on staying on property after dark.
Locals used to be able to walk the Negril Beach in front of properties...watch your belongings.

You may have to get aggressive with some male locals...who seem to believe tourists 'Owe Them'.

My wife and I really enjoyed the Sandals properties...the one in Negril was right beside Hedonism...there were some eye-popping things that went on there... Eek Razz Wink

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.