quote:
Originally posted by haggis:
Birthday greetings to two humorists of a sort:

Steve Martin


Humorist, author, playwright, serious banjo player ( Grammy winner) and a brilliant art collector.

Renaissance Man. Cool
quote:
Originally posted by wine+art:
quote:
Originally posted by haggis:
Birthday greetings to two humorists of a sort:

Steve Martin


Humorist, author, playwright, serious banjo player ( Grammy winner) and a brilliant art collector.

Renaissance Man. Cool


+1
quote:
Originally posted by haggis:
Happy 78th to Carl Yastrzemski. One of the greats.

Triple Crown winner in 1968 (I think) and a great clutch hitter who knew the Green Monster well.
quote:
Originally posted by Board-O:
quote:
Originally posted by haggis:
Happy 78th to Carl Yastrzemski. One of the greats.

Triple Crown winner in 1968 (I think) and a great clutch hitter who knew the Green Monster well.

He's the reason I'm a Red Sox fan. When I started watching baseball as a little boy I was drawn to him because I thought his batting stance was cool and, although I had no connection to the city of Boston, decided they would be my team. As I got older and Boston had a couple Texas Longhorns on the squad (Spike Owen, who I still love, and Roger Clemens, not so much) it just reinforced my allegiance.

One of my favorite quotes after he became the first American League player to record more than 3,000 hits and more than 400 home runs in 1979:

"I'm very pleased and very proud of my accomplishments, but I'm most proud of that. Not (Ted) Williams, not (Lou) Gehrig, not (Joe) DiMaggio did that. They were Cadillacs and I'm a Chevrolet."

Happy birthday Yaz!
quote:
Originally posted by wine+art:
quote:
Originally posted by haggis:
Happy 85th to Sen. John McCain


Godspeed.


No kidding!
A big day today!

Happy...
88th to Barbara Walters ("Babba Wawa")
73rd to Michael Douglas
66th to Mark Hamill
49th to Will Smith
48th to Catherine Zeta-Jones
The most beautiful person I know, the single most important thing in my life, and the absolute joy of same - Mrs. Vino Bevo!!
quote:
Originally posted by haggis:
Happy 75th to Joe Biden


+1. I think Joe is the politician I'd most like to have a beer with.

PH
quote:
Originally posted by PurpleHaze:
quote:
Originally posted by haggis:
Happy 75th to Joe Biden


+1. I think Joe is the politician I'd most like to have a beer with.

PH


I would agree.
quote:
Originally posted by billhike:
The NHL 100 years old.


Damn, I thought it was only 25 years old Smile Well, the Lightning are 25 years old LOL
quote:
Originally posted by billhike:
The NHL 100 years old.


I did not know that. Staying on the sports theme, happy 83rd to Al Kaline
Kaline never played a day in the minors. I was at a Yankee game when he dove and caught the last out of the game and broke his collarbone. Everyone stayed until he was carried off.
Al Kaline was born in Baltimore.

My father was not born in the US, and when he came here he knew nothing about baseball, but he wanted to assimilate so he tried to learn the sport. My father was a chemist.
So, one day, as the Tigers were coming to town for a weekend series, my father said to my brother and me, "What the Senators need is an acid pitcher."
My brother and I didn't understand and asked him what he meant.
He said, "They need someone to neutralize Alkaline."
quote:
Originally posted by haggis:
quote:
Originally posted by billhike:
The NHL 100 years old.


I did not know that. Staying on the sports theme, happy 83rd to Al Kaline


As a kid in Windsor I went to many Tigers games and so saw Al Kaline play many times. We usually sat in the right field seats so saw him up close on long flies.

Bill Freehan, Mickey Lolich, Mark the Bird, great times!
quote:
Originally posted by bman:
quote:
Originally posted by haggis:
quote:
Originally posted by billhike:
The NHL 100 years old.


I did not know that. Staying on the sports theme, happy 83rd to Al Kaline


As a kid in Windsor I went to many Tigers games and so saw Al Kaline play many times. We usually sat in the right field seats so saw him up close on long flies.

Bill Freehan, Mickey Lolich, Mark the Bird, great times!


My uncle absolutely loved Kaline. The Tigers have trained in Lakeland forever so there were always plenty of opportunities to see them and get autographs during the spring. That said..he retired before I could see him Smile
quote:
Originally posted by Pinotlvr:
Happy 61st Birthday to my favorite guitarist, Dave Murray of Iron Maiden!

A shared celebration with Eddie Vedder.

Add Reply

×
×
×
×
Link copied to your clipboard.
×